This week's puzzler - mooring in a protected bay

Barrettkatz

Reaction score
This week's puzzler:
I have a 209 Escape, and am on the water in a protected bay, with bulkhead, but no dock yet - [permits pending]. Sandy bottom, soft. Maybe 5-10' of beach. Tides about 2-3 feet in height, maybe 7 feet in length, to the bulkhead. Pilings at bulkhead. I want the boat at the house, for obvious reasons. How best can I anchor the boat to do this - two anchors, one placed on the beach by hand? One anchor at bow, tie down stern to bulkhead? Better idea? Advice welcomed.
Thx in advance.

capeguy

Reaction score
I installed this simple mooring last year in front of my cottage on Cape Cod. Tremendous holding power, easy set up. Key was for us at low tide the water is only a foot deep so we could "screw" it into the bottom with a turning bar. Works great. We added 1/2" chain to the mooring ball.

http://helixmooring.com/index.php/roungshaftanchors

Barrettkatz

Reaction score
Capeguy
Spoke to the folks in Belfast Maine; that anchor is a great idea; am looking into it.
Thx
B

JeffN

Reaction score
By proper mooring I was speaking of something like the helix or even a mushroom. Another possible option may be what used to be called locally a haul off. Looks like the old fashioned clothes line, a circular line tied off at one end and going through a pulley at the other. You would start with a helix or mushroom with a pulley rigged to the mooring ball and tied off to your pilings. You would attach the boat to the line from shore to the mooring and "haul off" the boat to the mooring. When you want to use it you simply pull the boat back to you. A similar setup is often used on dingy docks. As a youth a friend had his boat rigged off the beach in this manner and it worked well. It does not seem to be very common now. Simply tying off to a mooring would be good also. Your bow anchor - stern anchor might prove to be a little tedious in everyday use perhaps. Enjoy the boat, nothing like having the boat in your front yard.