The new 2004 Grady 208 Adventure

bdubz06

Reaction score
Sorry guys it too me so long to post these. Been enjoying the boat for almost a month now and loving it. The boat was barely used (36 hours) and in practically brand new condition; 2004 208 with a F225 Yamaha. 2004 EZ Loader trailer never been launched in Salt water (boat too)!

Delivery day!
005az3.jpg

015rb0.jpg

img2799zp4.jpg

img2566ey0.jpg

img2511zj2.jpg

img2825ti7.jpg

dscn1142yy5.jpg

Michigan Brian

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Looks great and congrats from a fellow 208 owner!

one thing though. I am not crazy about the trailer transom tiedowns. Looks like the trailer is too short.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i 2nd the notion on those transom tiedowns....you might consider going with a gunwale tiedown instead.

Great looking rig....

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Whoohoo!!

BTW, what lakes are you launching at? One of the top pics looks like eastern washington.

We lived up there 'till '92. Lots of boating in the San Juans.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What a boat!

No 20 footer cabin boat with more to offer than the Grady anywhere to be found. Highest resale around too.

Glad I had one.

Have fun !

GWcpa

Reaction score
Nice 208. I had one too. Like the pulpit with rail. Makes handling the anchor much easier on the back.

That boat will do it all and is affordable to run.

bdubz06

Reaction score
Thanks, Guys! I live on the East side of the Sound; just north of Everett. The first weekend we had the boat we took it to Chelan over in Eastern Washington. We also take the boat to Lake Stevens which isn't too far away.

We just got back today from Crabbing off Saddlebad Island near Anacortes! Great crabbing up there.

About the ties downs, is the angle the problem? The back trailer bunks extend out just to the end of the transom. Not a good idea to have the boat tied down that way?

Thanks for all your input and this forum is great!

Take care.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
bdubz06 said:
Thanks, Guys! I live on the East side of the Sound; just north of Everett. The first weekend we had the boat we took it to Chelan over in Eastern Washington. We also take the boat to Lake Stevens which isn't too far away.

We just got back today from Crabbing off Saddlebad Island near Anacortes! Great crabbing up there.

About the ties downs, is the angle the problem? The back trailer bunks extend out just to the end of the transom. Not a good idea to have the boat tied down that way?

Thanks for all your input and this forum is great!

Take care.

It's the best forum on the net for boating. Tons of help here, lots of experience and knowledge.

Oh my, you have the best cruising grounds in the world.

We spent many a weekend out at Saddlebag, anchored out and fishing for dungeness. The skagit river delta is absolutely huge, been dumping sand for a million years and the crabs love it. We'd catch 'em and cook 'em right on board, fresh bread and a bottle of wine and things don't get much better than that. I had a 40' alden yawl that we'd sit out there on, go check the pots with a zodiac and a outboard.

Chelan is a fantastic lake, there are many good ones up there, Roosevelt is another, and of course there's always Lake Washington. We raced 8' home-made hydroplanes up the Sammamish slough by Kenmore when I was a kid. And I got kicked out of the city of Chelan when I was 18 for riding my dirtbike in the city park. I was there in my van visiting my girlfriend and their family. When I pulled the bike out of the van to set it up to sleep in, I don't know how I got the notion I should pull wheelies in the park. The mayor called the park manager and told him to throw me out of town :shock: Why did my girlfriends parents let her go home with me the next day in my van? What, were they nuts???? I guess the 70's were a crazy time, weren't they?

When I was a kid Dad had a Bryant 22' with twin merc 75's, and we got all the way up lake chelan and were docked up at a resort and had a helluva windstorm and rough water. We were afraid the side of the boat was going to cave in.

Anyway, I digress.....

I don't see a problem with the tie-downs unless you get chaffing on the hull sides. I hate the over-the gunnel, it wears on the deck and gets it dirty. But they are secure.

Tie-downs are also supposed to keep a boat from sliding forward if it's in a collision. I have seen them go right over the winch post and into the tow vehicle. If you can get a secure spot under the back of the trailer bunks you would probably have a better angle. My boat doesn't move much on the trailer, but I'm not sure what things would be like if you had to make some evasive manuevers on the hiway or something. They will slide around if enough force is put on it or it gets sideways or something.

Tell us some more about the NW boating....where's the spot with the dock and the big rock shorline with a camp ground? The trees are what we miss up there....

BTW, my younger sister still lives up there, her and her husband recently bought a 39' carver they moor in Everett. I would love to trailer my boat up to Vancouver Island for a vacation, but with gas costs now it's not in the cards.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just noticed it doesn't look like you have a tie-down in the front, and the rears look like motorcycle tie-down straps. If so they are not heavy enough, and you need one for the front in case the winch lets go or something. It will also keep the boat from riding up the front post notch if it has to stop suddenly.

I pulled the best pic I have of tie-downs, notice I have one in the bow the goes down to the base of the winch post. And the rears connect to an eye-bolt on the end of the bunks, straight down the back of the transom. But they are 4x8 bunks so there's lots of meat to bolt into. Some bunks are 2x6's and probably not strong enough to bold into. Connect to a bracket or part of the frame if possible.

Here's a pic of the rears:

Chris208.jpg

And the bow strap:

DSC00216.jpg

In tow...

CJs_Grady_208.jpg

Michigan Brian

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
my trailer was custom made for my boat so it has a good tie down system and the trailer frame ends at the transom.

here is the bow

http://usera.imagecave.com/system/showp ... zed.JPG&a=

transom

http://usera.imagecave.com/system/showp ... zed.JPG&a=

As long as your tiedowns are secure and strong enough and dont chafe the hull, Im sure you are ok. I do agree you need a tie down in the front, I am also going to add a safety chain to mine just incase the winch lets go as I am launching/loading that will attach right underneath the winch.

It just appears to me that the trailer is too short for the boat. Im sure its fine though as long as its supported properly.

Harleyfxdl

Reaction score
I saw this boat for sale on Boats.com and when I called they said it was just sold to a guy on the west coast, I guess this is the boat? Good deal, 36 hrs can't be beat.

bdubz06

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys! I am going to look at changing the way I tie it down. I don't really like the idea of a gunwale tiedown system, but I may look at going that route especially for long trips.

Brad1

Reaction score
bdubzo6,

I have an '03 Grady 226 on an EZ Loader bunk trailer. My tie downs attach the same way that yours do. Prior to my Grady, I had a '94 22ft Proline on an EZ Loader trailer and the tie downs attached the same way as well. Never had the even the slightest problem. I just take care to make sure that nylon doesn't chafe the gel coat. They make rubber pads specifically for that purpose. You can buy them at Boaters World. Or, you can simply secure a soft cotton terricloth towel around the tie down to protect the gel coat (which, by the way looks to be what your already doing). Either way works just fine.

Good luck with your new boat. She's a beauty !

Brad