The Walk Around Cuddy R.I.P.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I love my 228 and I would love to be able to buy a NEW Sailfish or Marlin.
I recently got taken out in a 27 foot Grady. I absolutely adore my 228 and never thought I'd want to upgrade. I want to upgrade. Bigger is better, if I can get a slip in Santa Cruz, Marlin it is. The ride is so much better, my ocean sucks, having a big boat that doesn't care would be awesome.

That said, when I think about upgrading, I'm working the numbers, is there a way where I could keep the 228 and trailer it to spots? The 228 is a pick your days boat. The Marlin is more like I don't care what the ocean is doing, I'm fine. Be a sweet combo.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I recently got taken out in a 27 foot Grady. I absolutely adore my 228 and never thought I'd want to upgrade. I want to upgrade. Bigger is better, if I can get a slip in Santa Cruz, Marlin it is. The ride is so much better, my ocean sucks, having a big boat that doesn't care would be awesome.

That said, when I think about upgrading, I'm working the numbers, is there a way where I could keep the 228 and trailer it to spots? The 228 is a pick your days boat. The Marlin is more like I don't care what the ocean is doing, I'm fine. Be a sweet combo.
It's an equation of scale, I used to go out of Pillar Point Marina in Half Moon Bay in a 16.5' Arima with a single 50hp Mercury. I remember coming back into shore one day 34 years ago and an old timer told me I had a lot of guts to be out alone in the seas that day. I was just young and ignorant.
Marlin is a major upgrade, and then our fellow member HMB Jack has a 330 out of Half Moon Bay, he might say that his larger footprint is the way to go.
If money isn't an obstacle why not buy the most comfortable boat you can afford?
I get it the West Coast and the Continental Shelf make rough waters.
Good thing is you have options to upsize.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I do enjoy the walkaround but honestly would prefer an express for the fishing we do. The walkaround allows too much water to flow into the cockpit when fishing rough water though that is probably not an issue for most everyone else on this forum.

Agree with the comments regarding following the market and the longevity of the hulls working against demand. I hope the walkaround molds are being kept and just put on the side until the demand increases.

The DC fad can’t last forever....can it???

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Guess it's about where you boat. I can't IMAGINE owning a walkthrough windshield \ bowrider model where I live. No way, no how. However, I have always thought of the GW as a "Florida / warm weather" boat, as they are canvas enclosed all the way up to the larger models. Boats made here usually have a wheel house or cabin with a back door. Think SeaSport...

Reactions: PointedRose

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I do enjoy the walkaround but honestly would prefer an express for the fishing we do. The walkaround allows too much water to flow into the cockpit when fishing rough water though that is probably not an issue for most everyone else on this forum.

Agree with the comments regarding following the market and the longevity of the hulls working against demand. I hope the walkaround molds are being kept and just put on the side until the demand increases.

The DC fad can’t last forever....can it???
I imagine once supply chain and labor issues are sorted a bit they will revisit the whole lineup. I feel like it’s just a quicker build for CC/DC so they can push orders through to dealers in this high demand market period, which won’t last forever.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I hope you're right, PointedRose, the 228 really is a great boat if you want to trailer it all over the place. And while it is true, I have some desire for a bigger boat with a nicer ride, the 228 is great if you pick your days and it will get you home if you picked wrong.

I looked at a 232 that was going out for the first time. It's a much bigger boat, it's wider, special permit required to trailer it, it wouldn't come down my road, so I'd be "stuck" with the 208 being the only choice for me, with all due respect, I think that boat is a little small.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I imagine once supply chain and labor issues are sorted a bit they will revisit the whole lineup. I feel like it’s just a quicker build for CC/DC so they can push orders through to dealers in this high demand market period, which won’t last forever.

Agree completely. I understand the sentiment of most on this forum but we must remember that we are still in the minority of current/prospective Grady owners and Grady still has to sell enough boats to make ends meet. Hopefully they’ll sort things out and revise/update something like the 265 Express.

I hope you're right, PointedRose, the 228 really is a great boat if you want to trailer it all over the place. And while it is true, I have some desire for a bigger boat with a nicer ride, the 228 is great if you pick your days and it will get you home if you picked wrong.

I looked at a 232 that was going out for the first time. It's a much bigger boat, it's wider, special permit required to trailer it, it wouldn't come down my road, so I'd be "stuck" with the 208 being the only choice for me, with all due respect, I think that boat is a little small.

The 208 could use an enclosed transom for sure but as far as seaworthiness I think any of the WAs can handle rougher water than most can throw at them.

The 228 rides significantly different from the 208 but when it comes down to it both are small boats. Things definitely change when you get to the Marlin/Express size and I understand your interest in the larger hulls though your want for a bigger boat may decrease as you put in more hours with your 228 and you get to know the hull better. That said, hope the numbers work out and you’re able to find a bigger hull with a slip.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The 282 Sailfish would be my choice for a comeback boat. Still somewhat trailerable and big enough to handle rough water better than my 228. The 228 is a very capable boat and super easy to trailer anywhere I'd like to go, but the 282 is my 6' itis boat.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
The 282 Sailfish would be my choice for a comeback boat. Still somewhat trailerable and big enough to handle rough water better than my 228. The 228 is a very capable boat and super easy to trailer anywhere I'd like to go, but the 282 is my 6' itis boat.
I've never been in anything other than my 228 and 271 center console. Everyone raves about the sailfish.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm dreaming, but bear with me. Living in the information age, and knowing there is limited demand out there for certain models, it would be amazing if Grady would produce specific extinct models for one year. Rather than continuous annual production runs, bring back the 228 for one year, the 258 the following, and the 282 after that etc.
Collecting data from boat shows, web searches, customer service/dealer inquiries, used model demand, used selling prices, etc would give them a good idea as to when and how many to build for a limited run.
Yeah, I know there would be challenges with production and material updates, but I'm confident they would still turn a healthy profit.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm dreaming, but bear with me. Living in the information age, and knowing there is limited demand out there for certain models, it would be amazing if Grady would produce specific extinct models for one year. Rather than continuous annual production runs, bring back the 228 for one year, the 258 the following, and the 282 after that etc.
Collecting data from boat shows, web searches, customer service/dealer inquiries, used model demand, used selling prices, etc would give them a good idea as to when and how many to build for a limited run.
Yeah, I know there would be challenges with production and material updates, but I'm confident they would still turn a healthy profit.
I think you‘re on the right track, Grady could produce Limited Edition production runs of those models and I bet they would command a premium price as well. If you build it they will come. I often wonder if Grady staff monitor this forum to get information on current Grady owner’s thoughts for market research?

Pescadote

Reaction score
They have made a secondary market for the PNW. Here is a conversion of a Grady made in Scappoose, OR by Joe Dovel He has also made a nice weather top for a 28' Grady with sliding windows. I'm considering having him do my boat. View attachment 22546View attachment 22547
Hey the top one is my boat! Joe did an awesome job! As a tall guy, I absolutely love the taller cabin and windshield.

Reactions: Meanwhile

billyttpd

Reaction score
There is such a tendency that everything old becomes new again and i really think you will see this happen with boats. In about 10-15 years walk arounds will become all the rage again. That said a WA based on the 21 foot hull is something GW should look into now.....a cross between the Adventure and Seafarer with a wider beam would sell.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
billyttpd may have a point here. So many things in Life are cyclical.

As I mentioned earlier, you can't run a successful business driven by emotion. We can all say how much we love walkarounds and that it's a mistake to deprive the buying public of that Market, but we're not paying the bills at Grady-White. They see the cash flow and understand the trends. They would not have been here this long if they didn't.

My selling dealer in Fla has not stocked walkarounds for a couple years now. Only DC's. That's what sells. That's what matters.

Reactions: B-Shell and kirk a

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
We love the WA concept, and cannot understand why the general public is now turning its nose up at that style. However, if there was a big demand for WAs, GW would still keep making them.

What are the current express models that they are making?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I saw this topic several months back in another thread and am honestly somewhat baffled as well. I'm sure it's got to be a financial decision for them and they likely aren't making enough of the 226's/228's to justify continuing production of them. I personally have only owned WA boats and in the PNW, I wouldn't really ever consider owning anything other than a WA. Imo, and again this is just my opinion, the WA boats are the most versatile boats out there in that you can sleep overnight on them, have a cabin for all of your fishing poles, downriggers and so on. Some of the larger WA's have big enough cabins for a stand up head, shower and some people around here even live on their boats in a slip at the marina. They also have cushions on the front so if you did want to ride up on the bow while cruising then it would be more comfortable. They aren't going to be as safe as a DC console boat in that people can sit up front going full speed in more comfort and you're sitting down lower so it would be much safer. That being said, around here in the Puget Sound the water gets relatively choppy and I'm not looking to go WOT, and especially if someone was sitting on the bow. If someone wanted a lake only boat then it might be a different story. In comparison, the CC boats just seem so cramped and I don't like the idea of taking waves over the bow of the boat, and the same goes with DC boats. The CC boats also don't have a ton of seating underneath the hardtop and I don't know about you but I get sunburned very easily. So I like to sit underneath the hardtop and have some protection from the sun, rain and other elements. If one had a wife and kids, didn't do any fishing or crabbing at all and never intended on spending the night in the boat then maybe a DC boat would be better suited for them. That being said, if you ever think there's the possibility of doing even one of those things, then I'd definitely look for a WA.

It's frustrating because the 228, again imo, seems like the perfect sized WA for what I'd need it for. It has the offshore bracket instead of a notched transom, the floor that you stand on is all one level without any steps so you don't have to worry about tripping or slipping when walking up a single or multiple set of stairs. It has a decent sized cockpit and cabin area for your gear and to sleep overnight on and it seems like a pretty large boat for only being 22'. I like it much more than the 208 as it's a heavier boat has the offshore bracket on the transom yet it still seems to be very trailerable/launchable with just one person and have heard the ride quality is phenomenal. It also isn't an absolute tank like the 232 with a 9'3" beam compared to an 8', which means you don't need any special permits for trailering the boat, which makes trailering and launching much more easily, especially by yourself or someone with little experience, and I'd have to assume it's better on fuel as well. These are again just my opinions, I'm sure GW has to think about the best interests of their company and with the difficult times the economy has had, I'm sure it's not in their best interests to continue the 226/228 lineup. I'd wager a lot of it has to do with pricing and believe the 208 is less than $100k brand new whereas the 228 fully loaded as well as the 232 probably start near $125k or so? I'd bet a lot of people probably see the price jump of the 228 compared to the 208 and if they're in that price range, they probably spend the extra money and jump up in size to the 232. Again, these are just my opinions and speculations. I could be wrong about the sales and pricing of their boats, that being said... if I was wrong, I think they'd probably still offer the 226/228 instead of discontinuing it. At least for the time being. I do think it would be a really cool thing if they had an "anniversary edition" like one of the other members mentioned above. So that you could buy whichever model you wanted every 5-10 years or whatnot. Hopefully they don't continue with eliminating the 226/228 permanently and hopefully it comes back at some point, and seems like it's driven prices for these now discontinued boats up quite a bit.

Last edited:

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
That will be a popular boat down here in Florida. Looks a lot like the Robalo Cayman. I get clowned by my family when we use the Grady...or as they call it...Grampa Grady.
Keep in mind that after just a few years, GW stopped selling the 191 Coastal Explorer. They still make the 251 Coastal Explorer and I saw one running in Galveston, TX just a few weeks ago. No way in hell would I trade my 236 Fisherman for the 251 Coastal Explorer.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For people moving up to a Seafarer, maybe it is the perfect boat. For those down sizing, it is very tight. Maneuvering around the helm seats is like 2 people trying to change clothes in an airplane bathroom. And turning around to back into the cabin is not a selling point for most. And we are not large people.