Thanks to someone

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
While getting the boat ready for Spring, I was having problems getting water pressure in the freshwater system. I recalled someone mentioning thee is a filter to clean. I pulled the tackle station, found the filter, and lo and behold it was indeed clogged.

After cleaning it out, my freshwater system is working great. Whoever posted that tip save me at least $100 for a service call.

THANKS! :D

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hey Mega,

Can you pinpoint the filter and how to access it? Good catch.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Remove the tackle station. The filter is attached to the pressure pump. Unhook the supply hose, then the filter will unscrew from the pump. Once out you can twist the top to take it apart. It has a very fine mesh wire screen so it clogs rather easily. Be sure to check there are no leaks when hooking everything back.

dunwurkin

Reaction score
Hi - Don't know if it was me -- but I did write about the filters a while back as I was having problems with gunk in the tanks. Found out about the filters from GW - Bert -- Mentioned to him that GW should put in the manuals all the locations of filters and other such items. I know some of the other pumps have filters (e.g. livewell) and probably others. Wish GW would list them. Would save a lot of money and frustrations if owners knew about them

By the way, on 2003 and earlier Marlins, the fresh water pump is on the port side in the berth behind the steps leading to the cabin.

REgards and great that you save yourself some much needed gas money.

SlimJim

Reaction score
is this just on the Marlins or other Gradys as well? Is it on the 265 Express?

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
my fresh water system stopped on the weekend and I haven't looked at it yet but i would be very interested if there is a filter on the 265 as well and where is the pump anyway??????thanks in advance.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Megabytes, when you said you pulled the tackle station, what exactly do you mean by that. Thanks.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
At the back of the starboard side cockpit console under the sink there is an insert tackle station with slide out plastic boxes. It is held in by about 8 screws. The entire unit will slide out after removing the screws. This will provide access to the freshwater pump, filter, and hot water heater.

I'm not sure what year the 300 went with this layout but I believe all 2004 and newer will be set up this way. Someone else mentioned the older 300s placed the pump under the aft berth

Walk The Line

Reaction score
On the 2004 265 it's under the helm floor at the foot of the captain's chair. There is a deck plate there, but I found it difficult to manuver through that small hole, so I removed the 4 screws holding the rectangular piece of the floor cut the caulk and pulled it up ... much easier. You'll see the pump and the filter.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for the precise description Megabytes. I figured that you were talking about the piece behind the tackle boxes, but wanted to be sure.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome. I believe GW buys the entire unit OEM and installs it.
Here is another tip for offshore fisherman related to the tackle station.

Since I didn't need all the small, storage compartments, I removed the bottom 3 plastic boxes. This leaves almost exactly enough room to stand up a row of leader spools for bluewater rigs. Works great!

SlimJim

Reaction score
Walk The Line said:
On the 2004 265 it's under the helm floor at the foot of the captain's chair. There is a deck plate there, but I found it difficult to manuver through that small hole, so I removed the 4 screws holding the rectangular piece of the floor cut the caulk and pulled it up ... much easier. You'll see the pump and the filter.

Yep looked at my 2001 today and thats where mine was as well. You will have to take out the entire hole plate to reach it tho. Thanks WTL.

Enough Already

Reaction score
SlimJim said:
Walk The Line said:

Yep looked at my 2001 today and thats where mine was as well. You will have to take out the entire hole plate to reach it tho. Thanks WTL.

There might be an easier way on the 265. Go inside the cabin and remove the set of drawers to the starboard side of the entry. About 8 screws and the whole unit pops out. I went in that way to address a macerator pump issue, so wasn't really looking at the water pump but pretty sure it was sitting right there.

SlimJim

Reaction score
Enough Already said:
SlimJim said:
Walk The Line said:

There might be an easier way on the 265. Go inside the cabin and remove the set of drawers to the starboard side of the entry. About 8 screws and the whole unit pops out. I went in that way to address a macerator pump issue, so wasn't really looking at the water pump but pretty sure it was sitting right there.
wow great idea Thanks as I did not even think about that. :D

Conjuror

Reaction score
I echo the advice on talking the cabing drawers out on the 265 to get at the filter...much easier...it is right there to your lower left