Things you wished you knew your first year owning a 360?

KorrMuraan

Reaction score
I'm planning to purchase an Express 360 with a trio of Yamaha F350s and doing all the initial research. The boat will be primarily fished out of central/southern Florida. The purchase is still down the line till I learn how to read charts, boating laws, signals, blue water safety, read radar, etc, etc, etc...

I'm not really looking for financial info, such as, maintenance, slip, fuel, fees, etc... most of which I'm well aware of.

What I'm looking for is some good info that only a seasoned Grady owner (or just someone that happened to learn some helpful info the hard way) would know. Practical stuff, like replace the stock anchor with *this* brand/model, protect your hull with *this* brand of paint, get an *x* pitch prop, how to best keep a helm ventilated, and here's a list of my favorites mods and reasons for them.

Thanks! 8)

striped bass

Reaction score
KorrMuraan:

This is a little off the topic. A 360 is a BIG vessel. If you are just learning how to read charts, boating laws, signals, blue water safety, and read radar, I would suggest that a GW 360 is too much boat. Just learning how to keep up with the F350 maintenance is a trip in itself. The stewardship of the 360 is no small matter. If you have not already done so, you should do an extensive sea trial on a 360 before you make this leap of faith. Please don't take offense, I'm just trying to point out the magnitude of owning a large vessel and at the same time going through your baptismal fire of navigation and rules of the road.

richie rich

Reaction score
I agree with striped bass....the general knowledge is an acquired taste so to speak....things like bottom paint, price per foot, fuel, anchors , ventilation etc are not limited to 36 footers......they are basic to all boats big and small.....the paint thats good for a 24 footer is the same for a 56 footer if they are in the same waters....cost for dockage and fuel is linear....so unless you have a specific question about a 36 foot GW, the rest remains the same with all the members of GWBOF.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A 36 should not be your first boat. Start somewhere in the low 20's. You're going to get into trouble at some point and it's easier to get out of it in a small boat.

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are a new boater, and insist on the big 360, be sure to get a bow thruster, cause you will have some dicey days learning how to slip that big boy.

KorrMuraan

Reaction score
Capt Armchair said:
If you are a new boater, and insist on the big 360, be sure to get a bow thruster, cause you will have some dicey days learning how to slip that big boy.

The sissy stick is standard, as is pretty much everything on the 360. 8)

And guys, thank you, I do appreciate the concern. The 360 simply best fits everything I'm looking for currently. With all respect, I indeed understand the dangers and the steep learning curve.

a1mccray

Reaction score
Congrats. If you are not familiar to boating just take it slow and ask a lot of questions. You really should take a basic boating class. Please do this and save yourself a lot of headaches. Ill tell you what. I have a nice 2005 226 Seafarer that I will trade with you for a year or two so you can learn the ropes (lines as they are called). This way you can learn on a smaller boat and then take over the 360 with confidence. No need to thank me. It is the least I can do to help a fellow Grady Whiter.
P.S. Sure sign of a newbie. Don't let your fenders ( bumpers) hang over the side while underway. It is like walking around with your zipper undone.

The Black Pearl II

Reaction score

I have a 360, and did move my way up the line. the 360 is a great boat. I have changed a few things that work well for me. as for what you need to know, mostly follow the manual for the engines etc. you will just have to use the boat to get a feel for how it handles.

JiminGA

Reaction score
Like what the others said -

- Take several boating classes through USCG Auxilliary and/or Power Squadron

- Get Chapmans Seamanship and Boat Handling and READ it!

IMO, If you have the $$$$ to spring for a 360 as your first boat AND you are a novice boater, then by all means get advice from the dealer on several competient local Captains and hire them to go with you for the first SEVERAL times you run the boat. Aim for days where the seas are rougher and the tide and winds are higher. Let them show you procedures for anchoring and docking and close quarter maneuvering. Have the captain run with you thru tricky inlets where you can find yourself in waves you weren't expecting. Also. let him go with you in rougher water conditons and let him show you how to handle the boat and operate tabs in varying conditions - upsea and downsea, etc.

Even though you have a bow thruster, I'd want to be able to get the boat back to the dock safely without using it - I've heard of several instances where thrusters can become inoperative - you should be able to handle the boat without it and at least get it back to the dock without damaging anything. A boat that size means you will be in a slip in close vicinity of large boats/yachts, some costing in the $$$millions. You BETTER be able to handle your boat!!!

You'll likely have VHF radio(s), radar, chartplotter, depth/fishfinder, etc. An experienced captain can be a huge help in being more competent in their use.

You may also want to check with potential boat insurance companies - they may not be real eager to cover your 360 with you being a beginner and having no experience.

I hope you take these suggestions as trying to be constructive. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
JiminGA said:
You may also want to check with potential boat insurance companies - they may not be real eager to cover your 360 with you being a beginner and having no experience.

That is a good point. First question they always ask me is 'how much experience'.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
JiminGA said:
>snip
- Take several boating classes through USCG Auxilliary and/or Power Squadron

- Get Chapmans Seamanship and Boat Handling and READ it!

>snip
...get advice from the dealer on several competient local Captains and hire them to go with you for the first SEVERAL times you run the boat. Aim for days where the seas are rougher and the tide and winds are higher. Let them show you procedures for anchoring and docking and close quarter maneuvering. Have the captain run with you thru tricky inlets where you can find yourself in waves you weren't expecting. Also. let him go with you in rougher water conditons and let him show you how to handle the boat and operate tabs in varying conditions - upsea and downsea, etc.

>snip

X2
A guy I work with bought a 42' Silverton as his first boat. The broker/dealer was a licensed captain and went out with him many times for training. He would also hire him to skipper the boat when they were going out for a booze cruise so he could party with his guests and not have to worry about piloting his pristine vessel.

It is a steep learning curve and the liability for those around you, as mentioned, is as much concern.

BTW, you might see about doing a few skippered charters, or somehow get some time out there with the wifey to make sure she likes it. About half the newer boats on the used market are guys like you that thought boating would be the greatest family entertainment since, well, sliced bread, if you know what I mean. After a couple of trips in some inclimate weather she hangs it up and he either fishes with the boys, the boat sits in it's slip, or it gets put up for sale. At that level the depreciation loss can be substantial. Not trying to scare you, just sayin'. That's a big investment to just see if you all like it. And I think that's what some of the members here are trying to say as well. It's like laying yourself out there for a lot of hurt, in all aspects.

BTW, welcome to Great Grady. It's a great bunch of owners, and a wealth of information for you as you get started.

KorrMuraan

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Again... I understand, but I think we're getting far off topic.

OK, for sake of arguement, assume I already have a 360 and all the necessary training.

I'm just looking for mods, products, handy items, electronics that aren't standard but you happen to find invaluable, etc...

JiminGA

Reaction score
KorrMuraan said:
For example, I'm looking at throwing some jack plates on from Bob's Machine Shop.

So you're a very beginner boater with (as you admit) NO experience - you're buying the top of the line GW - and you think you need to "throw on some jack plates"?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

KorrMuraan

Reaction score
JiminGA said:
KorrMuraan said:
For example, I'm looking at throwing some jack plates on from Bob's Machine Shop.

So you're a very beginner boater with (as you admit) NO experience - you're buying the top of the line GW - and you think you need to "throw on some jack plates"?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

You miss that it was an "example"? :roll:

KorrMuraan

Reaction score
Seriously guys? Is reading comprehension that low here?

I've been polite and I've yet to get one helpful post.

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
KorrMuraan said:
Seriously guys? Is reading comprehension that low here?

I've been polite and I've yet to get one helpful post.

Well now there is a comment that is decidedly not polite and is sure to win you lots of friends. This site is without question the best place for a GW owner to get information, don't blow it. I have been helped many times and now share what I have learned about my GW and general boating info, gained over the past 16 years.

I think people genuinely are concerned for you, having a lack of understanding about what it means to have a 360 as your first rig. No electronics etc are going to compensate for a complete lack of experience in such a boat. Relax and be patient, there are some very helpful people on this site.

My .02.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
To be even looking at links to jack plates for a 360 is kind of weird. like getting fluffy dice for your ferrari...........or a high lift kit for the suspension........

Whilst I was originally sympathetic to your request, I'm now starting to think more reading is required and that most of the advice here has been pretty "spot on".

I think " you can't tell someone something they don't know, if they don't know, that they don't know."

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sure sounds like a THT troll.
In fact, I'll bet you could get lots of 'helpful hints' on jackplates and doo-dads for a 360 over there. It's THE source for great stuff like that: www.thehulltruth.com