Thinking of selling my 228

Norcoastal

Reaction score
Just spent 2 years restoring my Seafarer 228 and repowered with a 2023 Mercury 4-stroke that has less than 20 hours on it and a 6 year warranty.

All new rigging, steering, stereo and radio. Everything works.

Is there a market for a boat that’s 35 years old?

Attachments

• IMG_6730.jpeg
    IMG_6730.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6578.jpeg
    IMG_6578.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Unfortunately what you are going to be up against is the age and the new engine. Repowering an old hull is almost always a financial loss. The market is still good, just not the inferno it has been for the past 4 years. You will need to find a buyer who appreciates what they are buying. The age and price point will be outside the norm for that boat. That said, there's an ass for every seat if it is priced right and marketed well.
The loss will be a hard pill to swallow, but it's way less than the tax and depreciation on a new boat.

Tharrison

Reaction score
I've had a discouraging experience looking at over 20 year old boats. I'm sure this is the case with many others. Last 208 I looked at first listed 44k, then 38k, then 30k, so I went to look. Repowered, so I was very interested. I know nothing about boats, but when the transom plywood has expanded and broken thru the cap I was astounded the broker never mentioned it! So I think old boat buyers can get very discouraged quickly. BTW not the one listed on this site.

Norcoastal

Reaction score
Yeah, I’ll probably just keep it. Thanks for the reply’s

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's my take on the matter... I think a repower will definitely help out some, but I can't imagine you're going to get much more than what you paid for the repower, if that makes sense? An 35 year old hull in my opinion isn't going to be worth very much money, if any at all. I think the only way you'll recover or break even is to list it for close to what the repower cost you, or unfortunately maybe even less if you don't have anyone bite. Which to me means that you're likely talking about the $25k range, at the absolute most. Of which if you just spent the last two years restoring the boat as well as repowering it, then I'm assuming you're likely going to be upside down on it and it's going to make more sense to hold onto the boat at this point. That reason alone is exactly why I went with a newer model of 228 Seafarer as I'm a firm believer to buy as new as you can possibly afford.

Norcoastal

Reaction score
Here's my take on the matter... I think a repower will definitely help out some, but I can't imagine you're going to get much more than what you paid for the repower, if that makes sense? An 35 year old hull in my opinion isn't going to be worth very much money, if any at all. I think the only way you'll recover or break even is to list it for close to what the repower cost you, or unfortunately maybe even less if you don't have anyone bite. Which to me means that you're likely talking about the $25k range, at the absolute most. Of which if you just spent the last two years restoring the boat as well as repowering it, then I'm assuming you're likely going to be upside down on it and it's going to make more sense to hold onto the boat at this point. That reason alone is exactly why I went with a newer model of 228 Seafarer as I'm a firm believer to buy as new as you can possibly afford.
I agree. Maybe I’ll keep my eye out for a newer boat that needs repowering. It runs great and looks much newer as I’ve redone everything. But no matter how updated it is, you’re right, the hull is still 35 years old.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yeah, I’ll probably just keep it. Thanks for the reply’s
Don't let us discourage you. There is no harm in trying to sell it for what you want. I heard of a guy who paid over $100k for a 270 a few years ago. That was about double the going rate. I'm not sure what the boat had that made it so desirable, but he had to have it.
Your boat looks amazing for it's age. If the boat is 100% turnkey and rehabbed properly - that all helps. The worst thing that can happen is you turn down some offers.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree. Maybe I’ll keep my eye out for a newer boat that needs repowering. It runs great and looks much newer as I’ve redone everything. But no matter how updated it is, you’re right, the hull is still 35 years old.
I mean there's definitely no harm in posting a Craigslist or other similar ad for the boat. That being said, I don't imagine you're going to get anywhere near the price you'll want to get, or how much you've got total into the boat. I have been wrong before though, so again it doesn't hurt to try and list the boat to see if you get any bites. Though, during almost mid November almost December, I think it'll be a bit less than say if you listed the boat next spring/early summer. Which is likely what I'd try doing if I were you, as well as look for a replacement boat during the wintertime, as prices are generally going to be a bit lower than during the spring/summer. Either way, best of luck with whatever you decide on doing.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don’t know what you have in mind for your next boat, let’s say a 20 year old boat. Rather than looking for a boat needing a re-power, you might consider looking for a 20 year old boat with a good running original engine, or an older re-power, hopefully a four stroke in either case. Put that engine on your 35-year-old boat, your new mercury on your newer hull, and how do the numbers work out then?
If you need to sell your old boat before you make a move on a newer boat, that option is off the table.

Captglasshole

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
While not completely an apples to apples comparison, I'll chime in. I just bought a 1988 242G with a 2019 Suzuki 250 with 180 hours, with a road ready trailer for $13k. Granted there are some things that need addressed, but nothing I can't tackle myself as of yet. With your engine being a bit newer with lower hours, and hull in good shape, I'd say this time of year, you would be in the $18-23k range.

Reactions: PointedRose