Thruster Problem

Fishtales

Reaction score
Got another issue with my thruster. Last year the solenoid fried. It was a pretty scary incident as tge cabin filled with smoke when underpower. Thank goodness it stopped

This year the thruster works to port not to starboard. When it works, the solenoid clicks and the motor runs. When it doesn't I get the solenoid click. It was initially intermittent, now only works to port. There is basically the motor, the solenoid, and electronic module, a wiring harness and the joystick.
I believe the joystick, harness and motor are fine. Not sure if it is the solenoid (again) or the electronic module is the issue this time. If anyone has any experience troubleshooting or knows where to order parts for the thrusters, I'd appreciate any information.

Thanks.

pablor

Reaction score
I have had the same problem 2-3 times. The thruster motor selenoid is corroded. About $500 part. Grady ended up replacing my thruster as the boat was leaking water, thus submerging the thruster in water and the selenoid going bad. A little bit of salt water will ruin it in a few day...

Fishtales

Reaction score
Thanks. GW used the SP55 model in the mid 2000s and then converted to the SE60 in later model 300s and for the other 30'ers. Probably bigger ones in the 33 and 36 hulls. Check with GW or get it off the thruster itself. I had documentation in my GW manual for the SP30/40 models which was incorrect.

There was a wiring harness and electronics module upgrade as well. So check for this as well if you have an issue. The folks at Imtra were very helpful. There is a thruster troubleshooting guide avail on their website. It pretty much shows how to isolate a failure to a major component. The solenoid for the SP55 is SM41472123DC88. It runs $200.00. There is also a wiring diagram online as well.

I plan to troubleshoot to ensure it is the solenoid and then replace at layup when the batteries are disconnected.

pablor

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
Thanks. GW used the SP55 model in the mid 2000s and then converted to the SE60 in later model 300s and for the other 30'ers. Probably bigger ones in the 33 and 36 hulls. Check with GW or get it off the thruster itself. I had documentation in my GW manual for the SP30/40 models which was incorrect.

There was a wiring harness and electronics module upgrade as well. So check for this as well if you have an issue. The folks at Imtra were very helpful. There is a thruster troubleshooting guide avail on their website. It pretty much shows how to isolate a failure to a major component. The solenoid for the SP55 is SM41472123DC88. It runs $200.00. There is also a wiring diagram online as well.

I plan to troubleshoot to ensure it is the solenoid and then replace at layup when the batteries are disconnected.

the thruster on the 36 is a lewmar.

Regardless, you can switch the wiring from port to starboard and see if the clicking switches sides or not. in my case it pointed to the selenoid...

Fishtales

Reaction score
There is a side power troubleshooting guide available to assist in fault isolation. If you google "side power troubleshooting guide dc thrusters" you should find it.