Tigercat's Got A Leak!

GreenGrunt

Reaction score
The other day, while running across Tampa Bay (about 6:00pm, partly cloudy, winds 10 knots and steady from the South, light chop on the bay), my 1997 F-26 Tigercat started to list to port. Because the wind was on the starboard beam, I didn't think much of it and continued on ... about 20-22 knots. As the list became greater, my crew moved to the starboard gunnel with no noticeable difference. When we got into the channel and in the lee of 4 story condos and the list didn't improve, I turned around and headed for the beach. We got to within 30 yards of the beach, in 3 feet of water, and set the hook. By that time the aft part of the cockpit - port side - had about half an inch of water. The next morning I saw the boat had righted herself on her waterline marks and was almost dry (the toilet was full to the rim).
Twice, I have attempted to replicate the event with folks who are more knowledgeable than I am and they cannot find the source of the water intrusion.
I''ve run out of ideas. Any ideas?

GreenGrunt
Ruskin, FL
1997 G-W F-26 Tigercat
2011 Yamaha 150 4-strokes

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Marine head valving / hru hull valve may have not been in right position and SW backed up while in motion.

Does the Tiger have bilge pumps? Was it running ejecting water when you left boat at anchor?

The water on the cockpit deck you found, where does it drain to while boat is stationary, say of it was if it was rain instead ?

GreenGrunt

Reaction score
Bob - Thanks for your reply.

Because its a catamaran, its got 4 bilge pumps; one forward and one aft in each hull. One thing I discovered and will fix: the forward starboard pump's float switch needs to be replaced.

When I waded to shore, three bilge pumps were merrily pumping away.

The head is in the starboard hull, right in front of and below the helm.

Is it possible for the thru-hulls for the head to almost sink the port hull?

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Isn't the livewell or washdown on the port side?? It would be on of those not the head. And you have those POS linkage arms to operate the thru hulls. Gotta lay on your belly and operate them by hand. In theory you should be able to run with both of those thru hulls open but if you have a leak in the pump, or hose you can sink the boat. If you had a mono hull, you'd probably be on the bottom.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd get 2 high level alarms. 2 bilge pumps might keep you afloat with a 3/4" hole but for how long? You shouldn't keep any valve open that's not currently being used. Open the discharge when need it, for the "flush", if the valve is too hard to get to, use a bucket of water.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There needs to be an explanation why your head was full nearly to rim.

Go out again in similar conditions and course, and keep all thru hulls closed this time, see if it happens again.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Somehow I don't think we getting the rest of the story. If Green had other folks out on the boat trying to replicate the condition, how come it didn't happen again? Did he close the sea cocks? I still can't get over the fact that the pontoon was completely full of water to the point it was coming up through the pie plates and the boat didn't sink.

gw204

Reaction score
Were you running with the cabin doors closed so you couldn't see inside?

Here's my theory...

Water is entering the port hull not through a leak in the plumbing, but through the hull to deck joint in the aft portion of the port hull. As you run in chop, water is forced into an opening and starts filling the hull. When it gets high enough, it comes up through the hole that's probably in the port side of the cabin floor, fills that areas then spills over into the head. The level rises in there until it fills the toilet. As the boat sits, it pumps out all of the evidence.

Any water in the drawers under the forward berth?

bfrank

Reaction score
Interested in a report update here... Maybe some pics.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Forgot all about those stainless splash guards. Think raisin got it. The Tigercats have almost vertical hulls without any spray rails. Not sure if that is typical with all cats.