Thru-Hull Replacement or service

Belting1313

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Looking for some advice. I have a new to me 2007 232 Gulfstream and it has all brass thru-Hulls. They all look to be in great condition and I see no signs of leaking. Is there any reason to remove and reseal the thru hulls? Is there any possibility that they leak into the hull and is not noticed inside the bilge? Is there any rule of thumb as to when they should be replaced or serviced? Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Bronze thru-hulls (hopefully you just used the wrong term) are fantastic. It's unlikely that need re-sealing at this point, but are you talking about below the waterline or above? It certainly can't hurt to re-seal, though.

Belting1313

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Yes, Sorry I miss-typed they are bronze thru hulls and the ones I am thinking about are below the water line. I only have three a Livewell, Head, and Washdown.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Although the sealant (if done well) can certainly last longer, I would consider (my opinion, of course) this a "best practice" thing to consider re-sealing at this point since it's under the waterline. To answer your other question, the only place the thru-hull/seacock would leak is exactly where you see them as the hull bottom is solid.

seasick

Reaction score
Unless I saw evidence of a bad seal, either some moisture on the inside around the nut or rust weeping stains around the outside, I wouldn't touch them. First of all it is a pain often to get to the thrus and secondly they may not want to come out, That could mean they get damages or the hull gets damaged trying to pry them out. If they were bedded with 5200 type of adhesive, you can pull off the gelcoat trying to remove them.
Isn't there something else you can worry about? :)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Unless I saw evidence of a bad seal, either some moisture on the inside around the nut or rust weeping stains around the outside, I wouldn't touch them.
Along that line of thinking, it's not like they're all of a sudden going to start gushing in water. It will start with a small weep that takes quite a long time to get worse. With no coring involved in the hull, they're really won't be any damage, either.