Taxachusetts strikes again!!!

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yea, Romex is correct, BUT in South Carolina, you don't need a license plate on your boat trailer. If you are over 64, you can get a combined hunting/fishing license for $8 which is good for a lifetime. Although we do have a personal property tax on boats and motors, our property taxes on our homes are low (mine...1/2 mile from the ocean, 2000 sq ft with 2 car garage, LESS than $800 a year) Also, sales tax on a boat is limited to $300. Sales tax in MD on a $70K boat...$4200....in SC $300.

And that lawyer with the $300,000 tax bill? he has been a tax scoffer for years and his "boat" is a multi million dollar mega-yacht!

I'll take SC any day over my native "tax ya to death" Maryland.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
miker said:
i was told mass is on the verge of making you have a safety course also ,so with 20%unemployment lets taxem more thanks devil

Personally I think all states should mandate a boaters safety course for the registered owner. Last season I pulled in a dead in the water 19' bowrider with 9 people on board with a storm approaching. If that guy had a safety course it might not have happened. I did have assistance from the Coast Guard and local Fire Dept. rescue boat. When he got ashore the Coast Guard had a field day issuing him summonses for outdated and missing equipment. 5 children had ski vests and no C.G. approved PFD's. Lucky for them no one was hurt. Sorry I went on but this burns me up. I've seen too many ignorant boaters out there and in one instance many years ago I used my safety course knowledge to save my butt. I recently took the course again and made my wife take it too.

As far as the salt water licence goes, Well here's my take on this. In New York it's manditory for anyone fishing to have a licence. Well, What happens if my wife is on the boat who does not fish and she happens to pick up a pole. Bamn, that's a ticket or even better if an out of state guest comes aboard. I think the license should be issued to the boat for say a higher yearly fee then the individual license cost. Say 50 dollars a year verses 10 dollars for each person. For those that fish from land, Dock or surf cast they would require individual licenses. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally against the salt water license which I actually aleady purchased :evil:

Another complaint I have with this is like others have mentioned is needing different licenses for neighboring state waters. Those of you that fish the Long Island Sound would need a Conn. license as well. Same with New Jersey and Rhode Island? (not sure if there's a license needed or not) and Mass. as well. How about a universal license covering all coastal water verses state licenses or all states honoring any state license as long as you honor the size and take limits which is already a requirement. It's inevitable All states will see the revenue income and join in. Why not make it fair for everyone.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Virginia requires a salt water fishing license for a boat but it covers everyone on the boat and can also be used by the purchaser to fish from shore. I just check the VA web site and it says $38. a year (I cousd swear I paid forthy-something). VA also requres individual fishing licenses for those without boats fishing from shore.

Gary

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We have the boater safety cource in NJ. Either people forget whatever they learned from the classes or don't give a _______ because it didn't change a thing the way people boat. Personally I feel it's a good idea to have the class since many boaters cannot tie a rope to a cleat or have any clue about buoys.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
And that lawyer with the $300,000 tax bill? he has been a tax scoffer for years and his "boat" is a multi million dollar mega-yacht!

Dave, you are right on the mark with this one. He's been avoiding paying anything for years now. Interesting that since he received the tax bill the boat's moved on somewhere else.

miker

Reaction score
im all for training courses i've had my certificate for years my thing is our gov saw it as a money maker for him and didn't say where the money is going when we vote for scott brown maybe he can make it a boat fishing licence instead of individual

Zebulon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable, do you really think they'll stop there???

VOTE FOR SCOTT BROWN TODAY!!!!!

romex

Reaction score
I just read on another forum that you guys are also charged over 100.00 dollars a foot for a marina slip. One boater states his fee is $185.00 per foot. THIS IS CRAZY , i think he was from Conn.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
romex said:
I just read on another forum that you guys are also charged over 100.00 dollars a foot for a marina slip. One boater states his fee is $185.00 per foot. THIS IS CRAZY , i think he was from Conn.
Hell, I've got that beat. I looked into going to Rhode Island for a week this upcoming summer (2010) I own a time share and thought I'd make a boating adventure/summer vacation. I got a quote for a one week slip rental for 1,600.00. :roll: You can keep your quaint little state and shove it sideways. I'll take the 1,600.00 and fly to the Bahamas.

Oh yeah, Typical docking by me is about 150.00 a foot LOA. But hey, I did get my two year fishing license for free. Not really sure why though?

boatz

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Slip fees

I pay $175.00/ft for a slip in Cape Cod.
I heard it is going up to $195.00 by may. I hope it is just a rumor,