Thrull Hull Transducers

sickday

Reaction score
I get quezzy thinking about anything that goes thru the hull, but in order to get the job done right, I am told that I need a thru Hull transducer. (My Furuno FCV 585 isnt displaying temp or speed and I lose bottom often). Anyone ever have any leaky issues or other issues associated with thru hull transducers? Are they worth the extra 700 bux and and stress of drilling my hull?

Seahunter

Reaction score
The way I look at it I already have 2 holes below the water line (washdown and live well intakes) what's one more? I have a B160 and it's works great. I use a paddle wheel on the transom for speed.

Boats Rock

Reaction score
I replaced mine when it failed. Take your time and prep the area inside and out carefully. The old transducer was sealed with 5200. Not necessary. A good below the water line sealant is better. The 5200 was so hard I had to grind the old transducer down to get it to release.

Patsy Mac

Reaction score
Model
Islander
It scared me as well, but I did it last year, take your time and it is no biggie. I am replacing mine again this week. I learned the hard way that each transducer matches up to a FF or chartplotter,and each plug may be different. I am removing a Airmar B744V for a Furuno, and will be selling it. It is one year old, 100 hours, and works fine. I bought a new one to match my new Raymarine A70D chartplotter.

Any interest? Make an offer.

Seahunter

Reaction score
Patsy Mac said:
It scared me as well, but I did it last year, take your time and it is no biggie. I am replacing mine again this week. I learned the hard way that each transducer matches up to a FF or chartplotter,and each plug may be different. I am removing a Airmar B744V for a Furuno, and will be selling it. It is one year old, 100 hours, and works fine. I bought a new one to match my new Raymarine A70D chartplotter.

Any interest? Make an offer.

Airmar makes the transducers for Raymarine, Furuno, Garmin and Lowrance. Airmar also makes adaptor cables so you can change head units w/o changing the transducers.

Patsy Mac

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I called them and they told me they do not make one for a furuno to Raymarine B744V conversion.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Contact Bill at BOE Marine, google, and ask for Bill when you call.

Ask him if he has a converter for that setup.

Seahunter

Reaction score
Patsy Mac said:
I called them and they told me they do not make one for a furuno to Raymarine B744V conversion.

I have a "generic" Airmar transducer on my Furuno. It comes with a cable @ 8’ length with a connector on the end. You then buy the cable that matches your head unit. Pretty neat.

Since you don’t have that option you could always just splice the two cables together. If you want to get fancy Airmar makes a nice water proof splice box. The schematics for the transducers are on the Airmar website.