Thinking of Getting Back in the Game

Enough Already

Reaction score
Sold my 2001 265 Express about a year ago for good money. Just needed a break, boat was getting old and just wasn't using it enough. Starting to get the bug again and thinking a little smaller and lighter to get on a trailer. Liking the 257 Advance with twin 150s in the 2006 range. Any major topics to help me get my head back in the game, much appreciated. Ex: any known issues/concerns with that model? What about the 4-strokes in that range model year - heard about the corrosion thing - what's the scoop? Definitely want the twins and 4-strokes. Other options? I have the towing capacity and definitely thinking CC (never used the 265 cabin); mainly for fishing and random cruising & runs to Bimini. Any recommendations and comments welcome.

girt

Reaction score
Enough Already,
I was in the same "boat" literally. I had a 272, then a 265. I sold the 265 last year and now have a 232 Gulfstream which I really like. I like the 257 as well but the wife wanted a larger cockpit and a cabin for storage.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I too have a Gulfstream and love it, but from your wish list I don't think it's your boat.

1.) It has a cabin, which you would rather do without.

2.) The beam is 9' 3", making it illegal to tow without a permit and you mentioned you are capable of moving it around..

3.) You would be limited in your available days to make Bahama runs. The Gulfstream is a capable boat, but realistically anything over 10kts and 2 footers would make for an uncomfortable passage. (If there's a wide-spaced groundswell, it's a different story.) Plus any wind out of the N or NE making up seas counter to the Stream is a crappy bill of goods, especially in a 23 foot boat. Remember, you had a 265 Express; that's a much bigger rig.

A CC from 25' up would be my choice for your ownership needs/wants, and keeping the beam at 8' 6" lets you tow it legally. I'm not sure what the cutoff point for the 8' 6" beam is in the Grady lineup.