Thinking of getting a Honda EU2000i

christo15

Reaction score
I've wanted a generator for my 282 sailfish but wondering how you hook it up. I already have the shore power adapter that converts it to a regular power cord. Do you just plug that into the generator and it's as if your on shore power? Thanks!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yes and I think that is a smart move. You can leverage the generator in other uses when not on the boat....

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Since the cabin is much lower than the cockpit, be aware that CO is many times heavier than air so it tehds to find the cabin.

You may want to ask others where they located the Honda generator when running. And mounting a CO monitor/alarm in cabin is a good idea.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The safest place i would think is outside the transom and make sure no wind is blowing towards the cabin.
As far as the cable, you can rig one with a male 15 or 20 AMP plug to connect to the Honda and a female round 20 AMP or what ever you have now for the boat side.
That is the safest way to do this because you can't be on shore and generator power at the same time.

Just thought of this, there is an adapter to convert you existing shore power male end to a regular 15 AMP male plug.

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-Locking-A ... mp+adapter

Slacktime

Reaction score
Take a look at the Ryobi 2000 inverter generator. Half the price of the Honda and works well on a 300 Marlin. CO detector is a must in the cabin and it rune well on the swim platform secured by a safety line. I bought mine in Home Depot.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a Honda on my Sailfish. It connects to the shore power by using an adaptor that connect from your ca ble and plugs into the generator. The Honda costs more but I ha ve found it to be extremely reliable and very quiet. I bring it home during hurricanes and noreasters and it has kept me in lights and cold
Beer during many outages for up to a week. I usually strap it to the transom platform unless it is to rough. If its rough I bring it in and strap it to the stern seat, never any issues

eppem

Reaction score
Ditto to the above post - you get what you pay for. I bought mine for my 265 Express and never looked back. Have used for power in the canyons, for blending drinks in the islands, tailgating, around the yard (instead of lugging an extension cord) and of course for keeping the fridge and a few lites on after the annual 100 year storm we seem to get now in CT.

I will start it about once a month regardless, check / change the oil as needed..very quiet, reliable and a workhorse for its size.

I have read about guys who strap to transom, bow etc. When used for short bursts (making drinks) I dont think it matters where you run it. I have ran mine in my cockpit while offshore but we run it for an hour or so at a time, turn it away from the wind and the shut it off. If I was to run it all nite I would strap it to my bow...

Good luck!

christo15

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the help guys.
I think I'm going for the Honda EU2000i and will be using it on our first ever trip to block island this upcoming season and on our trips to Long Island.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
Since the cabin is much lower than the cockpit, be aware that CO is many times heavier than air so it tehds to find the cabin.

Not to nit pick, but CO is actually slightly less dense than air, but nevertheless, it's dangerous stuff and it will easily mix with air and get into cabins...

Bill_N

Reaction score
I have a Honda 2000 also that I use on my 265 and at home whenever we have outages. It will run all night on a single tank, keep your batteries charged, lights running etc. I strap it on the bow in back of the pulpit if we're offshore. We stayed at Block for a long weekend and I put it on the swim platform in the harbor but it's too close to the water there if you get any kind of wave action. I put over 100 hours on it in the last 2 years. Overall, they work great!

downtown

Reaction score
Check Mayberrys or Wise Sales They'll ship right to your door for a great price.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The relationship of CO2 to breathing air I stated is technically incorrect. Had to look into it myself, sometime in the past I must have acquired it. Perhaps about crawling on the floor staying low in a fire, but I don't think so.

Whatever, I'm sure it will come to me, just takes a while longer these days.
Seems the internet has others saying the same too. Compounded further by the CO2 being hot in the exhaust. I'm still not settled on it.

Thank you Max366

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Check that; CO, not CO2

Must be the cold weather up here thinking of ice, the dry kind!

ahill

Reaction score
CO vs O2
For what its worth see this link,
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/c ... m03364.htm

I've been running a 2000EUI on my Sailfish since 2006.
Sits on aft platform stbd. when in use. I fabricated a mm canvas shroud for it which keeps it dry and reduces sound a bit.
I also put 2 starboard L's on the platform to keep it from walking, still tie it to the stern cleat.
Have the Duration tank and love it.
As long as you are swinging at anchor I wouldn't worry too much about CO as the wind will be on your bow. If you are docked and the wind is on any 1/4 other than bow i would be concerned. Also putting the gen on the bow or hardtop the station wagon effect could really cause problems.
I have a CO detector in the cabin slightly above the bunks on the head bulkhead.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
The relationship of CO2 to breathing air I stated is technically incorrect. Had to look into it myself, sometime in the past I must have acquired it. Perhaps about crawling on the floor staying low in a fire, but I don't think so.

Whatever, I'm sure it will come to me, just takes a while longer these days.
Seems the internet has others saying the same too. Compounded further by the CO2 being hot in the exhaust. I'm still not settled on it.

Thank you Max366

I'm missing something Bob. Are you saying CO is NOT heavier that air?? I never knew that and is a real concern if NOT at anchor (city piers).

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
CO has a specific gravity of 0.966 (compared to air) so it's just slightly less dense than air.