Thru hull access question

aassbb

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hello - we are getting into the thru hulls on a '94 Sailfish. Can anyone suggest access for this one in the starboard splashwell, without cutting a new hole? Thanks!IMG_3605.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Pics of the access from the other side of the door would help. Is there a floor hatch? If there is no access, then you're back to cutting a hole. There's no magical answer :)

Fishtales

Reaction score
Tough spot for sure. Either next to it or on the bottom of the spash well are your only options. The splash well area is pretty thin if like other GWs. I have 3 factory 6" deckplates in the bottom of my splash well. I'd recommend sealing every 3-5 years and changing to screw in deckplates.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
To get to the back side of that you are probably going to have to cut a hole. I'm not sure about your marlin but in my express I might be able to access that area by removing the batteries under the fish box and crawling over the generator, then maybe it would be accessible. What is that through hull for?

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
I looked hard at that. You're going to be removing the structure that holds the batteries and other equipment. Doesn't look like fun. I think the best is the 8" Beckson screw-in deckplate on the vertical inside wall. I got all the drains, hoses, clamps and deckplates. Just working up the nads to cut the hole.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I cut 6" holes on the step on the walkaround sides and relocated the circular cockpit hole that was there for some fusion speaker install. There was some beefy wood coring in that spot. Took the time to seal the wood and lifecaulk the speaker and cover in. Working up to the 8" hole. Got the 8" hole saw off Amazon. It'll be happening at some point. I don't want to wait for a hose rot failure.

aassbb

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thank you all. Poked around and can't see a way around cutting a hole.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Let us know how you make out.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thank you for the vote of confidence.
I understand your apprehension! When you haven't done this kind of thing much, it's a daunting task. Once you do a couple times, then you get more comfortable. Take comfort in knowing that OTHERS are comfortable doing it so you just need to get past the apprehension and then you'll be fine :)

Do you have a Dremel or Rotozip tool? A "sideways" cutting drill bit is very easy to use for this. Just take your time and you'll be good. Practice on the inside of the cutout area (away from your line) before you make the real cut. It doesn't have to be a PERFECT cut... but like a haircut, you can always take more off but you can't put it back on ;)

aassbb

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I understand your apprehension! When you haven't done this kind of thing much, it's a daunting task. Once you do a couple times, then you get more comfortable. Take comfort in knowing that OTHERS are comfortable doing it so you just need to get past the apprehension and then you'll be fine :)

Do you have a Dremel or Rotozip tool? A "sideways" cutting drill bit is very easy to use for this. Just take your time and you'll be good. Practice on the inside of the cutout area (away from your line) before you make the real cut. It doesn't have to be a PERFECT cut... but like a haircut, you can always take more off but you can't put it back on ;)
Was going to use a hole saw.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Was going to use a hole saw.
That'll work fine, too. I wasn't sure if you had the clearance for it in that area. Keep in mind that if you make the hole too small, it takes a few extra steps to re-cut a larger hole. If you can control the pressure well enough you don't need to do this, but otherwise start it in reverse until you get through the gelcoat to avoid chipping.

BUT... if you have a Dremel (which is a great tool), it'd be a lot less expensive to buy the sideways bit than purchasing a hole saw for that size... unless you already have one, of course! Although you may be able to find a cheapie one at Harbor Freight which would be fine for limited use.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You'll have clearance for a hole saw. It will do a nice job cutting the hole. I asked my dealer and they indicated their glass guy likes to cut a hole in the side of the hull near the thru holes.... You gotta be darn good to do that - above my pay grade.