This banana curse is real!

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Went out yesterday for a good long day on the water. Had a pretty good time but not so much this morning as I wash it down on the trailer :(
First I find log scratches and a gouge on the hull. I had fenders out and asked my wife and grown daughters to watch it at the dock while I went to dunk the trailer. It was loosely tied with one line at the spring cleat. When I got back I found they tied it tight from all three cleats tight against the dock. :rolleyes:
That accounts for the gouges.
Next I’m cleaning the deck and everything touched buy one of my girls is orange!
It’s all over. I broke out the buffer and it’s helping but I don’t want to remove the gel coat to remove the stains.
What can I wipe this away with???
We’ve used “Banana boat” (here’s the curse) in the white tube for years with no issues but one of my girls used a different one from banana boat in an orange tube. They both come out white though, I don’t get it???
There’s one other thing, she’s been on a health food kick drinking a lot of carrot juice. Is it possible she sweat it out?
This is nuts !
To make it complete I raise the Bimini top to wash the salt off and I find a tear in it !
:confused: Perfect. How, when?
3CE61F72-5DC8-49AB-871C-CB8A29DB50AA.jpeg2527F70E-9C61-4292-95B2-B4668DA8A5B1.jpeg0DE6F72D-88B0-4849-9C8E-85334BAE7FDE.jpeg9B3BF188-CDB8-44D3-9907-8FC47976EF39.jpeg54E6CF02-8345-4812-9DE4-2C101F1AD7FE.jpeg

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I put a dab from each tube on the gel coat and am letting it sit to see what happens. If one turns orange I’ll know. If neither, it’s that carrot juice theory and if so that’s crazy.
Either way what can I use to remove the stains???

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
try some softscrub Mike?
I did try soft scrub and then comet.
When my head cleared I reasoned that carrot and sweat is organic so l put straight bleach in a spray bottle. Sprayed it on and and let it do it’s thing. The bleach did the trick.
It’s kinda funny now but it looked like a child finger painted the boat with orange paint. Handprints, leg prints, butt prints, and they weren’t coming up.

PS - neither dab of suntan lotions I put on the boat made a stain in the gelcoat.

Last edited:

Caburke1

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
For me, after a long day of fishing with the family, the hardest part is cleaning all the sunscreen off the boat. The best thing to remove the orange stain is time. If the boat sits in the sun, just wash it the best you can and the orange stain will get burned off in a week or so.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Jimmy Buffet would use a cheeseburger in Paradise to solve that carrot juice overdose stuff.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can get the orange stains from sunblocks containing avobenzene, which is most sunblocks unfortunately. Some of my seats have a tinge that is slowly fading over time. I have anyone going on the boat apply the sunblock on the shore and let it dry,which seems to help.
It sounds like your issue is carrot related but others might benefit from watching for avobenzene!

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was jinxed by this post as I was thinking that nobody on my boat would drink carrot juice. However, after taking my niece and nephew out, I had light orange leg stains at the stern.

Luckily, a little 3M color restorer and wax got it out easily. Took no effort at all

....I will be following the same advice in the future and make sure it’s dried before coming on the boat.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Ou
You can get the orange stains from sunblocks containing avobenzene, which is most sunblocks unfortunately. Some of my seats have a tinge that is slowly fading over time. I have anyone going on the boat apply the sunblock on the shore and let it dry,which seems to help.
It sounds like your issue is carrot related but others might benefit from watching for avobenzene!

reef friendly sunscreens do not have the avobenze in them. we tried some out recently in the Keys. They have titanium dioxide in them . it won't hurt your boat too!