TERMITES! Need some answers....

loafer-roatan

Reaction score
Hello Collective:
I own a 1997 Chase 263 and live in Roatan Honduras. I recently removed a hatch covering to inspect the starboard through-hull fittings and found a small termite nest. Panic set in and I started checking all removable panels I could find. Found two other small nests on top of the gas tank. Front and Rear. I went to the nearest hardware store and bought a variety of insect foggers. I dropped 6 of them in the hull. I'm extremely worried of what I can't see down below. Because I'm in Honduras, I can't have the boat properly treated with a tent and extended fumigation. Any other methods I can use to protect my baby or should I just keep dropping foggers in her?
Thanks
AE
12003412_10156088120595038_7901862242431178606_n.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
That sucks...
From the web...

•Try the topical application first. If you look closely above the piles of frass, you'll see very small holes where the termites pump their feces out of their nests. Sometimes, they holes will plug up, so if you see a discolored spot of wood above the pile, poke at it. It will give way. At most home supply stores you'll find aerosol cans of termite poison attached to a tube and suction cup surrounding a needle. Insert the needle into the hole and press the applicator for a few seconds. Don't be surprised if the pressure in the can forces the poison out of another hole a few inches along the wood. Closely examine every exposed wood surface looking for similar holes above the tell tale frass piles. Repeat the treatment. If you are lucky, this is all it will take to kill the pests.

•Don't waste your time with an aerosol bomb. Termites live inside the wood and the bomb at best will kill a few bugs swarming from one part of your boat to another.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_2389190_kill-termites-boat.html

loafer-roatan

Reaction score
Ok, after the two day concentrated fogging using various brands of indoor fogger, I went out today and opened all the inspection ports and gave her a good wash down with a high pressure garden house. I also went under the console and got in the areas aft and forward and sprayed as much water into holes, up into the gunwale and under the fish boxes as possible. I did find some old termite tracks, but I did not find a single live termite anywhere. I'll repeat the process every five days for about a month to make sure any larvae or eggs that are still alive will be killed. I'm also planning on taking out the side rod holder/panels and the main deck above the gas tank to do a thorough inspection after the fogging is done......Light at the end of the tunnel.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Problem with using fogs and spot treatments is that they'll kill termites present at the time, but there are still eggs that will hatch after treatment grows old. Living in Florida, termites, ants etc are always a threat to anything with wood. Best diy treatment I've come across, by far, is a combination of either Bifen I/T or Talstar, combined or followed with a treatment of Precor. All of these products are applied by adding several ounces to a gallon of water and applied through a spray type container. The Bifen/Talstar will kill ants, termites, etc for months with one application, and the Precor will destroy and stop the creation of eggs. This is a recommended treatment for perimeters of houses down here. All of these products are available through internet sellers such as amazon, etc.

cgmiller

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that termites need moisture and high humidity..the best thing you can do is get lots of air inside the hull of the boat to dry up the moisture...repeatedly washing the inside with a hose will keep the interior of the hull wet and damp.