Those kill switch thingies?

Family Tradition Fishing

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I think I've shared this before but incase I didn't. I was running back in from offshore on autopilot and it was pretty nice, had my feet up on the dash and the pedastal mount on my seat broke. The metal that attaches to the seat and slides over the shaft. I went from seated to on my back on the cockpit deck in an instant, missed a corner of my yeti style cooler by inches. Fortunately I wasn't injured or knocked out but if I had been alone and knocked out or injured chances are I'd not be here today to tell everyone about it. It should have knocked me out, probably should have broke my neck, I was very lucky. If I ever go out alone the lanyard will be attached.

Take it for what it's worth but I would have never thought the seat would fail in that manner.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Texas went further. If you have a wireless one, ANY person in the boat must have a kill attachment on. If you have the old fashioned cable... then only the person driving. That is why I do not use the wireless one, imo.

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
While it is a good idea to use them, its crazy that these rules are mandatory in places in the states.

I know of no such rules here in Canada. My personal opinion is that these things should be left to personal choice, but again, that's only my opinion.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The one that some used was called Auto Tether.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well, while it is annoying, a guy falls out of his boat on the local lake here and the boat keeps going, running over a kid that was swimming. So, not to spark a huge debate, but the kid did not get a chance to make a personal choice for the boater that lost control of his boat.

Kill switches are there for the safety of others just as much for the driver of the boat. We are not perfect, but there is a reason the law is in place, albeit I think it is a little misguided in the wireless aspect heh.. but, eh, I try to use my lined tether whenever I am driving.

Point in case, just in Orange Beach Alabama.. 1 dead, 1 lost an arm.. when 3 people were thrown overboard and the boat kept going in circles.

Granted... they were going fast and driving erratically.. so... eh

R

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
The receivers are not inexpensive and need batteries. What a PIA.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I don’t see why you would not install the fell if you do a lot of solo fishing. The cord attached to my body on a cabin boat is pretty much useless and I have seen the kill switches malfunction while driving and not let you restart your motor. If I have to leave the helm, I have to unhook it. Then it does nothing. If I am hooked up and driving in the helm area, I have a 0 chance of falling overboard.
I can see where the fell could be very useful.

Fell is ordered, should be here in a few days. My installer is ignoring me so I might have to do the install. Has anyone one done the 2 engine install (I have a kicker coming Tuesday)

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Fell is ordered, should be here in a few days. My installer is ignoring me so I might have to do the install. Has anyone one done the 2 engine install (I have a kicker coming Tuesday)

Hey Luckydude;

Wondered where you went; Hope boat ownership is going well. Thanks again for all the nice stuff you said; much appreciated!

Reactions: luckydude

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Hey Luckydude;

Wondered where you went; Hope boat ownership is going well. Thanks again for all the nice stuff you said; much appreciated!

I've been fishing! And fixing up my scotty down riggers. And learning about props. I'm still here and still grateful for your advice.

Reactions: magicalbill

Captain TJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The video above was clearly an open low sides vessel which is where you should definitely be wearing a kill switch but as Spark said above, when at the helm of a boat with a cabin in front above and behind you then the only chance of going overboard is if you are capsized and at that point the kill switch would again be useless. If you fish alone and need to run around the boat then the cordless switch definitely makes sense. I occasionally use my switch lanyard in my dinghy but never on the bigger boat. It does in the end all come down to opinion and level of risk you're willing to accept. We all accept at least some level of risk every time we do anything so be sure to make the call that is going to work for your own peace of mind and then just own it.

Reactions: Sparkdog118