Through hull drain fittings

DSims0718

Reaction score
Model
Trophy Pro
Good morning all…I am trying to replace the through hull drain fittings for live wells and fish boxes below the waterline on my 1987 257 Trophy Pro…any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!!…

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Good morning all…I am trying to replace the through hull drain fittings for live wells and fish boxes below the waterline on my 1987 257 Trophy Pro…any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!!…
Here is the type I used, they have the stainless cover that protects them from the sun and also makes them look more fancy without the expense.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20191124_171120.jpg
    20191124_171120.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 18

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Sims specifically said he's looking for "below the waterline", though. Sims, did you mis-speak? If it's below the waterline, you have to use bronze or Mareleon. However, since those fittings are already bronze, it would be really rare to have to replace them.

seasick

Reaction score
Some of the somewhat below and somewhat above the water line thrus were bronze with a chrome plated face. You might think they are stainless but they aren't.

The first picture looks to me like plastic with a chrome cover but the photo is pretty fuzzy and hard to see detail

Last edited:

DSims0718

Reaction score
Model
Trophy Pro
Here is the type I used, they have the stainless cover that protects them from the sun and also makes them look more fancy without the expense.
Thanks…I was planning on switching to stainless…..how about access?….I don’t have and access panels that I can see….do I have to remove the gas tank covers and go in through that way to get to the lower fittings?

seasick

Reaction score
As mentioned by Dennis G01, no stainless below the water line.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Thanks…I was planning on switching to stainless…..how about access?….I don’t have and access panels that I can see….do I have to remove the gas tank covers and go in through that way to get to the lower fittings?
I had a big challenge getting to mine, but they did have round removable access points to get to them. I'm not familiar with your model, so I don't know where the access would be. My forearms were not small enough to fit through the accesses, I had to get my skinny brother to help out. Mine are Molded from polypropylene with glass fiber for strength. None of mine are actually below the water line, slightly above. The originals were crumbling and a big threat for having problems, I'm very glad they are done!

DSims0718

Reaction score
Model
Trophy Pro
I had a big challenge getting to mine, but they did have round removable access points to get to them. I'm not familiar with your model, so I don't know where the access would be. My forearms were not small enough to fit through the accesses, I had to get my skinny brother to help out. Mine are Molded from polypropylene with glass fiber for strength. None of mine are actually below the water line, slightly above. The originals were crumbling and a big threat for having problems, I'm very glad they are done!
Thank you…I have the round access holes as well…..was hoping for something better and bigger!!…lol

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Thank you…I have the round access holes as well…..was hoping for something better and bigger!!…lol
It was a very challenging process, certainly something that has to be done correctly for safety reasons. If I went through the processes I had to do on some, your head would certainly be spinning. Patience and a lot of thought needs to be in place. Some of the old ones were very difficult to get out, and the live well fitting underneath on mine were a nightmare. Good luck with yours!

DSims0718

Reaction score
Model
Trophy Pro
It was a very challenging process, certainly something that has to be done correctly for safety reasons. If I went through the processes I had to do on some, your head would certainly be spinning. Patience and a lot of thought needs to be in place. Some of the old ones were very difficult to get out, and the live well fitting underneath on mine were a nightmare. Good luck with yours!
Thanks!….I’ll keep you posted on my progress….if I make any!…lol

Reactions: SirGrady226

brdawg2001

Reaction score
I thought I was going to do that...until I tried to do it...ugh...access is a nightmare and those nuts are impossible.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
I thought I was going to do that...until I tried to do it...ugh...access is a nightmare and those nuts are impossible.
I actually found a huge drill bit that I used to drill from the outside into the old fitting, it drilled a hole very close to the size of the threaded part and made removal easier. I think they used 5200 on them originally and it made the nut near impossible to turn.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So... Sims... you never really fully clarified, but are these NOT below the waterline fittings? Clarification and responding to posters that are trying to help is important when we only have words to deal with.

Assuming these are on the side of the hull... first, if you have the room, you can always install a larger access plate or a second one. Next, what are the current ones made out of? And, are you replacing JUST the ones on the side of the hull, or also the ones inside the boxes? Either way, you can't go through the fuel tank coffin since the stringers are in the way.

Side note... it sounds like you have never removed the gas tank hatch. Add that to your list of to do items so you can thoroughly check the condition of the fuel tank and hoses.