throttles very tight!!!!

wfokas

Reaction score
i have a 2001 marlin, while going from neutral to forward or reverse, the throttles are very tight, sometimes making it hard to manuver in close. any ideas????? thanx

seabob4

Reaction score
I take it you have twin Yammis. Check your cable bends at both the helm and the motor. Not less than an 8" radius if you don't have 33C Supremes. Check your throttle friction screws on your binnacle. Loosen up, maybe a bit.

Your boat is 8 years old. Do a thorough check of your whole shift and throttle system. Things, especially mechanical, do tend to tighten up over time.

seasick

Reaction score
If it wasn't always like thay I suspect the cables need to be replaced. Note that a tight binnacle could be a bad throttle cable or a bad shifter cable. If you disconnect them at the engine, they will still be tight if bad. It is possible tha there is a shifter problem in the motor but a bad cable is more likely.

Sailfish25

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Most likely the cables. But has the shift rod been lubricated? I've been through both but on a much older boat/motor. Replacing the cables made a big difference.