TheHullTruth

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Maybe it's not the log in, maybe it's being in the Captains' Club, or Admirals' Club now, that I had to pay something like $20 to join in '03, so that I could list items in the classified forum. Anyway, if I am logged in, I don't notice any ads, other than a sponsors banner across the top of some pages. Not logged in, it is unbearable.
Not many list their age here, either, but you didn't have to go through 15 pages of profiles to try to prove your point, I don't think age is an option in a THT profile.
I'll change age related topics, to topics related to age of THT users, which believe it or not, there have been a few since you were in grade school.
I never noticed your age, I am surprised that you are only 36. You're right, I thought that you were your father, that old dude who is always good for at least half a page. ;)
Age is an option on THT but next to no one puts it on their profile, whereas on here it seems like it's closer to 50/50, along with the location of where abouts you're located at. I had a few minutes to spare and to where I wasn't doing anything so I looked up the thread on THT mostly out of curiosity comparing that site vs this one. I do like to give my own personal feedback when people ask questions on here that I have some knowledge or personal experiences with... especially in regards to cross country road trips for boats. At the end of the day... even us "young bucks" have a few bits of advice or information worth reading about, even it is a few paragraphs or a half a page in length ;)

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The fuel tank on my 21' Arima had a molded plastic tank. Would something like that fare better than the aluminum?
Mustang.......I have no experience with molded plastic (poly) tanks so I can't really answer your question except to say that I could not get a molded tank to replace the main on my Offshore. 93 gallons and built to fit in the space between the stringers.
Maybe you want to start a thread on THT? :)

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mustang.......I have no experience with molded plastic (poly) tanks so I can't really answer your question except to say that I could not get a molded tank to replace the main on my Offshore. 93 gallons and built to fit in the space between the stringers.
Maybe you want to start a thread on THT? :)
I'm not in need of a fuel tank for my boat anytime soon, knock on wood, I was just curious is all. And I think this would probably be the best site for Grady White related questions?

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
There is a small contingent who share constructive thought and support for others but for the most part is dominated by trolls who bait others for their own amusement.
I’ll check it now and then for the fishing reports and to pickup tips provided by the few who post constructive information and still care.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm not in need of a fuel tank for my boat anytime soon, knock on wood, I was just curious is all. And I think this would probably be the best site for Grady White related questions?
You are correct.......I was being facetious.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Y'all need to just embrace the hate of THT and Grady . it's Yella Fin , Freeman , and SeaVee or Contender. It should just called center console .

I have accepted the THT reality that my boat as we speak is nothing more than a rotting hulk on my trailer and when I leave it in the water I expect to come back to it sunk at the dock.

If you go to THT looking for Grady affirmation and approval of your purchase you're barking up the wrong tree . Side note, I never understood why people look to strangers on the internet for approval of their life choices and purchases.

You will find some good nuggets of info there on general boating maintenance and stuff.

Reactions: Jrspawn

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Y'all need to just embrace the hate of THT and Grady . it's Yella Fin , Freeman , and SeaVee or Contender. It should just called center console .

I have accepted the THT reality that my boat as we speak is nothing more than a rotting hulk on my trailer and when I leave it in the water I expect to come back to it sunk at the dock.

If you go to THT looking for Grady affirmation and approval of your purchase you're barking up the wrong tree . Side note, I never understood why people look to strangers on the internet for approval of their life choices and purchases.

You will find some good nuggets of info there on general boating maintenance and stuff.
I agree with the entire statement except for the part about "Side note, I never understood why people look to strangers on the internet for approval of their life choices and purchases." I think with the internet that it's the exact same in life, in that it's all about location, location, location. For example, I came to this site almost 2 years ago looking for information on Grady White's and especially 228 Seafarers, and you guys all provided a wealth of information. I think that there are obviously sites out there that should be taken more seriously about opinions given, and conversely those that shouldn't. This site, I think is definitely one where it seems like the levels of drama are quite low and the opinions/statements are generally pretty valid. THT on the other hand seems like it's about 50/50 at best, and to where a keyboard war will break out over just about any topic of conversation. With most of the internet, I take what people say with a grain of salt but there are always exceptions to the rule, this site being one of them.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I enjoy THT for the most part. I have been on forums since the days of BBS and tend to stay away from the trolls. The deals thread might be the best thing on the net over there. I have scored some great deals over the years.

Forums for the most part are dieing a slow death. Most of the usable info has gone to social media unfortunately. I miss Classic fill in the boat brand forums.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I enjoy THT for the most part. I have been on forums since the days of BBS and tend to stay away from the trolls. The deals thread might be the best thing on the net over there. I have scored some great deals over the years.

Forums for the most part are dieing a slow death. Most of the usable info has gone to social media unfortunately. I miss Classic fill in the boat brand forums.
I remember the old BBS boards back in the day before THT. I remember one particular individual named Dunk who was sought after for professional advise on a daily basis. I still check THT on a regular basis. There is still some bits of good info over there if you can separate out the crap. Many of the pros like SIM, Parker, Carrigan, and the late Tabman have slowly drifted away from that board. I agree that many are now using social media platforms for info. Posted questions on the GW pages on FB get alot of looks faster than the old forums and much quicker responses. For Grady advise, I usually will post here and on FB. For Yamaha, for me its BoB where Andy or Ole will usually get back to you with some straight answers without the BS. Never and I mean never mention the word OIL on THT or challenge the quality of the big Florida CC's. It will never end.

Reactions: blindmullet

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I agree with the entire statement except for the part about "Side note, I never understood why people look to strangers on the internet for approval of their life choices and purchases." I think with the internet that it's the exact same in life, in that it's all about location, location, location. For example, I came to this site almost 2 years ago looking for information on Grady White's and especially 228 Seafarers, and you guys all provided a wealth of information. I think that there are obviously sites out there that should be taken more seriously about opinions given, and conversely those that shouldn't. This site, I think is definitely one where it seems like the levels of drama are quite low and the opinions/statements are generally pretty valid. THT on the other hand seems like it's about 50/50 at best, and to where a keyboard war will break out over just about any topic of conversation. With most of the internet, I take what people say with a grain of salt but there are always exceptions to the rule, this site being one of them.
What I am talking about is the Yamaha versus Mercury crap. The what tier is my boat Sea Hunt , Bayliner , Grady kind of discussions. I do think some debate is good and you want to know if something is good ,but if you drive Ford and I drive Chevy , who really cares ? You know. The Grady hate there is real and it runs deep.

There is some flood stuff there ,some crazy entertainment stuff and just nonsense .

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score

Since the COVID stuff and election drama , my desire to be on Facebook is non-existent. I hope Great Grady doesn't fade away anytime soon.. I have not looked at Facebook since September.

I have to admit one thing. When I was in the hospital with COVID in August my wife posted stuff on Facebook. It was disappointing for me. People messaged me on messenger. They didn't wish me well or say hope to see you soon. It was are you vaccinated or not. Really? You didn't have any interest me and my well being ? After that I was like, see ya . I am a member of two or three Grady groups there . I just can't stand the rest of it. Lol

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What I am talking about is the Yamaha versus Mercury crap. The what tier is my boat Sea Hunt , Bayliner , Grady kind of discussions. I do think some debate is good and you want to know if something is good ,but if you drive Ford and I drive Chevy , who really cares ? You know. The Grady hate there is real and it runs deep.

There is some flood stuff there ,some crazy entertainment stuff and just nonsense .
I think there's a time and a place for conversations like that, especially if people are behaving themselves and being cordial to the others involved in the conversation. That being said, when people rehash the same topics over and over and then get into pissing matches over them, especially when they're both the same old topics on the same old outboards, then yes it's quite frustrating. If one of the outboard manufacturers came out with a brand new model that someone was curious about then it would be completely different, but yes things that have been argued over the last several years that have seen no changes in that time get to be quite frustrating. I think that with boats, outboards and just about anything you purchase in life that there are going to be tradeoffs... one boat rides better but is heavier and conversely doesn't get as good of fuel economy. One outboard has a better gear ratio or has a timing chain vs a timing belt or one has a better price or warranty than the other one. I don't think there is any perfect boat, perfect motor or anything else, because if there was then everyone would own whatever it was and all of the other manufacturers would've gone out of business long ago. There's a bit of a compromise to everything, it's just a matter of how much you want to compromise to either keep what you've got or get something different. I like pretty much everything about my 228 Seafarer, although it would be nice if there was a bit more space in the helm and fishing areas, maybe a slightly wider beam at 8'6" vs 8', and it doesn't get as great of fuel economy as my 21' Arima got. That being said, for the ride quality and comfort, I'll take the 228 Seafarer any day of the week over the Arima.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Since the COVID stuff and election drama , my desire to be on Facebook is non-existent. I hope Great Grady doesn't fade away anytime soon.. I have not looked at Facebook since September.

I have to admit one thing. When I was in the hospital with COVID in August my wife posted stuff on Facebook. It was disappointing for me. People messaged me on messenger. They didn't wish me well or say hope to see you soon. It was are you vaccinated or not. Really? You didn't have any interest me and my well being ? After that I was like, see ya . I am a member of two or three Grady groups there . I just can't stand the rest of it. Lol
Haha over the last several years and both of the last elections I had to go through and delete a ton of "friends" on my Facebook page. The only reason I still keep it around is because of family or friends who live out of state that I can keep in touch with or wish a happy birthday to. And yes, when there are events like you mentioned where you're sick and in the hospital then I always like to try to reach out and ask if there's anything that they need or that I can do to help them out. Because I've been in that situation before where my family needed a lot of prayers and support after my brother passed away at the age of 34 due to complications from cancer.

Not trying to get too much into the Covid thing, that being said I've seen and heard of people passing away from Covid that were fully vaccinated and boosted, lots of people are having allergic reactions or serious health problems just from getting the vaccinations themselves. I know of at least 5 people who have died just from getting vaccinated and complications from the vaccines, which is over double that I know who have died from Covid itself. As with the rest of life, my philosophy is to do what you think is best for you and your family but don't judge or give others an "friendship ultimatum" or "guilt trip" if what they think is best for them or their family is different from your own views. On top of that, be willing to accept the consequences of your actions and choices for whatever decision you end up making.

Yardtoy

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'll be honest and say I was quite surprised when I came over here from the Arima Owners forum and seriously looking for a 228 Seafarer to buy when I heard that GW still used wood in their transoms. I figured a company like GW would have gotten away from using wood long ago, as I believe Arima stopped using plywood in the mid 1990's. I was a bit surprised to hear it, definitely not a deal breaker and it didn't make me not want to buy a GW anymore. My biggest frustration was getting all excited and thinking I'd found "the one", then paying to have a surveyor go out and inspect the boat to have them tell me the floor is spongy or that there was a lot of water intrusion on the moisture reader. Other than being a simple frustration, a 1st world problem, and being out $600, it wasn't anything I lost sleep over and simply continued my search for another 228 Seafarer to look at purchasing.
There out there I bought one 8 weeks ago, dry stacked most of its life, ( it’s a 1989 ) I replaced all the thruhulls didn’t find any water or rot in the transom, hopping I don’t have to replace the tank

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There out there I bought one 8 weeks ago, dry stacked most of its life, ( it’s a 1989 ) I replaced all the thruhulls didn’t find any water or rot in the transom, hopping I don’t have to replace the tank
Indeed, I just bought my 2004 GW 228 Seafarer back in Maryland this last October and she is a fantastic looking boat, and most importantly one that needs little to nothing done before being used this spring/summer.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I took myself off Facebook a few years back and came back for groups/market place during the past year.There are a few fiberglass groups and wood working groups that have been beneficial for my hobbies. My son and I are redoing my(his) Mako for his fishing needs. My boat had well over 100k hits on CM but that forum has pretty much died.

Everyone is muted on my FB! Lol