Thinking Gulfstream

seasick

Reaction score
Hi folks!
As many of you are aware, I currently have a 2001 Adventure 208 which has and continues to serve me well. I also have a non Grady 25 foot walkaround with twin 150s.
I like the twin motors for maneuverability.
As I get a tad older, I am seriously thinking about selling both and getting a newer boat. My experience with the 208 confirms that is is a well made vessel and has held up well, better than my 2006 'OtherBoat'
At this time in my boating life, I probably don't want to go bigger, at least longer than the 25. I am seriously considering a later model Gulfstream 232. Other options are a couple of non Grady makes, Whaler or Pursuit.
I like the layout of the Gulfstream but wish it had a transom door. I am not sure that climbing over the aft fish box and livewell is something my wife and I want to do.
I am also torn between a single 300 or twin 150s or 200s.

I wish Grady had more options in the 24 to 29 foot range other than DCs. I need a head you can stand up in, a cabin or similar that you can get changed in, and a hefty hull that will roll less than my 208:)
Boating is exclusively short outings, near shore and no overnight.
So if you have any thoughts, chime in.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I had my 232 for 10 years.

Mine was a 2007 model with twin 200's. I prefer them over the 150's but will likely be harder to find.

Boat would cruise easily between 30-33 MPH. Revved between 3600 and 4100 RPM, attaining 1.9-2.0 MPG
(My son owns the boat now, he removed the bottom paint I had on it and it now achieves 2.0-2.1 all day long at the same cruise speeds.)

Because of the 9' 3" beam-to-length, I would not want one with a single. Unless it's a 300, it would be underpowered and horsing it around a dock will not be pleasant in any kind of wind and/or current.

it rides tolerably well. For a 23, it's a fabulous compromise. It handles and acts like a much bigger boat and does not pitch and roll like a boat with a narrower beam would. Downside to that is it slaps you in a quartering or head sea 2 feet and over.
(EX: I have a friend who owned a 258 Journey and that boat rode better than my 232.)

With overnighting out of the picture, the cabin will give you plenty of storage and there's a head option underneath the stbd side cushions forward. It is a stand-up cabin unless you are as tall as Lebron.

I assume you will not trailer it. We trailered ours..I can give you the specs for hauling it around if you want.

As far as scooting over the aft livewell to the transom, you'll work that one out. I just sat on it, swung my legs around and that was it.

YOu will appreciate the 9' 3" beam when moving around the helm & cockpit. it really makes a difference in comfort & convenience.

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback. Good to know that getting to the swim platform is not too difficult. I will also take another look at the 258.

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I had a 1993 208 for almost 20 years. I loved it. I fish along the Southern California coast and Catalina Island so most of the time is on the 'up to 40 miles' offshore. Picking the weather, that boat was terrific. I repowered with a Etech 200hp and the fuel efficiency gain was great, too.
As I am getting older, and liking the larger cockpit, I looked at different GW models and moved up to the 2004 GW Gulfstream 232. I repowered to two 200hp Yamahas (had one of the previous 200's needed a rebuild). It works great. I like the wider beam, larger cockpit, the additional weight is good when I have a couple 'regular size' guys when on drifting or anchor for less pitchpoling. I think twins is helpful in maneuvering vs a single. The 4-line 200's are 100 pounds lighter each than the previous which is a good think that I hadn't considered prior. It does slap sometimes more than I remember with my 208, but some of it is that the 232 can move along faster in the same sea conditions that my 208 could not. It is a big boat on the trailer and is wider than the 208 (in fact is 9'3", noticably wider towing). Usually take day trips, but recently my wife and I spent a two nights on it, and is fun. While the lack of a transom would be great, not sure what could be done about it on this model.
All in all, I think it is a great compromise from big boat feel, in a 23' boat.
Happy boat searching!
Take care.
Len

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had a Gulfstream with a F225. Many have said they though it was underpowered but I never had an issue with 4 guys, ice and fishing gear. The twins would be nice and the 300 certainly would add more power tha the F225. I was always impressed at how stable the Gulfstream was and I never ran into any sea conditions the she could not handle. Either way a great boat choice.

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks to all your responses. I like the fact that the hull is heavy for it's length and hopefully a bit more stable due to it's beam. Although a single 300 would be less maintenance, I feel strongly that twins would be a better option for maneuverability.
The problem is that there aren't a lot of choices for later year models with twins. I am going to get my plan and schedule together. What I don't need right now is a third boat! So I need think about selling the other ones and potentially have no boat for a period! I will have to work on my surf casting gear.

Trout Poison

Reaction score
FWIW - I know its not a grady, but my search resulted in me owning a Pursuit 235 offshore. At just shy of 23' in length, it weighs a hair over 5000 lbs and I am very pleased with its ride. The overall lower profile makes for a very nice platform regarding excessive pitch and roll. A single Yamaha 250 handles it quite comfortably. I have been quite pleased with it so far.

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Hi folks!
As many of you are aware, I currently have a 2001 Adventure 208 which has and continues to serve me well. I also have a non Grady 25 foot walkaround with twin 150s.
As I get a tad older, I am seriously thinking about selling both and getting a newer boat. My experience with the 208 confirms that is is a well made vessel and has held up well, better than my 2006 'OtherBoat'
At this time in my boating life, I probably don't want to go bigger, at least longer than the 25. I am seriously considering a later model Gulfstream 232. Other options are a couple of non Grady makes, Whaler or Pursuit.
I like the layout of the Gulfstream but wish it had a transom door. I am not sure that climbing over the aft fish box and livewell is something my wife and I want to do.

I wish Grady had more options in the 24 to 29 foot range other than DCs. I need a head you can stand up in, a cabin or similar that you can get changed in, and a hefty hull that will roll less than my 208:)
I have owned 3 Grady’s and 4 SeaRay’s over the past 30yrs presently a 305 Express Grady. And by far this is my favorite and in my opinion as far as production boats go I love the Grady. With that said a friend of mine owns a 28’ Pursuit walkaround with a very nice cabin to change in, use the head and some extra storage. With a transom door and twin 250’s . Very nice boat, easy to handle and well made. Maybe just another thought

seasick

Reaction score
There are many opinions on a 305 versus a Marlin. I am familiar with the Marlin but it is probably more boat than I need. I am familiar also with the Off Shore Pursuit model in the 30 foot range. The first time I saw one at the NY boat show, I was quite impressed with the layout. That was a 305 I think but now called a 315 (maybe?). Probably too big again for me at this time.
On a financial note, I think I prefer a smaller newer boat over a bigger older one realizing that I do have a 'budget' I have done all my own maintenance on both my boats but it is becoming harder and harder every season. I would like to get a few seasons of not having to replace switches, pumps, latches, hinges, wire and cable, seals, hoses, thruhulls...you know what I mean.
I do appreciate all the info and suggestions. I suspect this project will be ongoing for a while.

Reactions: Grady fun 5

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
There are many opinions on a 305 versus a Marlin. I am familiar with the Marlin but it is probably more boat than I need. I am familiar also with the Off Shore Pursuit model in the 30 foot range. The first time I saw one at the NY boat show, I was quite impressed with the layout. That was a 305 I think but now called a 315 (maybe?). Probably too big again for me at this time.
On a financial note, I think I prefer a smaller newer boat over a bigger older one realizing that I do have a 'budget' I have done all my own maintenance on both my boats but it is becoming harder and harder every season. I would like to get a few seasons of not having to replace switches, pumps, latches, hinges, wire and cable, seals, hoses, thruhulls...you know what I mean.
I do appreciate all the info and suggestions. I suspect this project will be ongoing for a while.
Very Best Of Luck To You
And I quit familiar with what your saying about maintenance. I’m also for sure not getting any younger and my Boat I bought new in 2012, so it’s still fairly easy to keep in good order. Again Best

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I sold my 272 Sailfish this year and we are considering a Gulfstream for a few years before we move into a newer Sailfish or a Marlin. A Marlin came for sale local for a great price and we just missed out on it, but its more boat than we need right now so probably for the best (I'm telling myself that).

Last weekend we looked at an Islander, Gulfstream, and a Marlin, I can say we liked the Gulfstream over the Islander. Similar in deck space and cockpit to the Sailfish, less cabin. We did notice you have to duck your head into the cabin of the Gulfstream, but we didn't see that being an issue since it will mainly be for changing and the kids.

We are still on the hunt, but unless another great priced Sailfish or Marlin surface I think the next boat will be a Gulfstream should we be able to find one in the budget.

alan campbell

Reaction score
Hi folks!

i

alan campbell

Reaction score
I run a 24'Offshore/hardtop with a single 300 Evinrude Etec. It runs wonderfully. Top speed with the hardtop, trimmed out around 46-47mph. I love the single engine concept. Everything simpler. The 24 and 23' boats are maxed out at 300hp i'm pretty positive. We fish offshore a lotout of Ft. Pierce Inclet and use the boat in the Keys. Owned since 2009

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Is the 232 Gulfstream going to ride better than the 228 Seafarer? I'm currently looking for 228 Seafarers but it seems like there are considerably more 232's than there are 228's. I don't mind the 232 but the cabin layout seems funky to me with the bunkbed style sleeping as well as the raised cockpit floor. That and having a wider beam and basically needing twins seems to make me want to lean toward the 228 Seafarer, especially with it having a 2' offshore bracket on it. My biggest question though is ride? I've heard the SeaV2 hull is fantastic and rides very smoothly. Is the 232 going to handle better than the 228?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Is the 232 Gulfstream going to ride better than the 228 Seafarer? I'm currently looking for 228 Seafarers but it seems like there are considerably more 232's than there are 228's. I don't mind the 232 but the cabin layout seems funky to me with the bunkbed style sleeping as well as the raised cockpit floor. That and having a wider beam and basically needing twins seems to make me want to lean toward the 228 Seafarer, especially with it having a 2' offshore bracket on it. My biggest question though is ride? I've heard the SeaV2 hull is fantastic and rides very smoothly. Is the 232 going to handle better than the 228?

Yes it will.

I have owned both, so I can definitively say the 232 is a better riding boat. I would not characterize it as a "night and day" difference, but it is obviously a better and smoother ride. I noticed it immediately the first time I took my 232 into Lake Erie around the Islands on it's Western End, where the seas are confused and rolling much of the time.

Since there are many of both models out there, I would suggest a test ride on both in, hopefully, similar sea conditions so an accurate judgment can be made. That way, you can decide if the things about the 232 that bug you are worth the trade off in a rougher ride.

Remember too, that the Gulfstream 232 will (legally) need permits to tow if that's in your picture. If so, realize it will be considerably larger and heavier than the Seafarer on a trailer. I'll give you numbers if towing is in your plans.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
232 is a tank. the wide beam makes a big difference in ride and cockpit space. I had one for a few seasons and would definitely consider another if I were to switch back to a smaller boat from the Marlin. I do prefer the older layout with the seat built-in rather than the big fish box which takes up too much space. You can get a lot of fish into the in-floor hold on the older 232's.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Remember too, that the Gulfstream 232 will (legally) need permits to tow if that's in your picture. If so, realize it will be considerably larger and heavier than the Seafarer on a trailer. I'll give you numbers if towing is in your plans.

Thanks for the reply, that was definitely another part of the equation. My uncle previously had a 26' Bayliner that was around 30' overall and was a rather large boat to trailer, but it could definitely be done. It could also be fished solo but was a bit of work to do so. I like the 232 but think it's a little big to fish when you're by yourself. And yes, trailering that wide of a boat definitely takes some skill and concentration as it's a larger boat. I think I'm leaning towards the 228 and will likely go with it unless a great deal comes up on a 232. My parents and I have a beach cabin on Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound and think a 232 would be a bit of overkill for what we'd need the boat for. My previous boat that I just sold is a 21' Arima and with it having a modified vee it definitely pounds quite a bit in the chop and am looking for something a bit smoother and more comfortable.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I trailered my Gulfstream from Cape Cod to Maine with a Toyota Tundra. Never an issue. MOST do not get special permits for a 23' Gulfstream.

seasick

Reaction score
Trailering is not a requirement and I understand the permit issues. I would use a trailer purely for the storage season.

Fishtales

Reaction score
i really like the gulf with the twins on it. the lack of a transom door is a zonk but not a big one. the extra beam is the ticket. nice cockpit.