Then I cut a big hole in the deck

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Needed to access that huge wasted space under the deck for storage. Took a while and bought several hatches before I found a color match. Finally found one. - sorry pics are flipped.

Measured lots
Cut a hole
epoxied the wood edges.
Rerouted wires
Sanded/Primed/ painted

I haven’t used it yet but I know it will fit at least 2 Downriggers, my stern anchor,extra line and a few fenders. Now I get my fish box back for fish!
0A0A80BE-7B5E-4FE8-8474-3BADD5DD1E69.jpegB556B937-3551-456C-A4CD-27B499B4B489.jpeg6EECE0F2-5DA9-4293-A2CA-A437F83F0129.jpeg6C0359DD-08A6-4233-9B26-87D40DE627CD.jpeg5CE5A898-020F-4D7D-B1F1-A27D9456028D.jpeg34C4A99F-F30E-45D2-8D8D-BE752F28568F.jpegFD71922A-2122-4C31-9B04-CEC6E8EEBF5C.jpeg

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice work there Drifter!

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good job! Coring looks good, has it been redone, or is it original? What size hatch did you end up with, frame or hatch dimensions? I think about that space once in a while, but as a week-ender at the coast, projects move slowly. Did you consider a large plastic container, instead of painting the space? A light? Sorry about the 20 questions, but they keep popping up. Were the 2 crossmembers already on the bottom of the hatch? I don't recall seeing them on the re-coring threads. I have looked through the pie plate, and my 2000 has the fuel line and vent run for the aux tank.
Some day!

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Tempress sells a shallow bucket that fits right inside the opening, could be handy for things you dont want things right in the basement. I should make hatch bigger, i have to force my G5 bumpers through the hole.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like it too. The only question I have is how stable is the hatch cover. Any flex when you stand on it? Did you consider a metal one?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice work Drift!!! Good option for storage for wet gear like what you have in mind. You can never have enough storage space. I go through my boat every now and then to purge unnecessary stuff that has accumulated that I don't use, that just adds weight.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Tempress sells a shallow bucket that fits right inside the opening, could be handy for things you dont want things right in the basement. I should make hatch bigger, i have to force my G5 bumpers through the hole.
I got one of those buckets thinking the same thing...turned out it was not removeable. it was designed to go under the hatch flange.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I got one of those buckets thinking the same thing...turned out it was not removeable. it was designed to go under the hatch flange.
Well that just stinks...darn

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good job! Coring looks good, has it been redone, or is it original? What size hatch did you end up with, frame or hatch dimensions? I think about that space once in a while, but as a week-ender at the coast, projects move slowly. Did you consider a large plastic container, instead of painting the space? A light? Sorry about the 20 questions, but they keep popping up. Were the 2 crossmembers already on the bottom of the hatch? I don't recall seeing them on the re-coring threads. I have looked through the pie plate, and my 2000 has the fuel line and vent run for the aux tank.
Some day!

I considered several sizes and even bought several hatches but went with a 16"x24" hatch so I can get bulky stuff down there and a Coastal liferaft like Omar's got.

The fiberglass was very sharp and "stabby" down there so sanding painting white makes it nice. I still can put containers down there if I want but want all the space right now. I'm sure I'll decide when I start to use it this season. No light is needed, it's not a space for small things.

Crossmembers are core are stock on my 2001. It's several squares, like Grady would have put in. You can't see the crossmembers from the pie hole, need to feel them. I located it in the middle to not cut through them. Yup mine has the same hoses run. Luckily there's no hole cut in the cap for the filler.

I did add a filler board so big items can slide back under the fresh water tannk.

Reactions: Danel

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I like it too. The only question I have is how stable is the hatch cover. Any flex when you stand on it? Did you consider a metal one?

It does flex a bit. I couldn't find a metal one actually, post a link if you know of one. Color match was important to me, that's why finding a hatch is tricky for Grady's. WHITE really stands out. I found in my case the hatch frame flex more than the hatch door so I was able to add a thicked epoxy fillet between the frame and the cutout to stop any movement. That helped with the flex. The other thing that helps is the placment, standing between the chairs is really hard even for a skinny fellow like my self so people won't be standing on it much. Behind or infront is more comfortable.

Backup plans if I don't like some flex:
A: Stiffen the door with fiberglass/epoxy (all will be hidden)
B: Buy a premade custom starboard non-skid hatch with a aluminum frame from Boat outfitters $350ish... (cost is high but it will work well)

This is where I bought the hatch: https://www.dpimarineinc.com/DPF1620

Reactions: Koz54

seasick

Reaction score
They are out there, Biaer is one manufacturer. That said, they can easily cost a grand!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yea, that is a bit pricey. You're prob all set with the one you picked.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
awesome job . Girls only want to date boys with skills. you got some great skills, fiberglass skills , hole cutting skills and likely even nunchuck skills. lol.

davescarp

Reaction score
Needed to access that huge wasted space under the deck for storage. Took a while and bought several hatches before I found a color match. Finally found one.

Measured lots
Cut a hole
epoxied the wood edges.
Rerouted wires
Sanded/Primed/ painted

I haven’t used it yet but I know it will fit at least 2 Downriggers, my stern anchor,extra line and a few fenders. Now I get my fish box back for fish!

Man that looks awesome. How difficult was it to re-route the wires etc. in that rigging conduit? Has anyone ever made a flush fitting fiberglass hatch for that area? I couldn't do it but thought a proper shop should be able to, right?

wavetamer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
that has made look at my 228, didn't think there was that kind of room. mine has an aux fuel tank the one pic of inside hull cavity is that the end of aux tank?

Last edited:

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Man that looks awesome. How difficult was it to re-route the wires etc. in that rigging conduit? Has anyone ever made a flush fitting fiberglass hatch for that area? I couldn't do it but thought a proper shop should be able to, right?

For me it was very easy. I cut out the rigging tube, that only had one active wire and ran in around the front side of the space. Used plastic wire clamps so I can easily add wires in the future. No need for a rigging tube since I have a giant hatch instead. Anything you can dream of can probably be made of fiberglass if you have the skill. I don't have the skill to cosmetically finish a hatch w/ non skid and gutters but someone in the future could definitely do it. Definitely a pro can do it. I bought a non-skid mold to match the Grady Diamond pattern but haven't had much luck with it.

Last edited:

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
that has made look at my 228, didn't think there was that kind of room. mine has an aux fuel tank the one pic of inside hull cavity is that the end of aux tank?

Water tank. Makes a good seat while I sanded/wired/painted. I may enlarge the water tank at some point now that I have easy access.

Last edited: