Teak Cleaner

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
I have some teak, such as the swim deck, rod holders and some trim that has turned grey. None of the above uses any varnish.

Looking for some suggestions to bring it back to life.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
"Sudsy amonia" is all you need, and it's cheap. Scrub it with a soft-bristle brush, and rinse. Comes up like new.

ONEMORE

Reaction score
I have used for years Simple Green cleaner and a small finger nail scrub brush. Let teak dry and I use Tip top Teak Oil a couple of coats and you can get two season out of it. Not much work for the reward of people saying wow looks great.!

ticklestik

Reaction score
On my old boat, I used Snappy. It's a 2-part application. The 1st bottle turns the teak black and you scrub it then rinse with water. The 2nd bottle turns the teak golden. After it drys, I used Tip Top Teak oil. It lasted about 3-4 months in full sunlight.

tibeachguy

Reaction score
ONEMORE said:
I have used for years Simple Green cleaner and a small finger nail scrub brush. Let teak dry and I use Tip top Teak Oil a couple of coats and you can get two season out of it. Not much work for the reward of people saying wow looks great.!

Where do you get this Simple (y) Green cleaner. I know I have heard of it before but I have not been able to locate any. My wife picked up some "Mean Green" cleaner for me this weekend. Do you think that will work?

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice. I did tried Simple Green and then I tried straight Ammonia. I have to say the Ammonia did the best job by far. It started to work right away. I brushed it on using a small paint brush and then started to scrub it with a scrub brush then rinsing it with water. I then waited 24 hours and applied Teak Oil. WOW, it really pops now!

Thanks Again,
Rod