The tail of "2" corroded motors

dale1

Reaction score
2002 265 express with F-225s. 600 hours. Everything is original. I pulled the lower units “feet” to change the water pumps. I was curious about the corrosion issues on the motors based on reading here. I did not suspect any issues with mine because of the diligent flushing and service.

Low and behold, they were corroded. What’s funny is how much more one motor was corroded over the other. Same boat, same year, same servicing and flushing. One was twice as corroded as the other. My power heads were not affected. Only the muffler assembly was corroded.
I called Yamaha. They were very helpful and understanding. They recognize that there is a problem. He could not say what he wanted to because there are legal issues. That makes me sad. Anyway, they sell a complete kit now for around $775.00 per motor. I ordered 2, and some other stuff that needed to be done while I was in there. “All fuel filters, water pumps, foot oil, sparkplugs, etc. I also bought a Yamaha repair manual.

I spent about 3 weeks on the project. After work, weekends, and a couple of vacation days. It took me about 60 man hours. I was going very slow, and being diligent. But, I didn’t break anything. I assembled it dry the first time as a test run. I went step by step, and bagged and labeled each part with the bolts attached. It’s not that complicated of a repair. It’s just nerve racking because of the cost of the pieces and unfamiliarity. I could probably do both motors in 30 hours now. “By myself”

I’m glad that it’s done. The motors are quieter now. Run great, and have a strong pee stream. About 1800 or 1900 spent. I'm not making light of this, but it cost more to have a steering rack changed on my wifes car. Just make sure you check yours before the powerheads are affected.

dale

Attachments

• image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,360
  • image (7).jpeg
    image (7).jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 2,360
  • image (20).jpeg
    image (20).jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 2,360
  • image (21).jpeg
    image (21).jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 2,360
  • image (28).jpeg
    image (28).jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,360
  • image (27).jpeg
    image (27).jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 2,360

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good work and you really saved a lot of $$ doing this yourself. Not sure I would want to try and tackle it,even though I have done a lot so far, more that I thought I would. This fall, will tackle replacement of VST filters, low pressure fuel pumps, etc since I just went over 500 hours.
Fortunately, dont' have the 4 strokes so will not have this corrosion issue, but if I traded up, this is good knowledge to know about the kit. Guess it would be the labor that would be the killer here.

billyttpd

Reaction score
and you see so many rigs with 2002-2004 Yamaha 225's for sale. If I looked at a boat powered like that in that era I guess you have to assume that it has this problem. Unless the seller shows you a receipt that it was fixed.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Last I saw on this was any of the F225/F250's up through 2006 model year are affected. Somewhere in 2006 late I think it got fixed, but not sure how to tell. 2007 and later should be ok. Heard some F200's can have the issue as well.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
dale, did you replace the oil pumps too? wow 60hrs. to complete the job. Did everything come apart ok? The kits make the repair a little more palatable. I replaced the exhausts on both of my engines. The first was done three years ago, at that time Yamaha and their dealers were still in denial. I was told it was a warm water problem and my engines were an isolated incident. I paid 2500 in parts alone for the first engine. I repaired the other engine last year. At that time the kit was available. The corrosion problem was so wide spread, that my mechanic had a month long back log just for corrosion fixes. My mechanic now stocks enough parts to do 3-4 engines at any given time. Anybody looking at boats with theses engines should factor in the repair as part of the deal if not already done. With the newer engines 2006+ time will tell.

dale1

Reaction score
drbatts said:
dale, did you replace the oil pumps too? wow 60hrs. to complete the job. Did everything come apart ok? The kits make the repair a little more palatable. I replaced the exhausts on both of my engines. The first was done three years ago, at that time Yamaha and their dealers were still in denial. I was told it was a warm water problem and my engines were an isolated incident. I paid 2500 in parts alone for the first engine. I repaired the other engine last year. At that time the kit was available. The corrosion problem was so wide spread, that my mechanic had a month long back log just for corrosion fixes. My mechanic now stocks enough parts to do 3-4 engines at any given time. Anybody looking at boats with theses engines should factor in the repair as part of the deal if not already done. With the newer engines 2006+ time will tell.

Drbratts. I did not replace the oil pumps. A certified Yamaha tech, "friend," did not recommend it based the hours on my motors. I stand corrected on that. they have 600 hours:)

Yes, everything came apart with out any problems. I was really surprised about that.

I used the boat this weekend. I the overall performance of the Yamahas. especially now. they run great. nothing to do with the mufflers. probably just the tune up.