Things you wished you knew your first year owning a 360?

KorrMuraan

Reaction score
:lol: wow, nevermind

The jackplate was an example and something I planned to put on my Puma FTD. I was attempting to nicely spoon feed you guys an example of a boat mod with helpful links because it seems you can't keep on topic. Seems you guys couldn't even figure that one out.

Forget it, I got nothing but a bunch of hot air, posturing, and patronizing answers from this forum :roll:

I was just hoping for a few helpful hints on addtions/mods to the boat. I'm done wasting time here. I can do more effective research on my own frankly.

later kids 8)

tilewave

Reaction score
i dont own a 360 so i cant give you advice on what could help u with that boat. iif i can thuink of anything helpful i will post for you. AS FOR ALL U OTHER REPLIERS. NOT ONE OF U ADDRESSED OR ANSWERED HIS QUESTION.! YA PRACTICALLY TURNED THE GUY OFF TO THIS FORUM WHICH IS USUALLY A COURTEOUS & HELPFUL FORM. WHAT THE HELL DO U GUYS GIVE 2 SHITZ ABOUT WHAT KIND OF BOAT HE BUYS. N DONT COME BACK WITH SOME BULLZHIT ABOUT " YOUR ONLY TRYING TO HELP". GO BACK TO THE HULL TRUTH !!!!

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I will never own a 360 ( couldn't afford the fuel) so I had nothing to help there. And , well I never expected Koor Muraan to go back to the dealer and ask for a 22 footer ' cause the guys on Great Grady thought he would have probs handling a 36 footer first up.

So I stayed out of the "advice" until we were "spooned" a link to jackplates..........I guess I was having a bad e-day and failed to see the joke. It can be difficult to decipher humour online.

However, as is often the case, there is fault on both sides, and if we all could take a cold shower, and then only if you are lucky enought to afford a 360 with triple 350's, maybe you have something you've learned in the first 12 months that only applies to 360's and you could help the guy out . How about the thread on THT relating to the flywheel issues with the 350's , that should be "helpful".

striped bass

Reaction score
Black Pearl II listed his changes on another post.

"just wanted to see what other 360 owners have changed/modified? and what still needs done. so here is my list of changes, and what needs fixing

I moved the drop curtains to just behind the seats, now they stay there and it works just like a sport fisher. also changed those back curtains to hard plastics-and made the center swing up and zipper to the netting-works really well

changed the red rope/red LED light to white- it is very cool

added a hand rail that is welded to the hardtop, but runs along/mirrors the curve of the windshield-great for kids to hold on to

raised the companion seat up 6"-what an improvement you can see over the windshield!

added hot water to the rear shower (the girls love this)

looking to solve the following:

there has got to be a better way to access the wash down/live well. under the bed cushion stinks. is there such a thing as a motor that opens the valve when you turn in on and closes it after? how about cutting a access panel in the foot well?

plastic around the helm-this needs to be hard- but at 4K it has too wait!

not catching as much fish as i would like-don't think this is the boat!

overall the 360 is really close to perfect for me."

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
wow, this is some thread.

A first time boat owner wants to buy a 360 and asks for things beyond the basics of how to run / maintain a very complex, high maintenance boat and then disrespects the advice offered by many experienced boaters.

Two observations: is this a real post- or someone wanting to find info on how to trash a GW? Secondly, the SMALL stuff, ie, ALL of the examples offered, prop pitch, jack plates, whatever, is absolutely the least of anyones worries in your position. Inconsequential at best, imho.

My advice, from owing a 360 for over 4 years, putting about 3,000 miles on her, and a 330 for several years before that and a similar number of miles, all over the Gulf, FL, Bahamas, etc is this:

a. ask for advice - and then take it - with respect and honor. Folks on this forum will bend over backwards to help you but being disrespectful is the easiest way to see 0 in your post response counts
b. go to sea school; there are many, but spend a week or two learning seamanship and boat handling and navigation basics on someone elses boat. your insurance will be high enough, save the dings and learning curves on wind / current / chop / whatever on your boat and let a seasoned capt teach you the basics, and maybe even some advanced stuff. This is not the day of dealer orientation - this is a certified sea school that will teach you the basics of how to operate a boat safely
c. electronics are lifesavers, but my advice is learn to operate the boat first by charts, compass and weather forecasts. Then learn your electronics and match them to what you learned from the charts and other sources. I have had my GPS die for example in very rough water offshore; what do I do now? If I took the easy approach, I could have spent a few days drifting until found. Get my idea?
d. last but not least: this may sound counter intuitive, but the 360 is the flagship of one of the premier boat companies in the world. Your second guessing them on "what to do / change / adjust" as a novice with zero big boat experience is just out of touch with reality. You really think they will sell a 360 unless its already 98% ready for anything it could face? Sorry to disappoint but GW gets the honors each year because they earn them, not because someone else second guesses their hundreds of years of experience and expertise.

I learn new things every day, how to improve my skills, adapt to new conditions, whatever. Just part of life.

If you take the advice offered to you, go to sea school, try your best to read / memorize the 360 manual and recommendations, and don't head out thinking its just like driving or owning a car, you actually may have a blast on the 360 every time you go out and start building a lifetime of memories and expertise you could share with future new owners too.

Just my .02 of course......

KorrMuraan

Reaction score
tilewave said:
i dont own a 360 so i cant give you advice on what could help u with that boat. iif i can thuink of anything helpful i will post for you. AS FOR ALL U OTHER REPLIERS. NOT ONE OF U ADDRESSED OR ANSWERED HIS QUESTION.! YA PRACTICALLY TURNED THE GUY OFF TO THIS FORUM WHICH IS USUALLY A COURTEOUS & HELPFUL FORM. WHAT THE HELL DO U GUYS GIVE 2 SHITZ ABOUT WHAT KIND OF BOAT HE BUYS. N DONT COME BACK WITH SOME BULLZHIT ABOUT " YOUR ONLY TRYING TO HELP". GO BACK TO THE HULL TRUTH !!!!

Thank you!
At least I'm not the only one that understands my frustation. It's kinda like politely waiting for your senile great grandfather to stop talking before you can ask him a specific question. I just got tired of asking.

and striped bass, thanks, I saw that thread too. I'll just cherry pick items from Black Pearl's thread. Maybe he can get a few straight answers without getting jumped.

I think I'll just let this one die as I don't feel the need to explain/justify what boat I want or why I feel the need to optimize it. I shudder to think what type of boaters most of you have been dealing with if you have to emphasize training in charts, electronics, gps, docking, safety, going on a charter first, etc... They probably shouldn't even own a boat in the first place, in fact, you might want to supervise their bath time too. :lol:

I guess some people just love that "come sit on my knee and learn something" approach to advice. While I'm sure most of you are very nice folks, having someone repeat the same obvious, elementary points gets a tad old... especially when you never asked in the first place. If I do post again, I 'spose I'll keep it brief and to the point.

Thanks guys (I guess...), I'm out 8)

A

Anonymous

I would use/learn the boat and see what YOU would like to add/change or swap out. Everyones taste and needs are different. No sense in worrying about crap in the long run you will not even bother with. That is some boat, I was on it in a boat show up here in NY. Good Luck.

Pete

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't have the 360 I have the 330, but one suggestion I would make is make sure you have a reliable way to the pull the boat out of the water on your schedule for oil and lower unit changes. If you fish a lot this needs to be done several times a season.

The boat yards in my area did not allow do it yourself type of work so I ended up paying over 1,000 bucks every hundred hours for routine stuff and having to work around their schedule.

I ended up buying a trailer which has worked well for me. Of course I have a truck that will pull it. I bet you will love that boat and get the hang of it before you know it.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
KorrMuraan said:
>snip
1. It's kinda like politely waiting for your senile great grandfather to stop talking before you can ask him a specific question.

2. Maybe he can get a few straight answers without getting jumped.

3. I shudder to think what type of boaters most of you have been dealing with...

4. ...you might want to supervise their bath time too.

5. I'm out.

And from prior posts:

KorrMuraan said:
1. Seems you guys couldn't even figure that one out.

2. Forget it, I got nothing but a bunch of hot air, posturing, and patronizing answers from this forum

3. I'm done wasting time here.

4. later kids.

Hmmm... insult after insult after insult. In the internet world, this approach is called 'trolling', or being an 'internet troll'. Someone who comes to a forum not really interested in what people have to say, but to cast insults, blame the other forum members, and incite argument. EVERY post you made was full of insults and condescension.

The responses you got were based on what YOU posted. You didn't mention you ever boated, then after awhile you say you have a bass- boat. So what you got in reply was based on the information you did or did not convey. From what you did say, it doesn't appear that you will be buying a boat anytime soon. So the inquiry looks more and more like trolling every time you follow up.

I know, I don't know why I bother - #1 rule for trolls: DON'T FEED THE TROLLS. It's more in defense of the other forum members as your behavior on this forum is unacceptable.

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
KorrMuraan said:
tilewave said:

And how about this guy with his grand total of 8 posts.

JGH

Reaction score
This guy says he is "winning at life," so his judgment is not to be questioned. I for one think he should go for every conceivable customization of the rig.

KM -- Don't forget to upgrade the interior with stainless steel Viking appliances and a surround-sound entertainment system, both of which can be powered by solar panels on the hard-top. And put trolling motors on the trim tabs so you can get up on the flats. These are really must-haves.

Enjoy.

Daniel360

Reaction score
Just purchased a 360 and I am new to boating myself (this season). It's a great boat. I started this year with something small and moved up each month until I felt comfortable with the 360. Frankly, it's easier to handle the 360 (other than the 330 which I had for a month and loved it), but easier than a 26 or 22' I had for a month...I would get good gear, find a knowledgable captain, and get personal training. This method worked well for me. As far a the boat - it's like everything else in life, quality of time is more important than quantity, and knowing oneself is one element of success and happiness. Get it if you want it and take the time to know the boat, boating and what you want.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I congratulate you on your purchace of your 360, a tremendous boat which will give you many enjoyable hours on the water. I have no suggestions for you other than to pick a meaningful name for your craft and just enjoy the hell out of her! You are obviously intellegent enough to learn all you can about the boat and perhaps you might want to hire a captain to go out with you until you are perfectly comfortable with the craft. He should be familiar with your radar, GPS, etc, and show you how to optimize them for your use. I have a relatively small boat but I have equipped it for the way I use it and for my own personal taste. I have found that, as careful and safety concious as I am, there are many, many idiots out there that have no business on the water.

A friend has a Contender with twin 350's. He loves the engines but heeds the words of his marina technician......"Don't take the engine covers off yourself. That's MY job!"

Daniel360

Reaction score
The boat will be named after my late father who took me fishing many weekends as a kid. Now I am doing it with my children.

catch22

Reaction score
Mods?

This might give you a few ideas :lol:

boston_whaler_over_rigged.jpg

Bama96

Reaction score
KorrMuraan said:
:lol: wow, nevermind

The jackplate was an example and something I planned to put on my Puma FTD. I was attempting to nicely spoon feed you guys an example of a boat mod with helpful links because it seems you can't keep on topic. Seems you guys couldn't even figure that one out.

Forget it, I got nothing but a bunch of hot air, posturing, and patronizing answers from this forum :roll:

I was just hoping for a few helpful hints on addtions/mods to the boat. I'm done wasting time here. I can do more effective research on my own frankly.

later kids 8)

Actually the Bass Cat PUMA FTD comes standard with a manual 8" jackplate. :roll: Unless you are talking hydraulic than yes thats an option. I like the Detwiler Hydraulic better than the Bobs.

GWcpa

Reaction score
Have to follow up on Daniel360. I thought I was bad with a boat or 2 every year, but he moved up a new boat every month to the 360.

My kind of guy. :mrgreen:

How did you work this out?

Daniel360

Reaction score
I have an understanding wife... Practically speaking, I purchased all nicely used boats until I knew what I wanted. There are some great deals on used boats. The new 360 with trip-350 was something totally unexpected (like life) and was less scary moving from a 330. I believe now maybe the best time to get or upgrade to a Grady and there are wonderful deals out there. I feel fortunate that I waited (couple years) before diving into boating. However, it I had known how much fun boating is, I would have thrown caution into the wind and gotten involved much sooner. Grady do make great boat.