Thinking about upgrading to an E 90 wide

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I presently run 2 C-80's wired completely seperate with seperate antennas. each unit is seatalked to a seperate VHF. The port unit has the DSM 300 and Starboard unit has a smart heading sensor and radardome.

I plan on adding FLIR and need a video input which the C-80's don't have. So I'm thinking about removing 1 of the C-80's and installing an E-90 wide. I would like to keep my radar dome which is not digital and use the new E 90 mainly as a depth sounder and as a video input for FLIR. I think this would work best as I always run the GPS screen and doubt I would need the depth sounder while using FLIR.

I have a few questions,

1) Does anyone think I'm configuring this wrong? Keep in mind I am using 1 C-80 and 1 E-90 wide. So I can't nor do I want them tied together. And I will still use my old non digital radar.

2) Does the E series have better depth sounding capibilities then the Classic C series?

Thanks, Bob

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What about getting a 6" or 7" car monitor and use it for the flir camera and stick with what you have if you are happy with them, will be much, much cheaper and you always going to have a back up display if one of them goes.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
What about getting a 6" or 7" car monitor and use it for the flir camera and stick with what you have if you are happy with them, will be much, much cheaper and you always going to have a back up display if one of them goes.

I have thought about that setup but the 2004, 282 Sailfish dash is very small and I would have to either mount it on top of the dash or in the electronics box above. I already removed the double horizontal doors and flush monted the displays in Starboard which is what G W should have done in the first place. The 2005 dash is much taller which allows a 12" display or 2-10"s . Another thought was to hang a display under the over head box for better veiwing but then it's vunerable to preditors. LOL I'm looking for an uncluttered and useful location that whould be easily seen without taking the eyes away from the windshield area. I also want it flush mounted. I know it's fairly expensive, like 3 grand for a E 90 wide but the Flir is about 7 grand. I run at night alot to the Race and the Gut and leave for off shore before daylight and have never encountered any troubles other then clipping a lobster pot float but I've seen some really large stuff floating out there. Once this year I saw a huge section of a dock out by Gull Island and it got me thinking. It was really hard to see and radar probably would have spotted it but maybe not. If it was a little choppy then it would be invisible to radar. I was on a friends boat at that time or would have towed it in to shore. And now that Raymarine merged with FLIR, The e machines will fully control the camera. So there's some pluses to spending the extra money. I will also sell my C-80 and get a few bucks back.

Now back to my second question, Is the E series any better then the C Classic in the depth sounding mode?

Thanks, Bob

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well, if that is the case, on my 306 i had E80's and on my 330 had E120's. I was very happy with that set up, including radar, fishfinder and chart plotter. I listened to a lot of people saying that Garmin is a "better" plotter, so i went with 4212's on this boat. What i like better than the E series on the Garmin is the HD radar and that's it. The fishfinder is much better on the E series and the plotter i don't see any major difference.
If you decide to sell the C80, let me know, i might know someone looking for one.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
FIXED LOL I BOUGHT A NEW BOAT. 2009 283 RELEASE 8) :lol:

W/ Garmin 5212 and 18" HD Radar.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
Bob Coco said:
FIXED LOL I BOUGHT A NEW BOAT. 2009 283 RELEASE 8) :lol:

W/ Garmin 5212 and 18" HD Radar.

Congrats, :dance :dance :dance Did you get it from POE? I think they had one left over.
Pictures please :D :D :D :D

POE's is a 2008. I liked it but we couldn't come to terms on a price. I bought it from Port Harbor Marine in Portland, Maine. They made it worth the drive up there to look at it. I wish I knew how to post a picture on here.