thinking about swapping a single to duals

dracer

Reaction score
Have a 87 242g Offshore with a 05 F250 yamaha full transom on a bracket that runs great. We have been venturing 20-30 miles offshore more frequently and have been thinking of selling the single and installing 2 F115 yamaha for more peace of mind. Any thoughts on weight, 605lbs for the single and 424lbs a piece so 848lbs for the pair. Also, 93gallon tank enough? In research it appears certain models came with two motors so im thinking it would be ok. Any thoughts.....

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When I had my 228G with a single, I repeatedly fished 30-40 miles offshore. The most common failure is bad fuel; with a single tank, you could have six engines and it wouldn't help. If the engine is healthy and well-maintained, you shouldn't have to worry (about the engine failure issue, anyway). I have two VHF radios and a PLB.

It seems you should have over 200 mile range with that combo, so 30-miles one way is well within your range.

On the twins. IMHO, you'll lose too much power/speed with your suggestion. Not only is it 20 less horsepower than you have now, AND more weight, but there's also double the drag in the water. My guess is you'd need twin F150s to equate to the same (and probably a bit more) power as you have now. The maneuverability with twins is also fantastic.

I love operating twins now, but if my only reason were duplicity while offshore, it wouldn't be enough for me.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
X2 what he said. Add a sat phone to your safety gear if you want to buy some extra security.
Nick