Teleflex Sea Star Cylinder Leak

jrem

Reaction score
Have had a slow leak from the cylinder seals and have been keeping up with it by topping off at the helm.

For the seal kit/replacement: Marina wants 4 hours labor + parts
For a cylinder replacement: They want 2 hours labor + parts for a cylinder replacement.

How easy is it to do either of these on your own? I assume it would only be recommended to do these out of water?

Thoughts?

fishman

Reaction score
Just did mine last week. took me about 2 hours. Got the kit from ebay for $100 including the spanner wrench. Mine was the one that you replaced both glands on either side. One side was frozen but I managed to get it off with a breaker bar. Bled out the system at the helm with the filler hose (also from ebay for $15) and everything seems OK. If you're mechanically inclined you can do it. I left mine on the boat to do.

ioffe

Reaction score
I did mine last weekend. Got the kit from Amazon for $96. It took about one hour to replace. Two people required for bleeding part. Easier than I thought it would be.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Depending on corrosion (preventive maintenance is your friend), you should be able to do it yourself with just a few tools. Your marina isn't even in the ball park unless you have no other choice. FWIW, the seals will only fix a leak due to seal failure, it won't fix a problem with the operating rods (at least not for very long) ... :wink: