Thinking of buying a Seafarer 226

bigk23surf

Reaction score
Just found this site and it is giving me some good info. Got a question on a boat Im looking at. Its a 1994 Seafarer 226 with a hardtop and canvans enclosure with a 2004 Yamaha 225 four stroke with 250 hours on it. Boat looks to be in good shape and Im taking it out for a sea test this weekend. What should I look for? I have heard about the 4 strokes being heavy and I plan on adding a 9.9 kicker, do I need to worry about that? Also I have him talked down to 17K for it, it needs a new trailer but do you think thats a good price?

Thanks, Mike.

Brad1

Reaction score
Check the thru hull fittings and all attached plumbing. Check the fuel system. Check the wiring. Look for water in the transom. Better yet, get it surveyed. I have an '03 Sea Farer with that same motor. With that motor, the transom fittings for the floor drains (scuppers) sit about 1/2 under water. That's with full tank of fuel, all accessories, full coolers, and two marine batteries in the rear. I would imagine it would be the same on that 1994 with that same motor on it. It's one thing I don't like, but I trailer my boat so I can live with it. Adding a kicker will make it more pronounced. That's about my only peeve with the boat. Otherwise, I am very happy with it. As far as the price goes, I would think it's a decent price given the motor.

choogenboom

Reaction score
1994 seafarer

I just sold a 1994 228G seafarer for $18k+ with original 1994 250 Yamaha and no trailer so I would say you are getting a great deal given the newer 4 stroke power. My boat had no deferred maintenance, hence I got a good price.

With the 583 lbs of the F225 + a 9.9 kicker you will have to worry about the scuppers sitting below the water line - especially if the boat does not have the optional reserve fuel tank. The reserve tank adds 50 gallons of fuel as forward ballast. Not sure why you want the kicker, but guessing for "get home insurance"? I went through the same thought process when I felt my 1994 engine might be getting unreliable and concluded that a good VHF ($200) + boatus unlimited towing($100/year) + a good anchor was my best solution.

Definitely replace the thru hulls if they have not already been replaced - the original equipment nylon thru hulls will crack and fail due to UV damage. I replaced mine in 2007 and at least two of them were cracked and leaking at that time. I replaced them with Stainless thru hulls (made by Atwood, purchased from starboardsupply.com I think) which seem like they will never fail. Note that I did not need to replace the scupper thru hulls as they were painted and below the water line and had no UV damage. Make sure to bed the new thru hulls in plenty of 5200 caulk.

I also had to replace both fuel senders, probably due to enthanol. Go to wema-usa web site to get replacements, dont forget to order gaskets.

Control cables, if not replaced when the engine was replaced, will likely be at or near end of life. New yamaha OEM cables can be ordered from boats.net.

The raw water seacock is controlled by a push/pull rod that has a ball joint on the end. GW, on all their boats with seacocks, stupidly used a steel ball joint which fails (rusts out) in less than 4 years - who puts a critical mechanical component made from steel in a boat's bilge? I don't even think Bayliner would do that! A marine quality stainless steel replacement can be found here for about $10. http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.asp?se ... 4164211967

Its a great boat and at that price, even if you have to make the repairs above, you are getting a more than fair deal.

good luck!

Brad1

Reaction score
I should mentioned in my previous post that I slow troll all day long on Lake Erie with my 2003 F225. It's a great motor for slow trolling. Just run some Sea Foam through it every now and then. It's as quiet and smooth as an engine could possibly be.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you are going for a sea trial and concerned with water backing up on deck due to kicker, etc, either bring more people with you, have them stay at the stern, or if not practical, here's a cost free way to do it, go to Home Depot and get 50 lb bags of playsand in the clear bag, get 3 or 4 bags, place at stern deck on side you intend to locate kicker. See what happens on the drift, Hope the tank is full too and water is other than flat, then when done, take bags back to depot for your 20 buck refund

If bad back, cut open and dump over side.

Stupid yes,

Effective ?

GT

Reaction score
The price seems very, very reasonable for that set up. I havent been in the market for a while but its cheaper than what i paid for my 1992 seafarer with a 1998 motor.

Get a survery done, its money well spent. Don't want to steer you wrong, but with such a good price I'd make sure the owner isnt trying to get rid of a headache.
Good luck!

bigk23surf

Reaction score
Im going to look at it tomorrow. I think the guy just needs to get rid of it. Its getting ready to be winter and with the economy going south I think he wants to unload it. Any ideas on how to check the transom for water?

catch22

Reaction score
bigk23surf said:
Im going to look at it tomorrow. I think the guy just needs to get rid of it. Its getting ready to be winter and with the economy going south I think he wants to unload it. Any ideas on how to check the transom for water?

The right way is with a moisture meter, again.... surveyor. Definitely worth having one done... piece of mind.
Here's a half-assed method :lol: , but better than nothing;
If the boat's in a slip, you can hang over the side, and using a screw driver handle, or something similar, (even your knuckels)... you can gently tap/knock on the transom, anywhere you can reach. Closely check out where the engine is mounted and anything else, (swim platform). You should get a hard, relatively high pitched sound. if you get a low dull sound, (thud), or dramatic change in pitch... might be trouble. It's kind of like finding a stud.
If it's on a trailer, you can check around everything, transducers, trim tabs, etc.
Also, check out the top of the transom. Grady uses an aluminum dress plate that is notorious for water intrusion. That plate should be thorughly sealed, something that unfortunately gets over looked. As your tapping on the transom, work your way up toward the plate and listen for a change in pitch.
I didn't read every reply, so if it hasen't been mentioned, try to thoroughly check out the deck. Walk around every square inch of it and look for soft spots. The large deck plates that cover the fuel tank,(s) are again, notorious for water intrusion. I think it usually starts around the inspection plates.
I also agree.... 17k is a very good deal. Especially considering the 04, 4 stroke.... nice.
Good luck.

alantani

Reaction score
a good friend of mine has a boat with this exact configuration. he opted against a kicker, believing that the 4 stroke yamaha was reliable enough. if i had not gotten the 258, the 22 footer would have been my next choice. alan

bigk23surf

Reaction score
I picked the boat up yesterday. Final price was 16,500. Looking to get a new trailer and new canvas. Any ideas where to get new canvas at a good price? Also how can I get the painted name off the side?

boat.6596277.jpg

jehines3

Reaction score
What's wrong with the trailer the boat is sitting on? I'd rebuild it the right way rather than buy a piece of junk new one. Do you plan to trailer the boat all the time or just winter store on it? jh