Teleflex Power Steering Problem

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I received a notice from Teleflex to check my power steering unit late in the fall (just before bringing the sled in for layup). I noticed that the steering wasn't all that responsive leaving the dock, but then it cleared up.

My dealer was bringing the boat in off his dock and noticed the same thing. They investigated and are working with Teleflex to replace the entire unit. Let me just say the process of working with Teleflex has been slow at best. If this were boating season, I'd be going nuts by now.

If you have power steering in your boat, you may want to check this out in before spring so you don't get held up.

OCgrady330

Reaction score
I have an 06 330 and have replaced Seastar power assist pump 3 times and the helm assembley once. Any small leakage will cause the steering to become unresponsive. No fun in a 20 knot wind. Not sure of the problem, boat has 300 hours. I have a friend with an 07 330 with 50 hours whos steering has become unresponsive and is back at the dealer. Anyone else having problems.

Fishtales

Reaction score
There was a Teleflex Advisory Notice Copy Part# 810126 dated 09/2009 for BOATS FITTED WITH POWER ASSISTED HYDRAULIC STEERING" that details the issue with the power steering assist pump. Inconsistent or sticky steering or steering cylinder is leaking or weeping oil.

Basically you need a new "component" replacement and a complete flush.

They also state that adding an autopilot pump or performing other service may inadvertently introduce contaminats such as water or debris into the system.

Additional info at http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/SPAmanuals/ or call 604.248.3858 on your dime.

I just want the power assist pump provided to my dealer asap so I can get the boat shrink wrapped at this point. I've been waiting a month while they check this, change this little part etc before finally bellying up and agreeing to change the whole pump. If this were in season, I'd be really ticked off.....

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am definitely not a fan of Teleflex. First thing I found out was the adventure of forgetting to take throttles out of synch before docking; you have to turn off ALL engines and restart to reboot the controls. I have several hundred dollars of gel repair as a result, LOL, not knowing that my forgetting to hit the synch button would create a total lack of control at the dock!

Combined with the port trim / throttle control falling apart multiple times, even super glue will not hold the plastic pieces together, I think Teleflex produced some problems that I will be living with for a long time. Thanks to 5200 and some duct tape, which I get folks on board to laugh at fortunately, I can use the throttles but in the grand scheme of things, I have to laugh at the situation.