The Winter Bite Is Starting

MrPat

Reaction score
A couple of buds, Newy and Jack fished with me out of Ponce Inlet FL 11-15-06. The morning bite was hot, with 3 red snappers and a sailfish. The rest of the day was slow, but we managed a few more fish. We were one shy of our limit of 6 snapper. Oh, we all had our chances at the 6th, but sometimes the fish wins that battle. 4 of the 5 snapps were in the 15-20 pound range.

That sailfish was a swim up who hit a free lined blue runner. Jack battled him on my spinner (15lb test)for ten minutes. Newy expertly billed that sail, but in the process, lost his cigarettes and his liter. We decided not to lift the sail for a picture, but we guessed his weight to be in the 40-50 pound range.

In addition to the sail Jack scored with a king fish (maybe 15lbs),a keeper red snapper, keeper sea bass, bar jack, and a lesser amber jack. He got the king on a butterfly jig. He was our multi-species winner for the day.

Oh, Newy's accomplishments, in addition to quitting smoking for a few long hours, included landing the biggest ARS of the day and doing battle for a while with a BIG known fish (yep the fish won the battle). We guessed either a BIG nurse shark or jewfish.

Good bait was hard to come by at my spot; should have tried a wreck. Most of the snapps came on a deen/squid combo. aka. "pig in a blanket". We never did run deeper than 140ft, due to the lack of good live bait.

I had a fun day fishing with Jack and Newy. Got to love catching some quality fish on a cool day with calm seas.

Me

P1010010_48.jpg

Jack

P1010014_26.jpg

Newy

P1010012_29.jpg

Sail

P1010003_50.jpg