Those kill switch thingies?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
MrNewbie here, back for another question. Might be better on the Hull Truth but I've gotten better info here so trying here first.

The little red coiled cord that you are supposed to clip to you is sort of a non-starter because you can't leave the helm. I've ridden in other boats and nobody clips it that I've seen. On top of that, the time you'll likely go overboard is when you are taking a whiz over the rail (I've found that the bow pulpit is the place to do it, you have to kneel or the boat will toss you out, but you get next to nothing on the boat. Perhaps too much information or a mental image you didn't want :)

I've seen adverts for devices you plum into your ignition, I think they are wireless, if you go overboard it cuts the engine and then will let you restart it 20 seconds or so later (so my kid can turn around and get me).

Has anyone gone through those and found one that that works?

Thanks in advance.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Lucky, I’d clip it bud. Is it annoying? You bet...but I have seen people...granted they were stupid people, fall out of their boat and the boat either took off and left them or ran over them.

I think I looked into info on the ones you were discussing that are wireless. Be sure andread the laws concerning Those. While the clip on is left OUT of those laws, the wireless ones are very specifically mentioned and I think everyone has to have one, cannot remember...just thought it was strange the old fashioned cord was not an issue but if you got fancy, you had to have a lot of restrictions.

That being said, heh...I clip it between runs, but not when “at” the fishing spot.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nope never use it.. But I do use a bucket in the cabin and pour that over the side.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
MrNewbie here, back for another question. Might be better on the Hull Truth but I've gotten better info here so trying here first.

The little red coiled cord that you are supposed to clip to you is sort of a non-starter because you can't leave the helm. I've ridden in other boats and nobody clips it that I've seen. On top of that, the time you'll likely go overboard is when you are taking a whiz over the rail (I've found that the bow pulpit is the place to do it, you have to kneel or the boat will toss you out, but you get next to nothing on the boat. Perhaps too much information or a mental image you didn't want :)

I've seen adverts for devices you plum into your ignition, I think they are wireless, if you go overboard it cuts the engine and then will let you restart it 20 seconds or so later (so my kid can turn around and get me).

Has anyone gone through those and found one that that works?

Thanks in advance.
Just make sure when you are on the bow pulpit, the wind is at your back. As for the kill switch, I think they are useless in a boat like ours. Not sure how we will fall overboard while at the helm of a cabin boat. I disconnected mine so it could never be a problem.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
What Spark said, I never use mine it is useless but I never fish on my own. If I go over for some reason there is someone on the boat to pick me up.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Empty Big Gulp=Porta Potty

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I'm not a fan of the cutout switch. When I built the Mako I didn't even add it to the cluster. The first time your going through an inlet and that dumb cord wraps around something and pops.....good luck. I won't ever use one of those again on a boat. On the Grady I didn't do the install so it's just the c-clip without the cord.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
To each his own, but when I'm alone in the boat, I wear it. Is it inconvenient? Yes. Might it save my life or someone elses one day? Yes.

Reactions: fastexas

Fishtales

Reaction score
The remote things work but as stated a real PIA. If you are away from the helm be out of gear or motors off for me.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
If solo I’d rather run a lanyard to a seat base that’s long enough to let me pee over the side but not enough to fall overboard. I’d also vote for a bucket or container that can be emptied overboard; the porta potty is too far forward to use in rough water.

bartoma

Reaction score
I can second the opinion on the Fell Marine wireless kill switch... That thing is probably the most important safety upgrade you can make on a boat... The lanyard switches are only useful when they are used, which is almost never... My Fell switch (first gen) was useless until they came out with a multi-engine harness for Yamaha - since then, it has performed flawlessly... I can't imagine operating my boat - especially solo - without it...

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I can second the opinion on the Fell Marine wireless kill switch... That thing is probably the most important safety upgrade you can make on a boat... The lanyard switches are only useful when they are used, which is almost never... My Fell switch (first gen) was useless until they came out with a multi-engine harness for Yamaha - since then, it has performed flawlessly... I can't imagine operating my boat - especially solo - without it...

That's the one I called the "thingie". It looks good but I've not used one. I think 3 of you like it. To the nay sayers, do you have a concrete reason why I should not install this? Perhaps I'm a crappy captain but I never hook up the lanyard so I want an answer that lets me fish solo and lets me fish with my kid and I have a chance of living. If Fell Marine works, why would I not install that?

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don’t see why you would not install the fell if you do a lot of solo fishing. The cord attached to my body on a cabin boat is pretty much useless and I have seen the kill switches malfunction while driving and not let you restart your motor. If I have to leave the helm, I have to unhook it. Then it does nothing. If I am hooked up and driving in the helm area, I have a 0 chance of falling overboard.
I can see where the fell could be very useful.

SaltwaterTom

Reaction score
Texas now requires the wearing of a kill switch for boats under 26 feet that are equipped with one.