The "Sea-J" 1992 Grady White 252G

HaleNalu

Reaction score
This is the "Sea-J" that I just sold. Repowered with 2006 Yamaha 200 HPDI's.

She was a great boat, and the new owner should really enjoy her. Updated and exchanged everything such as new SS scuppers, deck drains, etc. 12" Chartplotter, Airmar B260, backup chartplotter, 25 rod holders, and just replaced combing. I loved working on this boat!

Parting with her was really tough.... but the 2005 282 will ease the pain. :D

Sea-J%20at%20sunset.jpg

And here she is coming into my home port of Depoe Bay, OR. Grady actually published this picture in the Anchorline Newsletter.

Sea-J-inbound.jpg

richie rich

Reaction score
She looks great....plenty of rod holders for sure......the inlet to your harbor looks to be quite an adventure at night or in a fog :) Looks like really nice coastline. So wheres the new 282 pics?

HaleNalu

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words.

The Port of Depoe Bay, OR is a wonderful harbor. It is known as "The Worlds Smallest natural harbor" at just over six acres. The entrance is a narrow natural cleft between solid rock walls where you enter, then make a sharp turn to port and then a turn to starboard. Very intimidating, especially on bigger swell days for those that are not familiar with it. It's called "shooting the hole" and the Coast Guard crew is known as the "Hole in the Wall Gang". Once you are comfortable, it is a wonderful, and very safe place to enter and exit. The entrance is about 40 feet wide, with about 20-25 feet of that being of usable depth. The picture on my post above is at high tide, and not really indicative of how narrow it is. It is narrow enough that only one boat goes in or out at a time, and we have a VHF channel that we use to announce departures and returns.

800px-USACE_Depoe_Bay_Oregon.jpg

As for pictures of the other boat... Once I have her with her name on the side and my other things done I will post them up. At this time she is still in Michigan, and hopefully will be out here in Oregon soon.

richie rich

Reaction score
Wow, that aerial view says it all....shooting the hole is an understatement...but nice protection from the sea storms inside. We have a similar "hole" to shoot through in Niantic CT, but we have a ton of traffic including commercial boats shooting that gap and no one seems to give anyone the right of way some days...makes for a few choice words between skippers sometimes.. :wink:

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That must give a whole new meaning to pick your days...I wouldn't want to have to navigate that small opening on a rough day! Nice looking boat, looks like its set up for some serious offshore fishing. can't wait to see the new ride.

HaleNalu

Reaction score
Thanks! She has been a GREAT boat.

We routinely fish 50 miles offshore for albacore tuna. We troll, cast, jig, and live bait fish depending on the time of year, and what the tuna are doing. Lots of rod holders since we have different gear for each style.

There are a number of us out here in Oregon that have Grady's, and we call ourselves the Grady Bunch since we're like a big family. Nothing out here even compares in my opinion.

Here's a decent day of fishing for tuna in Oregon.....

IMG_0370.JPG

And here's a great day- 2.5 hours worth of catching....

P1010165.JPG

Renovator

Reaction score
Man, what a pile of tuna! where did ya put 'em? We are starting to get the blackfin around our coast right now but not in those numbers for sure. The bonita are mixed in with them pretty thick and they are not good for eating IMHO but are good for strip baits. . Nice box of fish no doubt.
Ron

richie rich

Reaction score
NO FREAKIN' WAY............I can't belive that....thats gotta be the work of PhotoShop or something...did you see Jesus out there and he told to where to drop the net?

HaleNalu

Reaction score
One of the things I like about the pre-1994 Sailfish is the transom fish box. That adds a decent little bit of capacity to the boat.

I generally limit the boat to 40 fish on a fast and furious day. The picture above is 44 fish. That is the maximum that a 1992 GW 252G can hold in the starboard fish box, the port bait tank, the transom fish box, and one 48" Reliable kill bag- ICED. The boat would hold more if the fish were not iced, but we take about 250 lbs of ice on every trip. Fish are bled, salt water ice slurry, then packed. We try to go with 10lbs of ice per fish, but on fast and furious days when we know we'll get back to the dock quick we can do 6 lbs of ice per fish and then cool them in the totes back in port. In that manner they are always in a state of cooling until processed.

We primarily have albacore off our waters. I have caught 4 Bluefin mixed in over the last several years, but they are all of the peanut (18 lb or less) variety. We occasionally get some Dorado or Yellowtail. I have never caught those, but friends have on rare occasions. We did get into a school of Pomfret last year which was a first. We know there are some Bigeye, but haven't been able to convert on the rare opportunities.

I run a charter called Nalu Charters- and only take small groups, and only a small number of trips per year. I don't want to try and take up space here- but there are a ton of pics on my website if you want to see Oregon fishing0 halibut, tuna, salmon, etc.

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Yeah!

HaleNalu! Hello from NW FL! I just thought our Bob Sikes Cut at St. George Island was narrow. Your pass is wild! It is a true pleasure to see someone put a "real mess of fish" on their Grady. Outstanding and very impressive! I bet a lot of folks would like to fish with you! 8)

HaleNalu

Reaction score
JUMPNJACK- Hello back!

The Oregon "Grady Bunch" has put a LOT of fish on the decks out here. We spend a good bunch of time We started a charity tuna tournament called the Oregon Tuna Classic, and we have a great time.

Here's a pic of 3 of our Grady's after the Garibaldi leg this year. My old boat is on the right, "Seelicious" is a 2004 Marlin 300 in the middle, and "Mermaiden" is a 2002 Sailfish 282. In addition to this Big Tuna where we are tied also has another 2005 Sailfish 282 "Pera Lynn" and in the main harbor is the King of the Hill, a 2004 Marlin 300 named "Tuna Time".

10334_1220566238088_1346882173_625399_4796882_n.jpg

We love having people come out and fish with us! A few years ago just after we started the tourney we were fortunate enough to have Sportfishing Mag write up an article. All the pictures are on Seelicious, the Marlin 300.

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/species/species/oregons-amazing-albacore-1000062702.html

And if you want to see some great Grady action, and happen to watch the Versus channel - TIVO the Best and Worst of Tred Barta. He came out to fish with us and shoot an episode in 2008. He had a great time and we shot some great footage- again, all aboard Seelicious.

Barbender

Reaction score
I am a avid sportfisherman but why do you need to kill so many fish? 44 fish seems like overkill to me. Are the fish brought to a processor for commercial sale or do your clients eat all the fish?

HaleNalu

Reaction score
Barbender- You raise a very valid question, and one that we as a group do our best to educate other about fishing practices and personal take.

The albacore tuna that we take are processed in a variety of ways, the most common being- fresh to eat, smoked, and canned. The majority of canning is done at home by anglers, and most anglers try to put up enough canned tuna to see them through the winter, as well as provide some for their non-fishing friends and relatives.

My personal family usage of average size tuna between fresh for dinners during the summer, vacuum packed for the freezer, smoked, and canned is in the neighborhood of 30 fish for my family. Canning is done at home, and nobody that eats home canned albacore will ever want to buy a can of tuna from the store again- it's that much better. I try to stockpile at least 10-15 cases of pint jars of tuna for the winter.

In this instance of the 2nd photo the 44 fish were split between 4 customers and myself the skipper, for a total of 10 per person, and 4 for me. As noted above, the fish were all bled and properly iced down on the water, and continued to be iced once we reached port. On a charter trip, this is typically the only tuna opportunity that customers will get all year.

In the FIRST picture I showed, this was actually part of the Oregon Tuna Classic tournament our group started. Of the fish caught, the 5 largest are donated to our charity, where they are in turn processed and provided to the local food banks to be distributed to the needy. The rest were split between 4 people, with the bulk going to the 2 people on the boat that were only able to tuna fish once that year.

Over the last 5 years we have generated over $100,000 and 30,000 lbs of tuna to be distributed to the Oregon Food Bank Network.

The picture with the 3 Gradys is from the final leg of the Oregon Tuna Classic this year. Fishing was slow for me (though I did manage a 4th place), and of the 9 fish we caught that day, the biggest 5 were turned over. Of course on that day, there was on 4 fish to be split between the two guys on the boat that only went tuna fishing once that year.

For myself, I am able to produce a lot of fish on multiple trips because I have customers that will only be going once. Prior to the start of the trip we discuss what the groups needs are, and how many fish we will retain based on what their usage of the fish will be. Most customers request that if fishing is good, they would like to take around 5 fish. For those that wish for more, I accomodate, but only to the point where we can properly care for the fish with ice, etc. On the 44 fish trip, we only fished for 2 1/2 hours, then stopped fishing and ran back in. We left the dock at 6:00am and were back at the dock at 11:00am.

For others that are not charters, but fish a LOT, they have gone the route of licensing and permitting to commercial fish. In this way, they are allowed to fish using sport gear, but the entire catch must be sold when back to port.

Sorry for the long reply, but it is an important point and question you posed. Those of us that fish regularly for tuna always want to make sure nobody thinks we are just killing fish to kill fish.

Reactions: PT G

Barbender

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me. Glad there is someone out there who also bleeds and ices their fish right away. I can't tell you how many times I see people up here with a big king that has been sitting in a cooler with no ice all day and is warm and mushy. A horrible way to treat a great fish. Glad to know that fish is being consumed and treated properly. Regards.