The shoe dropped (my fault)

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Went out to pull my crab pots, easy launch out of Moss Landing, kind of a rough ride out. I don't know if it was here or coastside where someone said "when I let other people drive my boat, we get beat up more". I'm starting to be able to predict when the boat will bang, not always, I get maybe half right. I'm on and off the throttle constantly when it is crappy like it was.

We got 11 keeper crabs out of my 4 ez pull pots. I had soaked 2 of my buddy's round (Promar I think) pots, we got nothing from them. I like the EZ pull pots.

The shoe? Yeah, all me, I put the truck key down on the dock to adjust the boat. This morning I could feel I was not awake, I was running through mental check lists over and over but my lists don't include "pick up the truck key from the dock you dofus".

When we were heading in, way faster, we had a following sea coming back, 26-28mph was fine, going out, 18-20mph was as good as we could do, I started thinking about the truck key. My normal routine, because I tie long yellow strings to keys so I can see them if I drop them, is to tie the key to the microphone cord of my radio. Look. No key. Oh, shit, I left it on the dock. Now I'm wondering what if someone found it and took off with my truck and trailer, what do I do then, where can I buy a trailer fast?

We get back, truck is there, no key. Ask around, nobody has it. Called my wife to bring the spare, an hour later, the spare doesn't work. Off to the Chevy dealer to make a couple of new keys. Back to the dock, there is a Boston Whaler, a big one, at least 24 feet, and they say "Did you lose a GM key?" Yep, I sure did, they had hung it way up high on a sign.

So I'm home, the shoe that dropped had nothing to do with the boat, it had everything to do with I'm an idiot. It ended well, I'm going to eat crab. Here is hoping your trips have less drama.

Last edited:

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lol....that’s my kind of story. I was waiting to hear that you left your truck and trailer on the ramp!

BTW, Are you able to boat year round where you live?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Took one more look at my truck from about 50' away to make sure it was locked and that I had closed the rear slider before we shoved off. All good.
Coming back in from a long day on the water I noticed it seemed to be a little easier to look through the rear passenger window of my truck. Nah, must be the light. Got back to the truck to find my son decided to put one of the rear windows down just before we launched. I didn't even notice. Window was down all day in an area where people walk and drive by all day. Thankfully nothing was touched and no lucky "squirts" from the seagulls!

Reactions: luckydude

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Lol....that’s my kind of story. I was waiting to hear that you left your truck and trailer on the ramp!

BTW, Are you able to boat year round where you live?

We can boat but much of the fishing is shut down from Jan 1 to Apr 1. Crab is open, halibut is open, sole is open. So I will fish but not as often.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Wow, at least you have it. I bet you won't forget it again. Shite happens, let it go an move on!

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Wow, at least you have it. I bet you won't forget it again. Shite happens, let it go an move on!

Yeah, I won't make that mistake again, "where is the truck key" is now on the mental check list.

On a different note, I now understand why my fishing buddy doesn't have a written check list. It's just too much to write down, I started with written lists and quickly stopped updating them. You just memorize all that stuff and then, like I just did, get a kick in the pants because here is one more thing ;-)

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yeah, I won't make that mistake again, "where is the truck key" is now on the mental check list.

On a different note, I now understand why my fishing buddy doesn't have a written check list. It's just too much to write down, I started with written lists and quickly stopped updating them. You just memorize all that stuff and then, like I just did, get a kick in the pants because here is one more thing ;-)
While it isn't always 100% perfect, we have good luck compartmentalizing gear. If we are fishing, the fishing gear is in one part of the barn, while a play/cruise day is stored elsewhere. I also have a routine when launching or retrieving. When I board the boat I always empty my pockets into the same area to make sure I didn't forget keys, wallet, phone, etc. Same thing getting back into the truck. Your results may vary! :)

Fishtales

Reaction score
One thing I do is everything in my boat bag. This is a fully zippered columbia dry bag (over shoulder or carry), I bring to the boat every time I use it.
What is in there:
- boat keys, boat keys spare set, my cell goes in, wallet goes in, extra pair of sunglasses, sun lotion, car keys go in, can/bottle opener, edc knife goes in, firearm/spare mags if I have it goes in
- other items that come up for specific trips. maybe long shirt or sweatshirt and basically anything in my pockets.

I just got in the habit and it is second nature. Bag is down in the cockpit and sits next do head when underway. Have not lost anything yet.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
One thing I do is everything in my boat bag.

I was going to ask you privately but this seems like something that other people might want to know, what's the bag you use, how big is it?
I like your routine, I like that you can carry or shoulder strap, I'm always going out with bags that I have to carry, so shoulder strap is nice.
I'll add your routine to mine, one more step towards making the boat safe.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hopefully they come thru. I keep it in my trunk - ready to go. They guys at work would book time in the GW conference room and we would bug out for some fishing....
Not sure if Columbia make this any more, but you can use just about any bag...

Buckee

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
The boat pack is a lifesaver, just don’t let it get too big. It also goes with me anytime we get off the boat, for anything- restaurant, gas dock, exploring an island. Easy habit to develop and you’ll always have your important stuff at hand.

Reactions: Fishtales

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
The boat pack is a lifesaver, just don’t let it get too big. It also goes with me anytime we get off the boat, for anything- restaurant, gas dock, exploring an island. Easy habit to develop and you’ll always have your important stuff at hand.

I've been looking around. For me, it seems like smaller is better, I'm always hauling a bunch of stuff to the boat, a pack that I can sling over my shoulder is key. When I could still fly fish this was my jam: http://mcvoy.com/lm/pat-sling.jpg

I'm thinking about something like that. Isn't water proof but I'm in the boat, seems fine.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Buckee is spot on. This is actually smaller than the last bag. I still have some basic tools, snap kit and some other small odds and ends in there. I like the idea of a small over shoulder or fanny pack that I can take stuff off if I go off the boat. Doesn't happen all that much, we're usually on the boat for the day when we go to the bank or outer cape fishing.