Teak Oil & Sealer

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
It's that time of the year and in getting my 27 year old boat ready I'm wondering what Teak Oil and or Sealer to buy this time. My biggest problem is the swim deck which takes the most abuse, saltwater and sun. In the past I've used a Teak treatment that had a varnish in it and that seemed to last pretty good but as it wore through the season from the elements it looked pretty nasty. I'm hoping that there has been some advances with Teak that someone could share.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Only thing I know is to keep sanding/oiling it or get a few coats of varnish on it. That or replace it with starboard!

Newtgadget

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.t-c-pro.com
I just purchased another boat where we will be re-doing all the Teak. On my previous boats we used something called Chromaclear??. My understanding is that it is automotive clear coat finish. It is a 2 part mix.
We have used it before and it held up extremely well.
Stripping off any old varnish, lightly sanding, then staining and applying the product above was what we did prior.
I'm not sure if it is still available or not.

Best of luck!

Newtgadget

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.t-c-pro.com
I went thru some of my old boating files and found the info on what I used previously.
Do a search on youtube for Integrity finishing. That was the procedure we did previously and will do again with the exception all teak will be removed from the boat.

Attachments

• Chromaclear.tiff
    815.3 KB · Views: 1,036

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was looking at my teak yesterday. I also have a teak swim platform that requires periodic attention. I no longer bother with the three step program. I just pressure wash, light surface sand, and brush on teak oil. I do not have a brand preference, because none of them seem to last very long. This time I have some Atwood and some Watco left over from last season. Maybe I'll do half/half with each on swim platform and see which lasts the longest. I hesitate to apply any varnish type finish on teak. Even though it initially lasts longer than teak oil, after that it is a major chore to remove and reapply new coats. Just my opinion.

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
VeroWing said:
I was looking at my teak yesterday. I also have a teak swim platform that requires periodic attention. I no longer bother with the three step program. I just pressure wash, light surface sand, and brush on teak oil. I do not have a brand preference, because none of them seem to last very long. This time I have some Atwood and some Watco left over from last season. Maybe I'll do half/half with each on swim platform and see which lasts the longest. I hesitate to apply any varnish type finish on teak. Even though it initially lasts longer than teak oil, after that it is a major chore to remove and reapply new coats. Just my opinion.

Well said, I agree with you. I guess I'm hoping for a better solution for what I've had poor results with. I do enjoy the teak when it looks clean and colorful instead of the grey it turns to after a while. It seems that spending extra money on a higher quality product isn't all that beneficial.