Thanks for all the information - Sailfish 282!

Gray-Sea

Reaction score
Multiple searches here have gotten me all the information I could hope for - and then some!

The Sailfish and Marlin seem to be the sweet spot for us in the Grady lineup. We went to look at a 330 Express a few months back and actually didn't like it. I much prefer the Marlin to the Express, and that shocked me. I was ready to fall in love with the 330, and I couldn't, even though I tried. I'm a big guy and that cabin entry was awkward to say the least.

Dropping down to the 282 seems to be a good idea. It's big enough, but small enough. We've found a few early 2000s vintage 282s in our area that are also in our price range, so I think we're going to try to pull the trigger on one within a few weeks. The F225s terrify me because of the corrosion issue, and I was worried about the 200s not being enough power, but the threads I've read here have sold me on the 200s being enough power for the boat.

We've been very fickle in our boat search over the last year, but I think we're finally settling in on this as our next boat. We want to be able to dabble in a little local cruising, but this will primarily be a inshore/offshore family fishing rig. On our last two boats we averaged around 25 hours a month on the water from May to September. Lots of time afloat. :<><

That being said, even thought there are plenty of 282 threads, if anyone wants to weigh in with stories, photos, or Sailfish happiness I would certainly welcome it! 8)

Thanks again, you guys are great.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome here sir!

You are not alone in your feelings about the Sailfish and Marlin. They were the flagships of the line for many, many years. There are several of us here who would prefer a 33 w/a to the center helm. I think Danny had a name for it but says if he moves up it would be to another brand :sorry

I love the lines on the 330. The cabin is gorgeous but I just much prefer the 300 helm layout. Hardly anyone ever sits at the helm on Megabytes as they prefer to be in the fresh air so all that seating would be wasted on my boat.

As to your choice - I owned a 272 before my 300. They are both great boats. The 300 is simply a larger version. One aspect I really like is the extra helm space and width between the seats. That aside it is really a question of how much you wish to spend.

I have the F225s and never had any issues. Knock on wood. :jaw

the.devo

Reaction score
Before you go and buy the 282 w/200s, I want to stop you. First off, I have a 2000 272 w/twin ox66 200s. She runs great with a top end of 37 knots in calm seas, w/ full fuel and 3 adults. BUT, she drinks like a fish on spring break. I just got it last year and it was running at about 45 gph WOT which breaks down to about $500 (fuel and oil) a day for 12 hours of fishing. If you can find one with 225s get it. WOT drops to about 38 gph which doesn't hurt as much at the pump.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've got a 272 style and I love it. I've only owned it for only a year so i'm still in the honeymoon period. I've got E-tec 200HOs on mine which are 220HP. My performance numbers are here:

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/post/reb ... 1278724041

I feel like this boat is just perfect for me in just about every way. It's big enough for some comfort for the family yet small enough that I can handle it by myself at the slips. I'm not sure how comfortable I would be docking a Marlin by myself. Also, I'm using about 1/3 less fuel than a guy I now with a Marlin with older 225 Yamaha 2-strokes.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Could not agree more with the previous posters. If you have the option of 4 strokes that would be my pick. There have been lots of horror stories about corrosion but I know many owners including myselfy that have 2004 engines with close to 1,000 hours and no corrosion issues. Some have stated the corrosion is more prevalent in warmer waters. I am in the northeast.
Good Luck the Sailfish is a great rig

2006 Adventure 208

Reaction score
I run a 2006 F 225 on my Grady. It has almost 1000 hours on it now and have not had any problems with it. No corrosion. Runs great !

HBSteve

Reaction score
We just bought a 2005 Sailfish 282 w/250 Yamahas. Frankly we would have got the Marlin because we like the size (We down sized from a Bertram 33). 2005 or better Marlins with 4 strokes were just too much money for us. We love the Sailfish though. We cruise at 25-27mph and use about 1.5 mpg w/full load. There are the size considerations though. No generator or inverter means no microwave or hot showers without carrying a honda/yamaha generator. The v-berth is a little cramped. I'm 6'1" and the wife is 5'7". The mid-berth is good for one adult. Not even newlyweds could sleep in that comfortably though. Bump your head a lot until you remember where to duck. Not much "domestic" storage for food, pots/pans or clothing (if you like to keep that stuff on board all the time). Our Bertram33 was like an RV and the Sailfish is more of a truck bed camper. That being said, it's a great boat. Simple, sturdy, wonderful hull design, quality all the way around and economical to own and run. Four strokes are a must though. Quieter, newer, last longer, easier to maintain and much better resale.

capeguy

Reaction score
I have a 2006 282 with F225 engines. No corrosion issues, just checked this fall. I have ahd the boat for 3 summers and have really enjoyed it. we have yet to overnight, perhaps this summer, as it is tough logistically to do with the family and all the activities.

I runat about 28mph, 4000rpm or so, and get about 1.4-1.5mpg when perfectly trimmed and medium load. She fishes really well and is big enough to handle most weather I encounter, yet not too big to handle.

Really like the boat. One thing to look for is that in 2006 models, the headliner has a tendency to crack in the winter during cold temps and large/rapid temp swings. It has happened every winter and is a real pain. GW has fixed it each time, but my boat is gone for 7-10 days for them to do it. It doesn't address the underlying problem. Not looking forward to removing the shrink wrap after this winter. I don't think other model years had this issue...