Thinking about moving up in size but to what...

tgr23

Reaction score
I have a 95 208 right now but I think we're ready to move up. We fish a ton but also have the wife would like to have a little more room for us to sleep on when we overnight, once or twice a year. I'm only interested in used. I'd like to keep this under 50k if possible.

One of my bigger questions is the fishing area. How big is the fishing deck on my 208? I've looked at some Journey's but it almost looks like the fishing deck is smaller. Quite often we have a 20 gallon freestanding live well on deck. I'm just wondering how the engines not mounted on the transom affect fishing off the back of the boat and the driving feel.

Not sure if I should be considering a single engine or two. Is having two primarily if one goes down?

I know this is not a scientific question I'm just looking for some opinions.

Thanks for all responses!
Travis

tgr23

Reaction score
No towing. Also we live in Brooklyn, NY and fish in Jamaica bay and out in the ocean, but not long runs far off shore.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I just upgraded to a 99 272 Sailfish from a 24 Offshore. Although I only had it out a few times at the end of the season I couldn't be happier. Your budget will probably depend on what you want for power, I was happy sticking with the OX66 since they have great reputations and I am familiar with them. Although it needs a few upgrades, such as electronics I found the boat local and for less than half of your budget, just the matter of being patient.

Good Luck!

1998sailfish

Reaction score
I second what Fire Medic said. Your specific needs fit well with a Sailfish. Plenty of cockpit area as well as range for your near shore needs. My last boat, ('98 272 Sailfish) made many trips to the north edge of "The Flats" due south of Montauk, which is 50 + miles offshore. The Sailfish cannot carry enough fuel to maintain a margin of safety when fishing the New England canyons but is great for near shore shark trips as well as school Bluefin Tuna....... The overnight accommodations are ok for occasional overnights. I found a 2000 Marlin 300 last year mid season for 41K. At 30' length at waterline and 10'6" beam it is a much different Animal than the 272. Larger fuel capacity and much heavier ,loaded contribute to the Marlin's noted solid ride. There are many deals out there. I say buy low and repower if you think its the boat you'll keep for 5+ years.