throttle sticks

jcacchio

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Gulfstream with 275 hours and twin Honda 130s. The throttle is stiff and really difficult to shift from foward to neutral and to reverse. Really difficult docking in the wind. Sometimes hard to tell if I am in neutral when quickly shifting. Is this a major repair or could it have an easy fix?

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am not at all familiar with Honda outboards, especially the controls. However, if the shift and throttle are controlled by 'old fashioned' cables, it may be time to replace them. My boat had four (two throttle and two shift) cables that were original (2006), one of them failed early this summer. I replaced all four as a precautionary measure. Took about three or four hours from start to finish, not too hard, just wanted to do it once and do it right the first time.

If your Honda's are 'drive by wire' then most of what I just typed is worthless to you. Hope this makes some sense.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Another possibility, and worthwhile to check into first, is the tension adjustment. Like Tuna mentioned, I'm not too familiar with the Hondas (only have a little 50HP on my grandmother's boat), but most sticks have some type of adjustment screw to tighten or loosen the tension on the stick. Take a look and see what you see. Typically, back it out to release tension (C.C.W.).

How long have you had the engine and how long has it been like this?

Now, if it has been progressively getting worse (as opposed to always being like this)- then my answer would duplicate Tuna's. Although, for good measure, I'd still check the screw, first.

jcacchio

Reaction score
I bought the boat 3 years ago. Always a little stiff but really got very noticeable last month.

christo15

Reaction score
We bought our 2003 282 Salfish a couple years ago and we had that same problem. We went right to the Yamaha dealership and they knew it was the throttle cable. Once it was replaced shifting was MUCH easier. So I recommend replacing them.