Tigercat X-26 or F-26

billyttpd

Reaction score
Looking for owners to give some input on there experience with either model Tigercat...specifically if they anchor while fishing....I fish Delaware bay for stripers and drum and am wondering about how they lay at anchor...do cats swing more than v-hulls....I don't see many around here. Also how do they drift? Just wondering as there are a few for sale in the area. Also any recommendations on what motor is ideal would be great.

JeffN

Reaction score
Not much feedback for you I see. If you do a search you should find some old threads about the Tigercat. There were a few in the last couple of years, you should find some helpful info in them.

billyttpd

Reaction score
Was it something i said??LOL I guess I will try a search. Thanks for your reply.

raisinkane

Reaction score
i always Tie it off on on the cleat and have no problems. With all the freeboard they have the wind can blow them around, but I never had a problem i couldn"t deal with. Check out the WC fourm.

JeffN

Reaction score
billyttpd said:
Was it something i said??LOL I guess I will try a search. Thanks for your reply.

Just not many out there, particularly Gradys. Some love cats some not so much. I think they make a lot of sense but what do I know. Good luck with your search.

himetro

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.metrometro.com
I've had my X26 for one season in Ocean City. Love it, love it, love it. I've anchored at the south jetty in OC for Rock, I've drifted the channels for flounder. I love this boat.
I've got Yamaha 200s and the boat has plenty of power. Gets to 45+mph on a calm day
Sucks gas for sure
The boat is smooth as can be. I just love the way it takes other boats wakes (in the ocean city bay, it's like the wild west on the weekends) and it feels sturdy going offshore through the inlet. Drifted the wrecks several times offshore.

I think it's the perfect boat. The key to a smooth ride is the trim, keep it trimmed up higher than you may be used to in a v hull. If you don't, the front will dig in and you'll feel like you don't have control. I have the cc model, not the cabin. I can understand why the cabin may have gotten some negative press because of the weight up front combined with the need to trim. I've never ridden the cabin style.

When the water is really smooth, the boat does shift back and forth on it's hulls. That's the only odd thing. But, it's not alarming.

kamjd84

Reaction score
I owned a 99 X-26 for a few years and absolutely loved it...wish I still had it. Cats have some quirks, but once you are used to it, you find that the boat does some incredible things for their size. I fished off of Long Island for Striped Bass and we drifted some pretty big rips, as well as anchoring and the boat was great. Rocking motion is a bit quicker than mono hulls but leveled out a little quicker as well. The F-26 is not as well balanced. The raised platform and extra weight forward doesn't feel right.
As far as performance, I could do 25 - 30 in 3' sea's in any direction with passengers in the bow seats...it was incredible. It can fly over ferry wakes like they were nothing. Large following seas (4'-6') were a problem though. It couldn't take them unless going directly down sea. It was my wife's favorite boat. Best of luck!

billyttpd

Reaction score
Thank you all for the great feedback been off of here for a bit. Im going to be looking a lot harder for one..it sounds like it will do everything I want and then some...I find mostly F-26's for sale have so far only found one X-26...and the search begins.

Steely_Miami

Reaction score
So, I bought an X-26 Tigercat in 2000 and have owned it for 13 years now. After 2500 hours on the engines, I repowered about 3 years ago to the 200 HP Yamaha HPDI. This boat is a GREAT boat! Anyone who has been on a V hull will tell you how this thing cuts through about anything you want to be in. The F version is a total waste. I'd never even consider owning it. The X version - totally different - totally awesome layout - works for the family and the guys for great fishing. I've had a commercial Captain on my boat and he said it was a better ride than his custom built 34' boat. That's a guy who's been in the business for 30 years. Anyway, it's got to be the best boat out there for planing hulls - great layout, great capabilities - it's just the most awesome boat ! I love it. If you can get one, get one. They are few and far in between. People who own them are not in the habit of getting rid of them... there's a reason for that. After being on countless other people's boats, there's just nothing I'd rather own. Until Grady puts out a 36' version of this boat with another 4' aft section and even more seating up front, I'm holding onto this.

triple_header_8_00.jpg
- Here's a triple header

DSCN2163.JPG
- We added a crow's nest and an auto pilot - works really well. At Ocean Reef for the Grady Owner's Fishing Tournament

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txGiObcmUb0

Tigercat

Reaction score
I just sold a 1998 FTigercat had the boat for about 3 years I bought the boat going off the guy that owned the FTigercat information said it rode good also that it was the best boat out there and could ride better than a 35 V hull that's a lie drive them and ride in them before you purchase the boat I'm glad I sold the FTigercat :uhm