Terrible Sewage Smell

LS430FL

Reaction score
Hey guys, new member her but have owned several Grady Whites. Recently on my 2006 300 Marlin I have noticed that whenever somebody flushes the head, there is a terrible sewage smell on deck. There is not really a smell in the actual head, but as soon as somebody flushes, you can immediately smell it in the cockpit. The discharge seacock is closed so its not like it is pumping overboard or anything. Also, I got a pump out over the weekend to make sure the tank level sensor wasn't wrong and the tank wasn't so full it was leaking or something but even after the pump out the smell still occurs. Has anybody else had this problem? Do I have a leak or something? Any help is greatly appreciated.

freddy063

Reaction score
how far is your vent from where you smell it?

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
I had this happen to my 04 Marlin. As strange as it sounds, vent was clogged. May not be your problem, but it's easy to check.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Do you have chemical in your holding tank?

If you don't have something in there for odor control, it will stink.

Use a biodegradable RV chemical.

LS430FL

Reaction score
Yes, I do have chemical in there. I made sure i put extra after I just had it pumped out. The smell is strong from the captains chair all the way to the back of the boat. Last for about 10 seconds. How would I check to see if the vent is clogged? Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm thinking the tank was overfilled at one point and the vent is clogged. I'd be interested in how to clean out as well. Is it running a snake down the vent?

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
I would try snaking a non sharp small cable or wire through the vent opening on the outside for six inches or so. If you don't find any resistance or blockage, it's not the vent.

Not saying this is an approved method, it just worked for me.

LS430FL

Reaction score
heading to the boat this weekend....ill let you know how it goes...

stevblutu15

Reaction score
Sanitation hose is not completely pervious to smell. It can often absorb it and need to be replaced. There are also holding tank vent filter which allieviate the smell. There is the big orange filter and one made by Sealand I blelieve. Good luck.

Grandpapat

Reaction score
Look on the top of holding tank where you just might find a three inch diameter open hole where the tank saver valve is supposed to be. The valve protects the tank from imploding if you vacuum pump the tank when the vent is clogged. It and it's sealing gasket can blow out of the hole if the tank is nearly full and vent is blocked and the toilet gets flushed. Allows effluent and gases to escape.