THRU-HULLS REPLACEMENT: WHICH DECK FITTINGS??

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
I would always replace my thru hulls as needed with the standard Perko plastic replacement ones since in the older hulls access was much more difficult than with the SeaV2 hulls.

I am now lucky enough to have newer hull, so access is much better and I would like to perhaps switch to Stainless this time around. Attwood seems to match up almost perfectly but which fitting did you guys use to replace the deck drains near the helm both port and starboard?

They are the ones that Grady finessed with the grey plastic elbow fittings. I would hate to have to go through cutting the Stainless new thru hulls just to match up how they did their install. May even just leave these as plastic ones..

Thanks for the assist

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi Nightides,

I have a 93 Explorer. I replaced all the thru hulls last year with fittings from Gemlux. This spring I am replacing the scuppers and deck drains.

I ordered the scuppers from www.firstchoicemarine.com. They are Attwood # ATT-66553-3. I should have them this week or next. The dim's seemed to match the plastic ones I took out. I'll let you know how they match up.

The deck drains are another story. I pulled them out as well. I could not believe what Grady did for those. They modified the (I think it is a Forespare plastic fitting) by snapping off the barbed end and putting the plastic elbow on, not even a clean cut.

As far as I can tell, the choices are limited for stainless replacements as the deck drain hole measures for a 3" flange and 1-7/8" ID hole.

I am waiting to hear back frm Gemlux on the flange size for the Low Profie Drain PN# 89506. www.gemlux.com

I also found some that may work from a company in the Netherlands.
http://www.westendmarine.nl/site/produc ... egorieid=4
I am waiting for more information.

I'll let you know on all of this as I find out.

If anybody else has some info on stainless deck drains please advise.

thanks,

Oceanbean
93 Explorer 245

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
I ended up replacing the old brittle plastic ones with more of the same for now. The old ones broke off real easy and I cut down a new set for that drain. Its just amazing how the sun weakens the plastic.

Everything else went stainless.. :)

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just to follow-up on the scupper and deck drains.
Again - this is for a 1993 Explorer. I have now changed all thru-hulls to SS. The scuppers and deck drains were the last.

As as been noted previously: Scuppers are Attwood SKU ATT-66553-3
Stainless Scupper Value, Barbed, 1-1/2" hose ID. I got them from www.firstchoicemarine.com. $41.30 each.

Deck drains were harder to find. But the ones I found are perfect.
Southco, INC. www.southco.com
Part number: M7-16-9005306 Drain grate with barb adapter combination, 1-1/2" SS. Price $62.58 each.

The deck drains fit perfect in the recess. A real upgrade over the plastic.

Be sure to clean away all the caulking (if it was 5200/4200) it is a battle.
A product called "goof off" seems to soften it up alittle. Otherwise it is alot of picking. Once you clean away the caulking the top side grate screws in the barbed elbow. Tighten with your deck key. I used a fresh layer of 5200 on both contact sides with the fiberglass.

SS deck drains connected to SS scuppers with a new piece of hose and she is set for a long time.

Oceanbean
1993 Explorer 245