Thinking about buying a 97 Gulfstream. Need some Insight

REEL NAUTI

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 23 Gulfstream but nothing arose that was in my price range until now. A 1997 with twin Yamaha Saltwater Series II for 24K. I would like to know before going to have a look at it if there are any specific things I should be looking for on this model?? Anything that you GulfStream guys might know about certain areas of this boat that can be troublesome or anything I should look out for? Also if anyone has this same setup with the 2S yamahas....good combo for this boat? fuel burn? max speed?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

christo15

Reaction score
I had a 93' Gulfstream with a 99' 250 hp Yamaha 0SX66 and the boat was amazing. In the almost ten years I had it not a thing went wrong. The boat is agile and still takes big surf without a problem. I'd say your making an excellent choice. Just make sure that if the engines are 97s that you get compression testing and make sure they're running well because they are on the old side. Best of luck.

Finatic

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Gulfstream with twin 150 SWS II. This is a great boat and motor combination. The Gulfstream seems much larger than a 23' boat and has lots of cockpit space. Don't expect the 150 2 strokes to be great on fuel. On a typical offshore trip loaded down with gear, ice, crew, and 2 full tanks of fuel I typically get 1.3-1.7mpg while running 4000rpms (23-26mph). Good luck with the boat, it can do it all.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The SWSII motors are strong and reliable their only downside is a little less fuel economy at cruise (but thirsty when trolling) and getting them going on a cold November day. Once they get warm they always start right up.

striped bass

Reaction score
Ther seals on the hydraulic steering bar and the lift pistons wear out so have the surveyor check carefully. The cockpit floor panels rot after about ten years so have them ckecked out as well. You may notice some softness in the panels when you walk on them - that's the tell tail sign. A moisture meter test on the transom is mandatory. The 2s Yamahas of this vintage will probably need a thorough tune up - new 02 sensor, check the VST tank, timing etc etc.

Jas

Reaction score
I have a ’97 Gulfstream, going on my 5th season and love the boat. I have the single Yamaha 250 but generally the twin set up is the preferred configuration. Just make sure that you are satisfied with the engines or you now obviously have double the problems. Did the former owner run the engines with Yamalube and Ringfree? Regular maintenance? That would be important to me.

Also, if the previous owner hadn’t resealed the windows they have been known to leak. (Same with the forward hatch) A fairly easy fix but you should expect a pretty constant flow of projects and replacements like this with a boat this old.

’97 was the last year Grady used the plastic thru hulls. Most of mine had cracks and had to be replaced. I used stainless steel and they came out looking great. This is a significant and very difficult project, but a very important one.

Does the boat have an engine bracket? What kind of paint did they use? Lots of times they’ll just slap on the same bottom paint as the bracket, they shouldn’t. Look for blistering there and if there is evidence this may impact your decision or your negations.

Best of Luck!

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If they're '97 vintage I believe the motors are carbed, no 02 sensors or a bunch of other stuff the OX66's have. Very simple motors but, like other's have said, pretty thirsty. I would get a boat AND engine survey by a YAMAHA tech.

grady23

Reaction score
I have the '97 boat that your looking at --- NO O2 Sensors in the SW II engines. YES they are hungry and eat far more fuel then the 4-strokes or HPDI engines. I get about 1.7 MPG running both at about 28-29 on 1-2 Ft seas. These are GREAT boats and have as much cockpit space as a 28Ft Grady. The high gunnwalls give a fisherman and passengers very good security. Don't kid yourself -- This is a 1-night overnight boat. They are considered pocket cruisers . The sea handling capabilities are great also. Is this going to be a trailer boat? If so, Then you need a trailer with a GVW of at least 8.5 K. I have mine on a 7k trailer, but think it would be much better on the larger trailer. Minimum 15" wheels. 14's will get by but again the larger tires/wheels have a better load rating. As for the steering slave -- Leakage can happen in a boat of lesser years. This is just another item to check on ANY boat you are considering. I will assume that this twin setup is a counter-rotating setup. If not it's wrong to start with. You could however change one to a left hand rotation for about $1200-1300 with prop.

Last edited: