Tiger Cat Guy's

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Got a leaking steering cyl. Bleeding is a little trickier with the cats so I'm researching it. Ducked in the World Cat forum and found 13-pages of Sea Star steering problems :jaw

1) The main issue is that guys are bleeding according to the Sea Star procedure and having problems. Come to find out World Cat rigs the steering differently and you have to follow WC instructions not Sea Star's. Hmmm, says a little something for WC. Do you guys follow the Sea Star procedure to the letter?

2) When rebuilding the cyl with the HS 5157 seal kit are there any special tricks I need to follow because of the small motor well/transom area of the Tiger Cat?

3) When in the water, it appears that the prefered way to store the motors up is hard over to port or stbd. Reason being that there is no pressure on the system. Do you find that to be the case with the Grady's?

4) Other than trueing up the Hyd tie bar occasionally, what problems are you guys experiencing?.

teaklejr

Reaction score
Hello. If you want you can call me at (443)864-6394 and I can tell you how I did it. Easier than trying to type it. If not let me know and I will send you a message.
Tim E.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Tim, will do. Right now I'm up to my ears removing the Sea Star brackets to the stb motor so I can replace seals in the cyl.

raisinkane

Reaction score
Tucker, sea star replaced my rams because the originals were defective on all earley tigercats in 2003. I have always bleed the system in exact order of their instructions, with excellent results. I have had marine mechanics take short cuts, or do it with a pump and the result was air in the system. If you need a copy I can fax it to you. Please reply back with your phone call conversation with the other member as I may learn something thanks Steve

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks raisin, got all the Sea Star instructions and it seems straight forward. I'll post how this project goes. Just finished bottom last night and will be tackling other stuff waiting for the seal kits. As a a couple of FYI to the Tigercat guys some things that I'm living you might want to keep an eye on: 1) Port engine rigging tube had sea water in the bend. Main battery cable swollen from water absorption, $135. Raise it up occasionally to drain. Stb steering ram leaking. Brackets are a bitch to remove. Sea Star says these should be removed every year and greased along with the shaft. How many of you do that?

teaklejr

Reaction score
We were down in Bethany beach last summer and my starboard motor would not start after sitting and relaxing for awhile. Took awhile to figure it out but it was the battery cable in the rigging tube had corroded away also. Glad were were only a few miles from the marina and still had the port motor.