Throttle Harness install on F250B Yamaha

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Squirrel damage to wiring harness. I see disconnect on Throttle end but where does engine end connect/disconnect. On engine? I havent opened cowling yet. Looking for anyone with experience.

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks, I thought so. Any tricks to snaking it through the ENGINE FLEX CONDUIT harness? Should I start the install from the stern, going fwd and aft or pull entire harness from fwd (helm) to engine?

seasick

Reaction score
I can't recommend one choice over another. It depends. I would probably see if I can get the harness out of the flex conduit assuming you can undo it at the lower cowling and probably where it bolts to the hull (motor well usually). Whichever way you are able to pull, tie a drag line to the end of the harness to help pull the new cable back. It is possible that you will need to pull other lines and/or cables out of the flex tube to make room for the harness connector. For example things like fuel hoses which don't have a big fat end are easier to pull as opposed to a harness with a big fat connector.
I have found that using a liquid soap and water mix can make it easier to pull lines through the flex tubing but often it can be a frustrating experience.
One thing I will suggest is that when you pull the new harness through the rigging tube, do not tie the drag line to the end connector. Instead fold back a foot or so of harness and tie the drag line there (using tape to keep the splice tight. It will be a lot easier to in effect drag any connectors as opposed to pulling them. Works for all kinds of cables. If you have a lot of room in the rigging tube, pulling from the connector will work but in my experience, there usually isn't a ton of empty space in the rigging tubes.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's a good idea about pulling the connector instead of "pushing" it, so to speak. Also wrap tape around the connector to create a smooth transition. Silicone spray is another lube that can help. It may end up being easier to just spend a few minutes to disconnect everything on the engine side - then the rigging tube can be straightened out.

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Got harness changed. Not too bad of a job. Recommend taking pictures under cowling and of flex conduit before removal. Disconnected flex conduit at both ends, battery cables, fuel line and wiring harness. Pulled old harness with pulling wire attached into boat. Pulled new back to engine and hooked up also used electrical wire lube. At this point remember to straighten new harness out before pulling through conduit or it kinks up. I did this with boat on a lift. The hardest part is getting cables hooked up. Doing this on land would be easier and would save your back.