This boat is killin me!!

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Not really. Just the process of working out the bugs in a new to me boat.

Last Sunday shake down run. Everything was great ran horribly at first but smoothed right out after a few minutes. It has sat for about a year. Ran approx 55 miles. Half way back oil alarm..... oh shit. Stopped found a protected cove to anchor and pull the cowl off. oil tank on engine almost empty..... check resv. almost empty. topped off resv. and flipped fill toggle on engine. nothing. no big deal. filled tank on engine and ran home. 55 miles. total burn 44 gallons ouch!
Yesterday get up early. replace the oil pump and filter. hit toggle, nothing. disconnected oil line, hit toggle nothing. shit. Dump out 3 gallons of brand new oil.... chunky... all kinds of crude in the tank. Empty tank 1 gallon at a time. walking to the oil disposal. Finally get it clean and rinsed out with some acetone. Get to checking fuel gauge (inop) Switch is bad, by pass switch.... perfect.... fuel gauge is working. Acetone has evaporated, Tank is dry. Fill it up and reassemble. Hit toggle, engine tank fills. Pull out of the marina.... engine running great. Half way thru trip. Drop 600 rpms from WOT. Was 6K now cant get past 5400.... Hmmm drop about 8-10mph off top speed. Drop back to cruising speed idle is up and down 3-400 rpms. Im guessing o2 sensor it likely gummed up with carbon. Maybe oil adjustment out of spec. Really unsure. I can smell it is running very rich.... All visible filters look good, no water. no crude. Going to have the marina pull the boat and have their guy look at it. Have a 3 day weekend planned on the boat next weekend and don't have time to mess with it.

The joys of owning a boat!!! ;)

Reactions: TigerPaws

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Not really. Just the process of working out the bugs in a new to me boat.

Last Sunday shake down run. Everything was great ran horribly at first but smoothed right out after a few minutes. It has sat for about a year. Ran approx 55 miles. Half way back oil alarm..... oh shit. Stopped found a protected cove to anchor and pull the cowl off. oil tank on engine almost empty..... check resv. almost empty. topped off resv. and flipped fill toggle on engine. nothing. no big deal. filled tank on engine and ran home. 55 miles. total burn 44 gallons ouch!
Yesterday get up early. replace the oil pump and filter. hit toggle, nothing. disconnected oil line, hit toggle nothing. shit. Dump out 3 gallons of brand new oil.... chunky... all kinds of crude in the tank. Empty tank 1 gallon at a time. walking to the oil disposal. Finally get it clean and rinsed out with some acetone. Get to checking fuel gauge (inop) Switch is bad, by pass switch.... perfect.... fuel gauge is working. Acetone has evaporated, Tank is dry. Fill it up and reassemble. Hit toggle, engine tank fills. Pull out of the marina.... engine running great. Half way thru trip. Drop 600 rpms from WOT. Was 6K now cant get past 5400.... Hmmm drop about 8-10mph off top speed. Drop back to cruising speed idle is up and down 3-400 rpms. Im guessing o2 sensor it likely gummed up with carbon. Maybe oil adjustment out of spec. Really unsure. I can smell it is running very rich.... All visible filters look good, no water. no crude. Going to have the marina pull the boat and have their guy look at it. Have a 3 day weekend planned on the boat next weekend and don't have time to mess with it.

The joys of owning a boat!!! ;)
hehehehe sounds like you have OX66s

do yourself a favor and replace the VST filter, the screen in the pressure regulator and the injectors. Don't think...do...
https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/ox66-225-stumbling-when-running-over-3500-rpm.27657/

https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/ox66-fuel-injector-man.28234/

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
hehehehe sounds like you have OX66s

do yourself a favor and replace the VST filter, the screen in the pressure regulator and the injectors. Don't think...do...
https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/ox66-225-stumbling-when-running-over-3500-rpm.27657/

https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/ox66-fuel-injector-man.28234/

Well, Shit!!! LOL! sounds exactly what I have going on. It was rough yesterday when I noticed the issue.

and yes its an OX66. :oops:

27 fuel filters on this thing. how does gunk get that far into the system???

Last edited:

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yup. Looks like all the signs of a neglected ox66. Once the kinks are worked out you will be happy with it, but till then, wrap your head in foam. Your head and the wall will be better off. That is a reliable engine when maintained but when it isn't you will be beating your head into the wall trying to identify what makes the fickle beast unhappy.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Yup. Looks like all the signs of a neglected ox66. Once the kinks are worked out you will be happy with it, but till then, wrap your head in foam. Your head and the wall will be better off. That is a reliable engine when maintained but when it isn't you will be beating your head into the wall trying to identify what makes the fickle beast unhappy.
Unfortunately for me the previous owner took very good care of the boat until,,,, about e years ago. Sat for basically 2 years before i bought it last fall. So now with things running again it's knocking all the nasties loose.

Ordered the vst filter and oring, pressure regulator screen and engine filter cartridge.

Injectors I'll pull and send off for cleaning over winter.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
1 - Check your low pressure fuel pumps.
2 - Run a shock treatment to degunk and decarbon.
3 - Check the O2 sensor and passage.
4 - Check spark plugs to make sure a cylinder isn't running lean or one is very rich. If they are even, your injectors are likely fine and the issue lies upstream.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
1 - Check your low pressure fuel pumps.
2 - Run a shock treatment to degunk and decarbon.
3 - Check the O2 sensor and passage.
4 - Check spark plugs to make sure a cylinder isn't running lean or one is very rich. If they are even, your injectors are likely fine and the issue lies upstream.
Def going to run some cleaner thru everything. I imagine just from sitting everything is a little gummed up. New set of plugs are already on their way. I was told they had less than 20 hours on them. But let's see what they look like.