This Grady seems Shady

oldybutagrady

Reaction score
I have been looking to buy an older Grady for restore for quite some time, I though I finally found my lady but she has some issues and I need your help.
She is a 1987 Sefarer that has some rot issues that I need to determine are because of age or because of water intrusion or from the boat being under water.
When I removed the fuel tank cover there were bits of the foam flotation on top of the tank, this looks like it was from rodents eating at floatation.
The wood between the cockpit and the cabin looks like it has been replaced on both the Starboard and Port sides, it is not teak but a white board with plywood between. There is also a soft spot forward on the floor between the seats and the hinged cover.
The plywood between the gunnels and the cockpit where the seats are are also rotted.
I know I need to put in the time and effort into this boat but I am worried that she has been submerged at one point. If this was just a freshwater issue (plug left in), I will not be as worried.
Please tell me where to look for further keys if possible. Also are the stringers OK since they are encapsulated?
I really like this boat but I would like her to see the Grady 65th anniversary without retiring my disposable income.

Thanks in advance for your help,

uncljohn

Reaction score
Unfortunately noone on this board would be able to tell you if its freshwater intrusion or from submersion. But, that shouldn't matter if engine and electric works. Rotten stringers and deck panels are common in old Gradys, and my 88 Seafarer likes to take rainwater water into the bilge. You didnt mention the transom, but that's also common to be rotted and need replacement.

I don't like what you say about the wood betw the gunnel and cockpit. are you talking about the cabin wall of the cockpit, or the actual hull side?

Either way, an old boat is going to take work and $. It sounds like this is going to be a significant project, but probably worth the effort. But you should have a professional survey done.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There's a lot of wood in the boat, you just don't see it because it's behind or under glass.

Replace the wood, elec, flotation, gas tanks.

Then it's as good as new, ever if submerged prior.

oldybutagrady

Reaction score
The wood looks like it is between the seating area and the gunnel, right below where the wiring (PVC) tubes travel. Also the cockpit lights where the step up is to the walk around looks like it has seen some corrosion. Transom seems solid. Where would I look for soft spots from the inside bilge area. This Grady has the low cut outboard transom? Can the bilge where the gas tank is get that much water in her as to overflow to the top of the tank? the 2 x 4's running along the top of the tank look pretty soft also.

Thanks for the quick response guys, it means a lot.

oldybutagrady

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input guys, after finally talking to the owner through the dealer it sounds like it was fresh water that got in after the plug was left in boat while sitting on the lot. I put a contract in pending a sea trial, wish me luck. Is there anything I should be watching for when the boat is under sea trial. I know to run the wells and the fresh water system to check for leaks in the bilge. Any other input you guys have will be greatly appreciated.

gradytom

Reaction score
A surveyor (with a moisture meter) is a good investment, even on a proect. Will probably save you some time discovering all kinds of stuff.
Mine went on the sea trial with me, drove the boat and was very helpful.

oldybutagrady

Reaction score
I want thank everyone for the input, even after a few spider cracks and a few small bulges in the transom I pulled the trigger on the 1987 Seafarer. I decided it was time to stop nit picking and start working, well when the weather cools off a little anyway. As soon as I figure out how to upload my before picture I will do so. In the meantime what is the best source for parts such as windows and all the small stuff that I will be replacing? Another question if I can it looks like the baitwell pump is all the way forward in the Cuddy on the starboard side. Is this normal?
Also best solution for redoing teak?

Thanks in advance.