The "Grady Bunch" tuna guys in the Pacific NW

HaleNalu

Reaction score
Hello all-

I posted a pic of my 1992 Grady 252G that I just sold in the picture section, and after a couple comments I thought I should post some info about us here.

Yes, I did sell my Grady- but I am buying another, a 2005 282, and am looking forward to getting the deck bloody this summer.

So... a little about us- A few years ago there were very few Gradys out in the Pacific NW. One here or there. When I bought mine in San Diego 7 years ago and brought it up, I didn't know anybody else with a Grady. As it stands now, several of my best friends own a Grady, and quite a few others that I know.

The core "Grady Bunch" consists of a 2003 GW 300- Tuna Time, a 2004 GW 300- Seelicious, a 2002 GW 282- Mermaiden, a 2005 GW 282- Sea-J (in acquisition currently), a 2005 GW 282 Pera Lynn, and a 2000 GW 248- 5 Salt. Random other Gradys attend the Oregon Tuna Classic that Tuna Time, Seelcious, and I started in 2005.

We have a GREAT time fishing together, whatever boat we are on. We all fish independently, but we also fish a lot on each others boats.

Seelicious has been featured in an episode of The Best and Worst of Tred Barta and also in Sportfishing Magazine. I have been fortunate to participate in these adventures as well.

If you want to check out a pretty cool video of Mermaiden, the 2002 GW 282 at Oregon Tuna Classic leg in Charleston, you can see it here- http://www.vimeo.com/channels/thejoyoffishing#5331150

This is Team G Loomis. I generally fish 2 out of the 4 legs of the OTC on this boat as part of Team G Loomis, and fish my own boat the other 2 legs. Last year I gave up my spot when this was filmed to be with my lovely, and VERY pregnant wife. Some good Grady footage.

So... to all of you out there, we are always glad to meet up with other members of the Grady Bunch! We fish a LOT, and have a great time here in Oregon.

10334_1220566238088_1346882173_625399_4796882_n.jpg

n1005815805_30152809_9521.jpg

n1005815805_30152810_388.jpg

n1005815805_30153585_7117.jpg

jellyfish

Reaction score
you have rods where I never knew you could put them. awesome! very nice looking boats as well. Good Times!

HaleNalu

Reaction score
richie rich said:
what cost more, the boat or all your fishing gear? Looks like a hell of a time!

Hehehe... Well, some might be taken aback on what we have invested in fishing gear. Fortunately for me, I am on Pro-Staff for G Loomis and Shimano, so I have a little benefit from that and I typically turn it over each year. Over time I have worked my arsenal up to the level that it is now. It is a little amazing what some of our crew has wrapped up in high end gear just to go catch fish though.

The fishing out here can be absolutely amazing, with fish boiling and jumping in huge areas. We can get into bait and jig stops with fish crashing around all sides of the boat. It is not an easy fishery to get into, especially with the variable ocean conditions of the North Pacific, but for our short tuna window from July through early October, we are hard after it.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just a few weeks ago I saw the Tred Barta episode that you were in. I always enjoy the saltwater fishing shows that use boats and equipment similiar to what I'm used to using. There really seemed to be a strong brotherhood among the fishermen. They must be your Grady Bunch. Thanks for sharing these great pictures.

sickday

Reaction score
Awsome! Great video too, nice to see the Marlin in the show,,,,I'm am pumped for my first Tuna runa, Thanks for posting,,,,,

jellyfish

Reaction score
megabytes said:
I feel for folks in the NW. Aren't those some of the nastiest inlets in the US? What kind of tuna? Longfins?
Yes they are, but some of the best Salmon and Albacore fishing, they are big and full of fight in the NW.

HaleNalu

Reaction score
megabytes said:
I feel for folks in the NW. Aren't those some of the nastiest inlets in the US? What kind of tuna? Longfins?

Oregon and Washington are the only states and ports in the US (as I understand it) that the USCG sets bar restriction for entry and exit. Pretty much all ports are based in the estuaries of rivers, so large tidal swings and outflow of the bays combined with ocean swell can create pretty nasty bar crossings. I grew up here, so for us it is just part of the deal. On rough days, sometimes you just have to call the trip.

My home port is Depoe Bay, Oregon. It is not affected by tides as it is a natural rock harbor with basically no outflow since it is a total of only 6 acres. There is a narrow twisting entrance between the basalt rock clefts, and it is only wide enough for 1 boat at a time. Those of us that "shoot the hole" on a regular basis absolutely love our little port, and feel very safe. Those unfamiliar with it are often quite intimidated and a little terrified. It is ALWAYS interesting, but days with bigger swell add some fun, and if there is thick fog and have to come in on instruments it is REALLY fun. Here is an aerial shot on a decent day.

800px-USACE_Depoe_Bay_Oregon.jpg

Here is a shot on a day that the bar is closed.... Once out the "hole" you have about another 1/2 mile until you get past the whistle buoy and into clean open water.

Depoe-Hole2.jpg

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I love Depoe Bay - the entrance keeps a lot of wankers away and its closest to the tuna most years. Good people and skilled anglers with excellent USCG station working to keep everyone safe.

Pic below is a single handed tuna day with a Salmon limit to cap off a fine July outing. My first ever tuna trip and first major offshore outing with new grady. We also enjoy some good hailbut fishing in spring.

Depoetuna2.jpg

P1010574m-1.jpg

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
This is interesting..
At what point does the Coast Guard implement the restriction? How do they notify the boaters? VHF announcement? Is it just when the onshore swell reaches a certain height, or is there wind and wind/wave restrictions too?

Great shots!

jellyfish

Reaction score
been there and seen it. Also seen many a video tape on boats going in one at a time. You don't have much room and no room for a mistake. I think a few years ago, a exp captain lost it there and died.

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
magicalbill said:
This is interesting..
At what point does the Coast Guard implement the restriction? How do they notify the boaters? VHF announcement? Is it just when the onshore swell reaches a certain height, or is there wind and wind/wave restrictions too?

Great shots!

USCG restricts recreational and commercial differently with more conservative restrictions on recreational craft.

Swell direction and size along for forecasted seas and winds are the determining factors with recreational restrictions beginning at 3ft for small rowing and paddle craft, 4-6ft swell for craft under 19-20ft in length. 6-8ft will restrict craft under 26ft in most cases. USCG report is available on local AM radio broadcast, recorded telephone report, or hailing the USCG Station to request a report. This is case for all bars and harbors along the Oregon coast.

A west to southern west swell causes most problems with re-entry as it allows the swell to roll into the mouth to area where one needs to turn left while coming off the power to slow entry speed. These swells will cause craft to surf toward rocks on starboard if entrance is timed poorly. Big minus low tides narrow the entrance significantly to where it feels about 16ft wide. Most days, craft affected by bar closings do not want to be on the ocean as condition make for a pretty uncomfortable voyage or fishing trip.

Near shore surf forecast for tomorrow is 22ft @ 15seconds....my guess it the entrance to be closed to all craft...

Video of 40ft Charter entering on a slightly sporty summer day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWBlc-eR ... re=related

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
5 Salt Fever..
Thanks for posting the clip and the info! I appreciate it!
I assume summer is the best time to string together doable days on the ocean?

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
magicalbill said:
5 Salt Fever..
Thanks for posting the clip and the info! I appreciate it!
I assume summer is the best time to string together doable days on the ocean?

Typically, winter offers a few days here and there for bottom fishing and crabbing, although this winter has been far too rough so far. Forecast for this week is 8-18ft seas and 15-40mph winds…that has pretty much been the story for past 70-80days. Usually we get 6-7day storms with 2-3day windows in between where 1-2days are laid down enough for a little Lingcod and Sea bass fishing.

About March the ocean begins to string together 1-2-3 days per week where the bar is open to craft 20ft and larger. May is Halibut season and the time when the ocean begins settling down. June - Mid October, but for 1-2 days of high winds here and there, you can get out without issue every day of the week.
By end of October Tuna have moved too far offshore to be reached by most recreational boats and with Salmon fishing in the rivers/inlets/bays in full swing, most do not even notice the rapidly declining access to the ocean.
As the Fall progresses, we crab in the bays (year round), salmon fish up until Thanksgiving in the rivers and take a couple of weeks off before Steelhead season takes off Dec-March. Mix in waterfowl hunting Dec-Jan, Sturgeon fishing winter and late spring as well as trout fishing and there really is only about 2-3weeks of the year where one actually has to stay home for chores, to Christmas shop, or fly to Cabo for a Marlin fix. For those who cannot get out on the ocean March, April and May we have spring Chinook Salmon in the rivers....the most amazing tasting salmon one could ever hope to enjoy.

Life is pretty sweet on the Left Coast.....

Barbender

Reaction score
Hey 5 Salt I am just a little north of you on the Island. Your absolutely right about the fishing out here. I have not fished Tuna yet but might maybe this year out of Tofino if I get the nerve up. The Chinook fishing has been pretty good the last few years and hoping for a banner year this year. Regards.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
5 Salt..
Interesting stuff. It's neat to hear some hands-on boater talk about the West Coast..It's, as you know, a whole different world than Florida or the Great Lakes.
have a great season!

Pete1313

Reaction score
Damn lucky yoy grt to crab all year round....we usually only get July through September in the San Juans......

But....spot prawns start up in May-- which are the sweetest shellfish I've ever had-- sweeter than the best Maine Lobstah....