Texturing ceiling of cabin?

greyg8r

Reaction score
The head of my 89 Sailfish has this white, vinyl-like layer that is old and torn. I am considering pulling off the whole thing and texturing with a blown on texture kit that they sell at Home Depot.

Is this crazy? Does anyone have any other ideas? I will post pics once I return in about a week.

Richard

freddy063

Reaction score
mmmm.....? I need to something to my boat too. But I never thought of that. :?

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would be very concerned about using it unless it's one of the plasticized versions but I haven't seen them in years. It will flake off easily, is extremely abrasive, but more importantly, it is not good in high humidity locations. Mold and mildew seem to love the stuff and once growing, it's very difficult to get rid of. It's usually easier to just scrape it off, treat the base area, and reapply. Painting the textured will help but will not prevent the mold and mildew from getting in there. I think I'd look for something else.

Gary 89 Overnighter

Conjuror

Reaction score
I would be worried about the flex of your boat and cracking.

greyg8r

Reaction score
Any other ideas for texturing the ceiling?

beagleboy

Reaction score
how about that spray on truck bedliner ? It is a hard rubberlike substance that really wears well and didnt crack while on my truck.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Is it cleanable if you get some mold/mildew staining?

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The bed liner spray isn't a bad idea. I've seen some class A motor homes where the owner replaced the bra protecting the front with the bed liner spray. One guy had a very course surface and the others were pretty smooth. It definitely protected the fiberglass - stone strikes that would have chipped the paint hardly made an impression. I've only seen black used on the motor homes but I've seen other colors used on pickups.

If you persue this, let us know what you learn.
Gary 89 Overnighter

beagleboy

Reaction score
in the truck bed iused to spray it down with house . very cleanable and no mildew.

greyg8r

Reaction score
gwwannabe said:
The bed liner spray isn't a bad idea. I've seen some class A motor homes where the owner replaced the bra protecting the front with the bed liner spray. One guy had a very course surface and the others were pretty smooth. It definitely protected the fiberglass - stone strikes that would have chipped the paint hardly made an impression. I've only seen black used on the motor homes but I've seen other colors used on pickups.

If you persue this, let us know what you learn.
Gary 89 Overnighter

So, you want me to be the sucker guinea pig... J/K I have to do something, so this might make sense.

Questions: Where can I buy this? In a auto parts store? Is it brushed on, rolled on, sprayed with compresser? Is it like the original Model T, "Available in any color you want as long as it is black."?

beagleboy

Reaction score
The first thing they did was rough up the bed of the truck with a grinder then I believe it was sprayed on. I was pretty nervous about a grinder in a new truck but it worked out really well. The color was a dark blue to match truck so it was an extra charge but not too bad. There are a lot of speciality afttermarket businesses that do this so look in yellow pages. I think Cabellas is even advertising some stuff you can roll on.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
>> So, you want me to be the sucker guinea pig... J/K I have to do something, so this might make sense.

Well, necessity is the mother of invention...

Actually, I don't know if it can be done or if an installer would be willing to try it. The only applications of this stuff I know about is spray on and I'm having difficulty visualizing that taking place in such a small, enclosed space, to say nothing about covering everything. I'm also having difficulty imagining what it would look like when done, whatever color is used. Lots of research is needed.

Gary 89 Overnighter

reefer

Reaction score
what about just putting in a outdoor carpet - I'm updating the old whtie fur with a nice carpet now in my overnighter.

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would not try this.

The bedliner material is likely designed to stick to a clean METAL surgace, not a plastic/fiberglass surface on a boat. You may end up seriously screwing your boat up. I imagine the materials eat into the material to get a good bond, not sure how that would play on your boats non-metallic surface.

Why not sand and paint?

gw82bahama

Reaction score
The material that is used for bed liners is Polyurea. It is a two part spray on material that depending on whose at the end of the hose can be rough textured or smooth. Itcomes in colors but most places buy in 50 gal drums or 30 gal drums. It can be a mess in the cabin with overspray. This is a commericial application. They may have have some touch up kits in auto or home depot. This is a flexible material and just has to be 60 to 90 mils thick. They use it for waterproofing pools and fountains. Some colors are UV stabilized. They bed liners spray a second mist coat for the rough texture.