The best place to mount a radar display

bondstreet

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used radar and am deciding where the best place to put the display. I have an 88 Overnighter and the dash is full of electronics. I think mounting it to the hard top is the best solution, but where is the best spot. If I mount it directly in front of the helm, it will be difficult for someone else to operate (ie, fog or moonless night). If I put it centerline, it may interfere with the compass. Thanks for your thoughts.

bc282

Reaction score
Q: did you already have a radar and are replacing it?
Q: how much do or will you use it? This is play a significant part in determining what role and importance it plays for you and where it needs to be.

Ideally, radar overlay on to chartplotter, next best would be radar very close or beside chartplotter.

Got any pics of existing layout?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If it will be straight above the helm on the hardtop, that is a decent spot, of course you would like it directly in front of you on the dash but if you are not using it every day there is no real need. My radar is in my hardtop electronics box above me and I have no problems navigating at night and looking up to check it and navigate using that and my gps. If you use it on a regular basis, 50% of your trips or more then I'd say maybe reconsider its location and move things around. I use my gps and FF a lot more so they get the prime spots on my boat.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My RADAR display was up on the hard top, soon to be next to the FF and GPS. It's only getting moved to make room for a life jacket bag attached to the hard top (and me banging my head on it sometimes). As long as the CRT is easily seen and not an obstruction (visual or physical) you should be OK.

bondstreet

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't have the units yet. They should be here on 4 May. I bought a Furuno 1650 chartplotter/fish finder and and a Furuno 1622 radar. Additionally, I have a Garmin 2010 (not color), Garmin 478, and a Lowrance lms-520 FF(not color) on the dashboard. I was thinking I could remove the Lowrance FF which is on top of the glove box, and move the 478 in its place. Th 478 is behind the compass. Thinking I should keep the 1650 close to the radar, maybe the chartplotter/FF should go directly over the helm and put the radar centerline. I want the radar for running at night. I put in and out of Solomons Island on the Ches. Bay and between the summer crowd and all the differrent lights, it should make the return from night fishing a little more comfortable. I usually have an additional watch posted next to me anyway to help me look for things I might miss or not recognize. The chartplotter makes finding the markers easy, but things that are not charted worry me. I got a good deal on the used equipment and I don;t know how many more years I'll keep this boat. (Wife thinks it is to small)

I'll post pictures next week.