thumbs up service fr. Charles Marine (batt chargers)

bc282

Reaction score
i was planning to install and replace the 3 boat batteries this coming season from lead acid DC to AGM's. I looked at the boat's charger (fr. Charles Marine) and on the description plate it states L.A. for battery type (lead acid). I didn't want to replace the charger since it was working fine, only the batteries so i sent an email to Charles Marine and Larry Budd the very next day sent a perfect reply detailing my options and specs for batteries and compatability. Kudos to Larry and Charles Marine and glad to see Grady uses suppliers who share in their level of customer service. :D

sluggoe

Reaction score
so what was his recommendation?

i have the exact same situation as you.....

--slugg.

bc282

Reaction score
Larry Budd of Charles Marine's reply to me

Initially my question to Charles Marine:
hello,
i have a 93-12205E-B (serial# A020200B0) marine battery charger aboard my boat.
i believe it is a 3 bank 20 amp unit.
currently i'm utilizing (3) lead acid deep cycle batteries for starting and house power but am considering to change the batteries this coming season to AGM type batteries.
will my current charger be fine with AGM's or is it suited and set up for lead acid units only?

Larry's prompt reply:
It may be possible to use the charger as it is currently set.
Many AGM batteries on the market can be charged using our Lead Acid setting. (Odyssey, Optima, Deka, Exide West-Marine's AGM's, etc.)

Currently, the only AGM type battery I am aware of that would require an adjustment is the 'Lifeline' brand.

As a "just in case" please check with the manufacturer(or on their web page) to verify they can accept a "bulk" rate of charge equal to 14.5v , then a "float/maintenance" rate of charge equal to 13.6vdc.

If you feel that you need to make an adjustment, I have attached a diagram that points out the R1 adjustment potentiometer.
-Turn off power to the charger and remove the DC negative wire from the charger output.
-Locate R1 and remove the blue sealant so you can make adjustments.
-Connect a DC voltmeter between the charger's DC negative terminal and any of the charger's DC positive terminals.
-Apply power again and adjust the voltage downward by 0.3vdc .
-Turn off the charger, reconnect the DC negative wire to the charger's output terminal and replace the cover.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,
Larry Budd
Charles Marine & Industrial Products
Technical Services

To learn more about Charles, please visit us at:
http://www.charlesindustries.com/main/marine.html
Serving the Marine & Industrial Markets

adjustments%20%20for%2093-12202EG-B.JPG